• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Raising Wrestling and Tactics - Did I screw up?

Jazzer

Adventurer
I have trained this Beetle up to a slot 5 and the Wrestling and Tactics has not changed. It started off at 56.5/53.0 respectfully. I got it up to 5 slot attacking the crazed mage and now I am in Shame attacking mud elementals which has 120 wrestling and those two skills aren't moving. It says it is gaining slightly but not in those two. Anatomy is up in the mid 90s. What gives? Did I train it up to fast and now raising the skills will be harder? Any ideas what I did or doing wrong? I may have screwed up and hit the red button after I got to slot 5 and choose what I wanted, now there is no blue button to train. Will its skills go up? As the below post says, this is my first pet training so please forgive what might be a stupid question. Thanks.

Jazzer

Adventurer
I spoke to someone. I think I know what I did wrong. When I started, I went to the crazed mage and got my beetle up to 100% in training then immediately increased my resistances using the 1501 points. Each time I leveled up I went and spent my points so after I hit level 5 (slots) and used my points I didnt have any left to increase my skills to 120 (I still dont really understand this). On top of that, my wrestling, tactics and RS had not gone up so at the end I had a 5th level bug with bad stats and it was hard to increase them.

The person I spoke with said to bond with the beetle then go to the crazed mage and start the first training. Don't fight the crazed mage directly at first but in tangent with others. Get to the first 100% completion but don't spend the points yet but instead, try and increase the pets skills up to about 80% in Wrestling, Tactics and Anatomy at which point I would use the first 1500 point and increase Stamina, Dexterity and Resistances. I would also increase Hit Points to 250 and the rest in Strength.

The Second level of training is when you get your skills to 90% (Is the correct and can you do it with only 250 hit points?). The second set of 1500 points would be spent on Hit Points, Mana and Stamina Regenerations, and the rest in Strength (why Strength instead of Hit Points?).

The Third level of Training you should have the pets skills to 100%. At this point use the 1500 points to increase your skill cap to 120, or wherever you want them, if that is what you want to do. Increase your Hit Points and the rest in Strength. Use Power Scrolls to allow your skills to increase.

The Forth level of training will be focusing on maxing out your skills up to 120. Once the skills are where you want them to be. You then use your last 1500 points to Max out your Base Damage Per Second and then the abilities you want. In my case I want AI and Rune Corruption. Whatever is left is to be used to max the pets Strength and the rest is to go into increasing Hit Points.

At this point your pet should be fully completed. If not, dont hit the red button that says to stop training. If you do then you wont be able to finish maximizing the pets skills (Is this correct? I did this).

Needless to say, I think I ruined my first pet Beetle. The main question in all this is when do you maximize the pet's skills in the process of training it. What I wrote is what I was just told or at least what I think I was told. Can you Tamer Gods out there shed at little light on this? Thank you for your time.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To raise wrestling/tactics skills (not caps) you need to fight mobs with those skills within 25 points of your pets skill. If your pet is at 55 skill you need to fight something with less than 80 wrestling/tactics in order for the skills to raise.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Those gain messages are for Training gains not skill. Find a Shadow ele with 60/60 tactics and wrestling and let the pet fight it a while. Kill them till you get a 60/60 one.

Melee skills have no relationship to training.

Jazzer

Adventurer
Those gain messages are for Training gains not skill. Find a Shadow ele with 60/60 tactics and wrestling and let the pet fight it a while. Kill them till you get a 60/60 one.

Melee skills have no relationship to training.
Thanks for your response and help Pawain, I have read some of your posts on pets. In particular, the one dated 1/5/2019, "Giant and Fire Beetle point allocation from start to end". Toward the end, step #6 says "Add the scrolls you want. Put at least 105s on it. May have to get Wrestling to 100 before Parry is a choice". I am interpreting this to mean that I need to have my skill caps increased before I finish my training and using my final 1500 skill points. Is this correct?

I think I am getting training skills mixed up regarding the process and when you spend training points to max out the skill caps. Should you have the pets skills maxed out when the pet reaches level 5? Or can you continue to grow your pets skills after you use up your training points?

