• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

RAA shop : end of a nice and long story

Lien Ragus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To all Europa inhabitants,

It's not without a real emotion than i am announcing the next closing of the Royal Arms & Armors shop. Current vendors will continue the business until end of June.

Created by Lord Ulysses in March 2001 (yes ! it s slightly more than 10 years) the first shop was located north of Britain cemetary. Running business and contacts with the communauty from the forge was convenient and led Lord Ulysses to offer a large range of basic crafted products in that shop.

The shop moved about 6 years ago for its actual location. Molly Foxglove has led the shop matters since.

Unfortunately, we are facing 2 main problems to continue to run such shop :

1) We dont have enough dedicated ppl anymore to run the vendors with the state of excellency we are asking for,

2) The activity of resellers reached a peak that put more pressure on the goodwill vendor runners.

These 2 points led some of us to run too many vendors at once to fill gaps and transforming a fun activity into a full time "job".

I'd like to thank all the guildmembers who participated actively in that wonderful adventure. I cant give all the names because they have been in number over time but i'd like to give a special thank to Molly Foxglove who did a superb job. Taking care of the excellency of shop offer, decoing the shop depending the seasons, helping new and returning ppl and searching for new talents...

I'd also wish to thank all the customers who appreciated our involvment in making that shop their home base for items shopping.

I have no crystal ball to foresee what our future will be. RAA guild is still alive though and we maybe hope to do something again in soon ?

Thanks again to all who have made our story a big success.
Hope to see you again soon.

Lien Ragus,
RAA guild leader

Europa Trader

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Thats sad, one of the best shops on Europa shutting down.
I really hope that the vendor owners will consider moving to other places to be able to supply the RP'ers and new players.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A terrible shame; I used to buy kegs for my plants from you, and although I visit now largely only to use the rune library upstairs, it was always reassuring to see the vendors downstairs. But your own mental health must always come first, and if it has become tiring to continue, take a break you must.

And I'm afraid I do have to agree with you about the resellers; thanks to the sites that shall not be mentioned, it's just too easy to shop in the locations that they track goods. I was hoping that the auction system we read so much about in the CLILOC files would be global, and allow people to vend from anywhere again... but so far we remain in the dark about that. And I've a horrible suspicion they'll charge us real cash for it like the pet vendors too, even if it's actually designed to encourage the honest trader.

Still, I shall always be appreciative of what you've done for the community, the cheap kegs (which I returned the empties for!) and the continuing sense of gratefulness for what you've given over the years!

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its always sad to see an institution go down and this is no exception.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you all for your kind words about the shop I loved, and about me.
Im here to say thank you to all our customers and staff throughout the years!

A special thanks to Lord Ulysses who owns the shop and ran many of the vendors until lately, and ofcourse to Lord Lien Ragus, my never failing support during the years.

That search site is nothing we used ..customers have to find our wares on their own, yet the prob was never that we sold too little..rather found it hard to restock good enough when the number of vendors we took on became more and more. I had 19 a week ago.

The library, made by me and Ulysses and his crystal portals will end up at my house first one south of Trinsic moongate, I just need to redesign it and rearrange my stuff so it might take some time. Everyone is welcome to use it!

Minerva Foxglove was the last remaining active member of HLP. She had to give up the work due to running too many vendors and being solo at HLP.
We will see what the devs come up with to support new players , but if nothing big happens , its very possible she makes the Trinsic gate house to a place for supporting new players and returning ..and shard jumpers, just like HLP . Then there will be : the library and portals. Books with instructions about the basic things, and links to stratics. Possibly some vendors to sell bandages and repair deeds , spare armour parts cheap etc. Free deacent armour sets and spellbooks for everyone wo need (and catch me.)
I have acess to Paidrics young keep and there are still donated pieces I use for youngs , nothing is wasted , just used a bit slower right now.

But first ill have a lazy time this summer ..enjoying RL not thinking I should mark runebooks instead. And make plans for the transformation of my Trinsic home while I try to restore my garden that looks more like a jungle right now.

..And who knows..when winter comes..I might feel the urge to run some vendors again:D

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very sad indeed...alas it really is soooo time consuming running a shop like this great one, leaves little time for much else. Sad news for europa this day.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's a real bummer.

RAA Shop is where I always mark runes for new players should they need something. Cat's Lair as well.

I'd sure like to know where that rune Library ends up.

It's a real shame to see shops shutdown. Umbra trading post was another one. Some of the best player vendor shops I've come across have been on Europa.

I think these vendor fees need to go. Should be a flat fee. You hire an NPC to work...to sell your wares and you pay for the space. End of story. I think it's ridiculous that you should have to pay any fees at all.

Now where do I send new players who need basic equipment to get started?

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What a shame. :( Been an icon and a very big influence in the years when I ran a shop. Thank you all from RAA for all the hard work and I hope you find some fun in something else.

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its a really sad new, and make me nolstagic remembering when i went being a noob to buy there my armor and weapons T_T

Im on some uo holidays for now , but this new make me really really sad and hope the vendor owners can make a new place for their stuff so can still helping all europa people that go there as a reference ^^ ( but it would be better if it doesnt close :blushing: )

Saunders

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh goodness...
Thank you so much to the vendors who have made the RAA shop one of the best things on Europa for many years.
I hope you can do something enjoyable with the Trinsic gatehouse!

