• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Random Disconnects

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is anyone else randomly losing connection? It's happening to me and I immediately log back in only to be told that UO cannot be contacted. After ten or so seconds it works fine.

My streaming music and web browsing aren't losing connection, only UO.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For me, it does not appear to be random.
o It happens whenever someone else tries to connect to or disconnect from my wi-fi
o It's likely to happen when I've been "away from keyboard" for a while

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm the only one on my wifi and I've been here active the whole time. It's not the usual, afk too long thing. I'm active doing stuff (BODs before, now training pets) and I just lose connection.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Welcome to Jirel's world. It's been happening a while now to her. Strangely we're in the same house and share a Wi-Fi and I'm not getting knocked off just her.
LOL you should hear the colorful language every time she loses connection. :rant2::yell: Those are what she looks like alright. I am just puzzled why we're both not losing connection. :confused2::confused:o_O

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's happening more and more frequently to pretty much EVERYONE I know in game. For me personally, about every 30-45 minutes or so. I suspect it is something the devs have inadvertently done. @Mesanna @Kyronix @Bleak Any thoughts? At least to let us know y'all are aware of it, and are hopefully getting it fixed. Between this and the "no memory available" error about every 3rd time I try to open a 2nd account, and having to reboot my computer (which is getting real close to being a "deal breaker" for me), it's getting easier and easier to spend time doing other things than UO.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not only UO. I'm getting connection issues all over the place, like Netflix, YouTube, Slither, Agar.io, and Diep.io.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been dealing with disconnects for a couple months now... Mostly it's UO, and multiple times a day. Sometimes 4-5 times in a row. Often wind up with a sync error when I try to log back on, or it takes an incredibly long time.

I've also been suffering excruciating lag at EM events since the disconnects started. I've run countless tests and at the very least can say it's not on my end. It's either my ISP or UO itself. (Though while my internet has occasionally dropped out, probably due to weather and older lines, it's generally just UO)

Edit: I should add that the lag issues aren't just at EM events... I'll often freeze randomly for anywhere between 10 seconds to a few minutes... The events are just when it's at it's worst.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
o If the situation improves when you sit closer to the router, you may want to move the router.
o Use a program such as inSSIDer which will let you see how your signal strength compares to your neighbors'. You may find that if you switch channels you can get better signal. (The "automatically" channel setting for your router is supposed to give you the best, but let me tell you, mine totally doesn't. It always pick channel 1 and that is never a good choice.)
=

o How come laptops don't have a jack for plugging in a Pringles antenna?
o Off topic, how come laptops don't have an actual switch for turning off the monitor?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I had an issue last night, but it was a known issue with my provider (hell, right now, I've got 6meg down, but 12meg UP, which is REALLY bizarre, since it's usually 60/12).

IT was so bad last night that when I tried to collect from the skara tree, I could get 0-2 steps, then freeze, with a 50% chance of losing a connection each freeze - which was a pain trying to get to my usual log spot in New Haven on Legends (where I helped on the tree). I couldn't even log into my provider's page to run a speedtest because the login attempt timed out before it finished.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well for me my Provider states that they reserve the right to do updates between the hours of midnight and 7am so they can maintain their service during "peak" usage hours... etc... bs, bs, bs... and it never fails when I'm in the middle of doing something seriously important... that the internet goes down for "maintenance"... Since I work nights, it's often while I'm on and playing those hours of midnight to 7am... and ugh I hate it... but they offer NO warning... just the statement about when they do maintenance... they said that you could download some app that would help you with service know where outages are etc... but even that doesn't warn you that they are turning the lights off on you so to speak at random hours in the night.

Seriously irritating. They did it to me this morning at 04:30 am to 04:48... I was in a panic because I had "JUST" unlocked something to move it... tried to place it back down and got the "connection lost" thing... freaked out because server down is at 05:00... so was like OMG OMG OMG don't let my (*&$)&$ Internet be down till server down.... barely made it back in locked the item down and secured it before the dreaded server down... but *screams* I so hate that.

As for the random disconnects even on the 1GB service from my ISP, with the PC hard wired into the internet etc... still randomly drops UO... However when that happens I typically hear my Graphics Card running it's fans at full tilt... like it's working extra hard at things... this does not give me the yellow triangle like I get when my ISP shuts down my internet... it just disconnects either Discord or more generally whatever game I'm playing.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is only UO for me. Can hit youtube or hulu and they work fine with no lag. On the bright side I am no longer getting the constant X86 errors. It also is not consisten one log in can play 2-3 hours without a hiccup, log out and come back 20 minutes later and it is a huge lag fest until it drops me. Kill the client reboot and all is good again. Although sometimes just killing the client and reopening works, without rebooting 50/50 on that though. Where I get trapped more than any place is the "Connecting" Screen. That has stayed open and *Connecting* for two hours before. Thus leading me to believe Vic is correct and it is Skynet taking control via UO.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's definitely not ISP or speed related. Having Google Fiber is nice for that. It's UO and only UO that I, and others, have issue with.

