• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ransom and Blood...

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ransom and Blood (starting Jan. 3rd, 2009)

A scavenger hunt quest with tricky riddles. Those who solve the quest can participate in a lottery at the next Black Market on February 7th, at 8pm EST. This means, you have 4 weeks to solve the quest.

IMPORTANT: Please do not give away the solution of the quest riddles, or the location of quest stations! This quest is meant as a challenge for riddle-solvers, and we don't want to spoil this challenge. It can be solved by anyone who uses his wit, and it only is most fun when you try it by yourself.

A warm breeze crept up from the south, raising the fine sand into the air, covering the floor boards of the Trammel beach house with a layer of yellow dust. The sun was just throwing its first powerful orange rays across the sea by the sandy lagoon south of Trinsic, lighting the waves with frisky glitter and gleam. The scenery could almost be called romantic, if a terrible exposure hadn't cruelly ruined the peaceful morning mood. Large dark-red drops of blood ran down the bollard fixed to the front stairs, desiccating on the weather-beaten wooden surface, leaving strange river-like traces on it. On top of a bollard, a head of a decapitated person was laid out, its white dead saucer-like eyes staring desperately at any passer-by. Beneath the head, the red blood-stained cover of a tattered book was protruding...

[Edit Jan. 15th: Five people have solved the quest so far (I don't know how many tried). To solve the riddles you need persistence and patience. Often, the adventurers were thinking outside the box, while the solution was right in front of their eyes. Remember, anyone can solve the quest, you don't need an IQ of 120 to do so. Mostly, you just have to read carefully. The quest was meant to be difficult! If you're impatient, don't bother to try. I decided to give the adventurers more time to solve it: until the next Black Market on February 7th. The rewards will be quite interesting. Have fun!]

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have great respect for anyone who hosts an event. This one is quite gory, but very interesting.

I didn't know it had started yesterday. I may be to late to begin trying, but I'd still like to play along.

Eeeeew. Gory. =-D

Shh!

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*bump*

(I posted some additional information above)
I finally finished it. Had a great time too. I highly recommend those that enjoy the quests that EA puts out to give this one a go. You'll enjoy yourself!

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm trying as hard as I can...sadly I suck at a lot of things in UO. I'm having the hardest time trying to figure out if some listed cords are in "true Ultima Online" sextant cords or UO-auto map cords. I've been running all over the place double-clicking my sextant.

But, I shan't give up. =-)

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, if you are trying to find coordinates, make sure you're on the correct landmass!

M

Moonwynd

Okay, well, I've gone over this quest at least 3 to 4 times. Gone from place to place, reread all the books and bulletin boards and still I'm at a dead end. Don't know what I missed. :(

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't feel to bad...I never was able to get past the guild house! lol. I love the fact that the Pirates put on an event...I just wish I was better at these kind of things. :)

M

Moonwynd

I love the fact that the Pirates put on an event...I just wish I was better at these kind of things. :)
Arrr, I totally agree wit ya there, Bob!! Leave it to the bloody pirates to know how to have a good time! It brings the pirate in me alive, har and Me hats off to 'em fer that.

Mebee you and me should put our bloody heads together and work on this. Seeing that there may only be 2 others that 'ave finished its not gonna be much of a lottery if there's only 2 people in it. ;)

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Interesting feedback!
If you got stuck, send me a PM, and maybe I can give a hint.

Always remember: When you read a hint carefully, it will point you directly to the next step. Everybody who was stuck I spoke to, overlooked something in the hint. The riddles themselves are not too difficult. Finding or interpreting the hint correctly sometimes can be difficult.

Again, EVERY hint tells you clearly how to find the next one.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye Captain Pike...****Sends an owl flying off with a note attached to its leg**** I'm sending you a pm via owl. Maybe I'm reading something wrong. :(

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Allow me to give credit for the most amazing, entertaining, and mind twisting event EVER put together by a player in all of Ultima Online. I have never enjoyed myself as much as I did when engaging this mystery. I had an absolute blast!

If I had my way I'd make this event a permanent quest line in Ultima Online. I hope ALL of my friends will do this quest. It is a complete joy!

To all the United Pirates, and any others who made it possible, I thank you. You guys are amazing!

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! :D

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congratulations! To my knowledge, you are maybe the 4th person who solved this quest in the last 2 weeks. Don't miss our lottery on the next Black Market at Feb 7th, 8pm EST, where we will hand over valuable prizes to the successful adventurers.

M

Moonwynd

Whew! Finally finished!
*wipes sweat from brow and a slimy goop from dress* *hmmm, that doesn't exactly sound like sumting a nice lady would do...*

T'ank ye, sir, for dat bloody adventure!! I be settin me sails towards dat grand event of de Black Market on 7 Feb.

*hastily clears work calendar for dat night off*

M

Moonwynd

In effort to keep this quest alive, I am posting a reply to refresh it and bring it back to the top of the forum :) The quest is still active and will be until Feb 7. Perhaps there are still some quest enthusiasts who would like to give it a go. Begin by reading Hawkeye Pike's original post at the top of this page and take it from there.

Enjoy and Good Luck!!

K

katherinepgoh

This quest is very interesting and very fun, and takes you to places that you might not otherwise visit! I hope everyone tries it!

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahoy all!

The quest is now active again.
Unfortunately, some matey had taken down his house which contained ain important hint. I was able to find a replacement and repair the quest. Ye can start the quest as usual at the Jolly Roger Inn. Follow the lead of the book under the head on the front steps.

Hawkeye Pike

T

tsath1972

Completed! This quest is very fun and I recommend it to anyone who might read this.

C

Corvak

I'll check this out next time someone is in haven throwing around runes to the Inn.. :)

A

Ally Oop

That was an awsome adventure to say the least!!!!

Very well done. Thanks to all involved!!!

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Finished this today, thank you Hawkeye for a wonderful time, and for including the [stricken so as not to reveal a clue] in your quest.