The problem I had was I was having the beetle attacking and killing Mud Elementals, which have 120 in Wrestling, and I wasn't getting any gains. Actually, I take that back, it got .1 after like 20 of them. I understand that it is a process but not that great of one. It was easier with my own character's.

When do you have all of your "skill" points maxed out in the process of training your pet?

Jazzer

Adventurer
To raise wrestling/tactics skills (not caps) you need to fight mobs with those skills within 25 points of your pets skill. If your pet is at 55 skill you need to fight something with less than 80 wrestling/tactics in order for the skills to raise.
Thanks Merus for responding. That is what is currently blowing my mind. I trained this beetle from level 1 through level 5 on the Crazed Mage in Shame, it took two days off and on. The Beetle's Wresting started with 56.5 and it's Tactics was 52.9. During the entire process the Wrestling and Tactics did not increase once but Anatomy(~93.2), Meditation(~95.0) and Focus(~100.0) did. Is that normal? Now, after I have trained the beetle up to level 5 and have no more training points I have a beetle with the above skill points and I'm having a heck of a time getting those two skill to increase fighting against Mud Elementals on level 2 of shame which has 120 in Wrestling. I just would like to understand what I am doing wrong so I don't make the mistake again on the next beetle. I am seeing other characters in game and reading posts about maxing pets in a few days and I am just getting discouraged. Maybe the training process has changed a lot since these posts were written I don't understand that it actually takes a lot longer now to train a pet to 120 skills. I am just looking for some insight so I don't feel so crazy. Thanks again for responding.

Deschet

Journeyman
You quoted the insight... and Pawain said something similar... your bettle needs to be fighting things with similar skill levels to raise wrestling and tactics.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks Merus for responding. That is what is currently blowing my mind. I trained this beetle from level 1 through level 5 on the Crazed Mage in Shame, it took two days off and on. The Beetle's Wresting started with 56.5 and it's Tactics was 52.9. During the entire process the Wrestling and Tactics did not increase once but Anatomy(~93.2), Meditation(~95.0) and Focus(~100.0) did. Is that normal? Now, after I have trained the beetle up to level 5 and have no more training points I have a beetle with the above skill points and I'm having a heck of a time getting those two skill to increase fighting against Mud Elementals on level 2 of shame which has 120 in Wrestling. I just would like to understand what I am doing wrong so I don't make the mistake again on the next beetle. I am seeing other characters in game and reading posts about maxing pets in a few days and I am just getting discouraged. Maybe the training process has changed a lot since these posts were written I don't understand that it actually takes a lot longer now to train a pet to 120 skills. I am just looking for some insight so I don't feel so crazy. Thanks again for responding.
Answer is pretty obvious… clearly the Crazed Mage has more than 80 wrestling. You could fight it (or any other mob with 120 wrestling) forever and not get gains for wrestling and tactics. Anatomy, med, focus, etc are not bound to this restriction.

Wren

Visitor
UNLEASHED
I’m going to start by clarifying how I’m using terms, just to be sure we’re talking about same things.
Training = process of getting to 100% training progress, applying points, and increasing control slot levels.
Skilling/skill gains = process of raising pets skills by fighting things, the same way you raise skills as a player.

You can raise skills independently of the training process, but to increase skill caps past 100 you must apply power scrolls, which takes training points. It’s important to remember that you want to be at 100 wrestling before you put on power scrolls, because the parrying skill won’t show up until the pet has GM wrestling. (I usually skill pets up to 100 in all skills before I ever hit the blue button to start training process.)

For skilling, you want to use shadow elementals or gregorio the brigand, because the pet can’t damage them. But whatever you use must be within 25 skill points of your pet.
Example: if your beetle is at 50 wrestling and the shadow elemental has 85 wrestling, you will not gain. You will need to find something weaker to fight. When shadow ele and gregorio are too high for me to raise skills, I go to the lizardmen at the sleeping dragon spawn.

(One more note- I don’t know if you have gotten any animal taming mastery primers yet, but the Whispering ability makes skilling go much faster.)