@Bleak Any ideas?

Tildi Daintree

Adventurer
Just wondering which client everyone is using, who are having this dropout issue?
Classic?
Enhanced?
Pinco's?
Would be interesting to know whether client preference, is playing a part in this problem.

I play in Enhanced, Hubby plays in Pinco's.
I have been OK whereas he is constantly losing connection.

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will add this to my list of issues to review. Is this issue happening for a specific server? Have you run trace routes when you encountered the issue? Does this happen at certain times of the day? Are you running multiple clients when you first encounter this issue? Which client is being in used? Any other additional information that is not already listed in this thread is welcome.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will add this to my list of issues to review. Is this issue happening for a specific server? Have you run trace routes when you encountered the issue? Does this happen at certain times of the day? Are you running multiple clients when you first encounter this issue? Which client is being in used? Any other additional information that is not already listed in this thread is welcome.
Happens more on Origin and Chessy for me than on Siege, Legends or LS.

Times where it hits the worse seem to be between 9pm-11pm Central Time

Happens less often with one client (About 25%) Less. 7 clients open and it is guaranteed to hit within 5-10 minutes :)

Consistently run 60/150 receive transmit

I only use the CC with no bells and whistles legal or otherwise

Always starts with noticeable lag, the take two steps wait 10 seconds, take 2 steps wait 20 seconds take 2 steps disconnect. Once that happens the whole client clows down to a snails pace and the connecting to servers takes from several minutes up to never connecting. Only solution I have found it a total system reboot, killing the client and reopening it rarely resolves the issue. It might happen after 5 minutes of play time or two hours or just doesn't happen. But it happens more often than not. I first noticed it getting bad about 3 weeks ago.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For me it's happening on Catskills. I haven't run any trace routes since I don't really know how. Happens to me at any point during the day, but seems more frequent in the evenings. It happens regardless whether I'm running one or two clients. I play strictly Classic.

Half the time it'll drop with no warning, the rest of the time I'll suffer either severe lag or completely freeze beforehand. Seems about 80-90% of the time attempting to log back in leads to a synchronization error and I'll have to restart the client. There have also been a few times where I've restarted and I still get a sync error.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have also noticed that certain areas of the game seem to be worse than others. The labyrinth in particular. I Zipped in pulled a 2 slot reptalon out and tamed it and sat inside answering questions about reptalons to a couple of folks that watched me tame it. Everything was working slick and seamless until we ended the conversation and headed out. It literally took me 5 minutes to get from the first building from the exit to the exit and a full minute to recall to the house and it crashed/disconnected upon arrival after the recall. That was around 10:30-11pm CST

swampjumper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It first started crashing every other time we went to the Abyss(My Wife and I) on CC the past 2 months says cant find music file then crash. Now its doing it everyware on all the shards I go to(Dracs,Catskills,Siege,Legend,Baja,Pacific,Sonoma and Lake Austin) It came about the time we got several patches back I am tired of keeping dying because UO has crashed.Wife has got to the point she hates to go to the Abyss. and she is the Ranger of the Abyss and needs to take care of her house.Please fix thiswe will try to copy the report the next time it happens and post on here.

swampjumper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just happened again(File Error) failed to open file c:\program files(x86) \Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\Music\Digital \ walking.Mp3:Er4ror 1701920 after file closed 2nd file comes up out of memory to continue execution. If you do not have Virtual Memory enabled. This could be the problem.Otherwiwse you may be low on disc space or may need to increase the allocation of virtual memory/ I say bunk and bs i am not even using a 20 percent of hard disc and have increased virtual mem am running 8 gigs of memory on this comp wife running 16 gigs on hers come on fix it.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's been only Sonoma for me so far. But others have said other shards as well.
I have not run trace routes. But if/when it happens again i will.
So far it's been mostly in the evenings for me.
I dual client with my laptop and an hdmi connection to a monitor. Both usually lose connection at the same time. However, I have had an instance or two when it was just one account. I did not take note of the conditions at the time though.
Classic client with one occasionally using UOAssist.

I appreciate the response!