• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tailoring] Raising Tailoring from 100 to 120 Need Advice Basara!

F

Faux Pas

After great success using Basara's idea of making circlets with the aid of salvage bag to raise blacksmith to 120 (thanks again Basara), I am trying to raise my tailor from 90 to 120 using salvage bag. I'm making tribal masks since I have the lowest percentage of success with them, but I'm wondering is there a better choice? Also not getting any cloth back from salvage bag after slavage option is chosen. Any ideas? Please chime in Basara!! :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There's been a few changes I've not gotten around to noting.

a. The ability to make masks has potentially altered the table, BUT....

You can't get cloth back from recycling hats. Whether this is intentional, or a decade-long oversight, I don't know.

b. Gargoyle cloth is an option if you want to avoid leather completely, but note that the garg stuff takes a lot of cloth, and uses the SMITH, not Tailor, skill progression.

In other words, while most Tailor items start out
  • 50% to make when you first gain the ability to craft
  • advances 0.2% per 0.1 skill gained
  • Gains continue until your chance to make (before rounding down to 100% displayed) is equal to your scrolled skil cap as a percentage (105% for a 105 scroll, 120% for a 120 scroll, etc.), meaning that gains are possible from 25.0 (no scroll) to 35.0 (if 120 scrolled) points above the minimum to make.
Gargoyle cloth items (can't remember if leather is this way too - it IS 6:30 AM and I've not gone to bed yet) and Elven quivers start out like smith items as follows:
  • ZERO chance to make at the listed chance to make.
  • advances 0.2% per 0.1 skill gained.
  • Gains continue until your chance to make is yor scrolled skill cap as a percentage, as above...
  • BUT, since you're starting out at zero instead of 50, the full scope of the skill range is open (50 points without scroll, 60 points if scrolled to 120 Tailor)
  • While this means that you can gain to 120 on cloth, using gargoyle items, it also means you are going to fail a LOT more on attempts, compared to leather.
  • Make sure you have a lot more sewing kits on hand, and the numbers of failures will probably offset the time gained vs. leather, so it comes down to cost comparisons.
  • IF you run cloth BODs (and BUY, not craft, the stuff to fill them when possible) to get new BODs, while training, you'll be pretty much paying for your own training that way, if you use all the reward cloth you get (all dyed one color) as part of your training regimen.
So, the end result is:
1. If the account has SA, use gargoyle cloth, as well as filling junk leather (any color) BODs for items that you have possible gains from, as needed (even if turned in as smalls, you'll get more cloth from them to use making the gargoyle stuff). Multitasking is very useful in this regard.
2. If the account hasn't been upgraded, use the leather stuff, unless you have 100k of reward cloth to waste (in which case you probably can make the masks)

N

Ncdiablo

One other method.

Get your crafter into the Twisted Weald. The quest is very simple and only things involved killing are wolves which aren't difficult.

Bring a packie into the twisted weald.
Bring an invis potion or two or three.
Find a satyr and aggro him until he discords you. It is best to aggro him when he isn't close to any other mobs. The moment he discords you then pop the invis and then quickly move to break invis. Stay close to the satyr as he moves around and he will keep you discorded. Make oil cloths and simply cut the oilcloths into bandages. Keep your packie on follow to store the bandages and the cloth.

It can take you to 120 or darn near close to it.

Just another option.

N

Ncdiablo

My bad to get to twisted weald is very simple. I was confusing the quest to turn from human to elf as I did that so my tamer could go tame cu sidhe's in twisted weald.

Using a satyr to discord you works very well for training up.

You can make oil cloths for gains or use cloth ninja helms for gains to 120.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
does oilcloths craft in a salvage bag? seem to remember there was a bug with this.

in any case if you use a salvage bag for training, remove unused cloth from bag before you salvage or they become bandages :) <- learned this the hard way

N

Ncdiablo

I will test the bag tonight with oilcloths to let you know.

Another method that has worked well is to do

Gargoyle Kilts from 105 to 114
Gargoyle arms from 114 to 118
Gargoyle legs from 118 to 120

I would say this process using your recycling bag will use slightly less than 20k cloth which you can gather up for free off sheep and cotton in less than an hour of farming it and then an hour or so making it into cloth.

E

Exeter

does oilcloths craft in a salvage bag? seem to remember there was a bug with this.

in any case if you use a salvage bag for training, remove unused cloth from bag before you salvage or they become bandages :) <- learned this the hard way
Oilcloths do work in salvage bags. I just recently went from 75-100 Tailoring making oilcloths. Saved a lot of space and time, and created a LOT of bandages.

And yes, I too learned the hard way and ended up with 1500 more bandages then desired from my cloth. :(