Jazzer

Adventurer
Answer is pretty obvious… clearly the Crazed Mage has more than 80 wrestling. You could fight it (or any other mob with 120 wrestling) forever and not get gains for wrestling and tactics. Anatomy, med, focus, etc are not bound to this restriction.
Thanks Merus. For some reason I got in my head that the higher the monsters skill compared to my pet the better. I understand I a wrong in thinking that. Like Wren said, I need to be within 25 of where my pet is. This goes for both Wrestling and Tactics. Thanks again.

Jazzer

Adventurer
I’m going to start by clarifying how I’m using terms, just to be sure we’re talking about same things.
Training = process of getting to 100% training progress, applying points, and increasing control slot levels.
Skilling/skill gains = process of raising pets skills by fighting things, the same way you raise skills as a player.

You can raise skills independently of the training process, but to increase skill caps past 100 you must apply power scrolls, which takes training points. It’s important to remember that you want to be at 100 wrestling before you put on power scrolls, because the parrying skill won’t show up until the pet has GM wrestling. (I usually skill pets up to 100 in all skills before I ever hit the blue button to start training process.)

For skilling, you want to use shadow elementals or gregorio the brigand, because the pet can’t damage them. But whatever you use must be within 25 skill points of your pet.
Example: if your beetle is at 50 wrestling and the shadow elemental has 85 wrestling, you will not gain. You will need to find something weaker to fight. When shadow ele and gregorio are too high for me to raise skills, I go to the lizardmen at the sleeping dragon spawn.

(One more note- I don’t know if you have gotten any animal taming mastery primers yet, but the Whispering ability makes skilling go much faster.)
Wren, thanks for the clarification. This helps me understand more about the power scrolls too. At first I thought I had to buy the same type of power scrolls I used to allow me to increase my characters skills higher than 100. More important to get my skills up to 100 before I use those points to increase the pets skill points. Thanks for the other suggestion of places to train. I feel better about the process.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Most of my pets are at 5 slot before wrestling and tactics change much.

The only things you want at a certain point before increasing their values are dexterity and stamina. You can get those to increase to 125 for free.

Ask any questions in this forum.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is no difference in applying power scrolls to skills at 100 or before 100. If you apply a power scroll the cap will increase regardless of current skill level. This is true for parry even though it doesn't show up till wrestling is 100.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Since all Beatles are available in game , I recommend you not to waste 120 scrolls on them. 100-110 will be enough for you to learn all this and fight any mob in a group, since you are on ATL.
Tame more , bond them and train /skill.
You can take 5*level 1 bugs to crazed mage if there is a party there already, and train them all at once.
Try lesser Hiryu too , since it can be up to 108 wrestling saving you some gold on power scrolls .
If you feel like you screwed one not scrolled pet , just release it and take new one .

Jazzer

Adventurer
Most of my pets are at 5 slot before wrestling and tactics change much.

The only things you want at a certain point before increasing their values are dexterity and stamina. You can get those to increase to 125 for free.

Ask any questions in this forum.
Yeah Pawin, that is what I have done. I now have a 5 Level Beetle with 56 Wrestling and 53 Tactics. Can I still have the pet fight monsters that are within 25 skills points of those and continue to gain even if I already hit that red button at the end of the training which says, "Do you want to stop training and loose any remaining training points"? And, if I used all my training points, can I buy power scrolls (the white ones) and use them on my pet to increase its skills past 100? Or, am I screwed with this beetle to advance past 100? Thanks!

mihali

Sage
One thing also is : "You never - ever hit the button to STOP training" since there is always somewhere you can put the remaining points, even after you finished with the pet, for instance mana points if you cannot add them anywhere else.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Many of my pets have saved points for future scrolls. you do not have to finish training for any reason.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One thing also is : "You never - ever hit the button to STOP training" since there is always somewhere you can put the remaining points, even after you finished with the pet, for instance mana points if you cannot add them anywhere else.
Technically not true, there are some pets which, when trained certain ways, can run out of places to put points. That’s why the option was added.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't think you can use all the points on a Tiger unless you just keep changing the magic.