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Waves* HI how are you Miss Foxglove, sorry to see the shop closing its been an institution for so long. But after all this is a game and when it becomes to much like real life work it's time to take a long break from the vendor situation.

I ran some vendors for a while, but I also came to the conclusion that this aspect was alot of fun for a stretch of time (maybe a year). But then realised
that thier was to many other things to do in the game with the very limited time I had available to play it.

Hopefully with a break from the vendor situation, you'll have some more free time to play the game for fun, or have some more time for the real life world.
Then if you have an urge for the vendor aspect again, you will have alot more support from your guild.

I very rarely post on these threads any more unless its about something
i feel a connection like you have been since our fist meeting in the game!

Rip

Lien Ragus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for all the marks of sympathy you have showed us...

I m working atm on a solution to make another house the new home for RAA shop... but must find a solution to store my stuff in only 1 house prior to any creation of a new shop.

I m kinda doing a real spring cleaning to get number of items in line with my storage capacity...

I ll keep you posted...

thanks again,

Lien Ragus

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello Saunders! Yes ill do something useful with the Trinsic gatehouse. It will take some time, I need to sort out my oh so neglected houses , cant wait for spring cleaning! And rebuild the house to get the right space for the library etc. Cailleach just contacted me with some interesting suggestions..

It was a tough desision to give up the shop for sure. But for some time I felt grumphy and isolated just working all the time. My own fault I know , but I wanted it to look as good as possible and hated gaps in the vendor rows .

Sounds funny but im already in a very good mood , full of plans , much more social ..feels like im on helium or something:D.. This was unexpected, rather thought I would lose the little spirit left!

And Riply! So good to see you. I remember the first time we met for sure! You were the first person I met outside the town guards that didnt kill me. Instead you gave my miner a showel, I crashed when it came up in the trade window and could not get in until next day, I felt so ungrateful. That was the beginning of a friendship I value very much!

It must be heium .. me chattering like this . Stop me!:blushing:

Rimeny

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for all the good times, RAA Shop was a favourite shopping ground for many years on Europa, I would always mark a rune there for youngs.

Having been a shop owner before I apreciate all the hard work that is involved and the reasons why you would like to retire.

Good luck in your new ventures RAA!

Arradin

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't really know what to say.

I met Ulysses on my very first day ingame, at the forge in Britain, and since then i was always amazed at the fact that the vendors almost always was stocked etc..

It always remained that way, and RAA was my #1 place to check for the goods i needed, from day 1 to the day i quit UO.

Fantastic work to all the people who have worked with RAA and it's vendors over the years, You are one of a kind.

AyaraBlue

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh, I must´ve missed this when it was first posted...

I´ve always been impressed by how well the RAA shop was stocked and have often used the rune library upstairs. It´s sad to see it go, but I fully understand that it´s too time consuming to keep running it. UO is supposed to be fun - not a duty.

Anyways, thanks for running the shop so long and see you guys soon (most likely at the WBB circle ;) ). :grouphug:

Claninwat

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh, i remember this shop from the very first weeks that i started playing UO (back in late 2002 iirc).

I don't play anymore but i occasionally still read the forums so i just thought i'd log in to post good luck and thanks for the memories and services (only place i used to buy my repair deeds from!)!

I

Irvyn

This is sad news, whatever I wanted the RAA shop has been my first place to look for many years and I've always recommended it :( But I do understand the pressures, and you do need to pay attention to RL occasionally ;) Thank you very much for keeping it going for so long :)

Kas Valentine

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd completely forgotten the days RAA was a little small tower north of Britain graveyard, wowsers, could actually see old topknot there most of the time too !

S'sad to see you're closing up the big marble place but it is understandable given the time and dedication required to run such an establishment. S'always been a fabulous place to shop and RAA could always be relied upon to have warm and approachable members.

May you prosper in all your future ventures !

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very sad day indeed for Europa.

Royal Arms and Armour was an Icon of shopping on Europa, it was my favourite shop for all the time i played UO. I used it so much for so many reasons, was a great shop for roleplayers too. I remember it being that little small tower by brit graveyard, and getting my equipment repaired at the forge where you all stood. Those were the good old days, makes me nostalgic.

Was truly the best and probably even the oldest shop on Europa. RAA has a truly legendary status. Well at least i guess your not all leaving or disbanding the guild :)

But thanks for all those years of keeping the shop going and offering your services! You've all been around for so long :D

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remeber Lord Ulysses, His iron melted gods such as swords roamed the shard for years. At one point everyone had a sword from either Lord Ulysses or Ore manger. Considering the big playerbase at that time it was quite an achievement!

RAA shop never dies, it just sleeps.... (For those with imagination, imagine a bear going into hibernation) Im sure RAA shop will live again!

Quzar

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What a pity!
Since Ive returned to UO, with not much cash to go about RAA was a reliable shop for good bargains...
Thanks for the help!

Flame (DrR)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RAA hold alot of good memories from when Mord and I started playing UO. We only had 1 account back then and we used to shift mine with Lord Ully always a ready buyer, later we sold to the guild and Lord Ully helped Mord train his blacksmith at Brit forge. I can remember how you would have several blacksmiths ready to make items or repair at brit forge but if you have a valuable piece of kit (silver katana) you always looked for someone from RAA to repair them for you. Thankyou all for such memories.