• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Questions for UO players

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When you meet someone on the game ......

Do you friend or give them access to your house right away or do you have to get to know them first? (not counting guild houses)

Do you let players have access to every floor in your house?

Do you let players store items in your house?

If you do let people store items in your house.....

Do you let them store it anywhere or do you only give them access to 1 or 2 boxes?

Do you keep track of what is being stored in your house by other players?

Do you check every box to make sure something is not being hidden by another player that is friended or co owned to your house?

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Do you friend or give them access to your house right away or do you have to get to know them first? (not counting guild houses)

I only give access beyond my patio which is public to a small group of people that I have "known" ingame for a long time (guildmates)

No.

I have temporarily, but not as a general rule, and when it is done, it is in a separate container that isn't touched until they reclaim it.

I've played since 1998 starting during the days when the ONLY security and ownership you had with a house was control of the house key. Lose that and you lost the house and EVERYTHING inside it. This was BEFORE there were such things as lockdowns or secures. (Mind you this security was barring being the victim to house breakin exploits)

"Growing up" (in a UO Sense) during that time has made me inherently paranoid to a degree and thus I have always considered a portion of the houses I have owned "mine" and thus no access to anyone else.

L

Lolindir

I may give them access to the house, but I never give them access to any of the containers.

That depends on the house, but I usualy close of a part of the building for storeing items of financial- or sentimental value.

Rarely. I play along with some RL friends, and they have access to some of the containers.

Do you let them store it anywhere or do you only give them access to 1 or 2 boxes?
A small number of containers yes.

Yes. We all have our own houses, so they have very few items stored in my own house.

Do you check every box to make sure something is not being hidden by another player that is friended or co owned to your house?
No. I trust my RL mates.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never friended anyone to one of my houses (other than other characters of my own).

I generally assume that if someone has access to any part of my house, they have access to every part of my house if they're determined enough to find a way.

I used to toy with the idea of an open "blue box" on my steps that people could dump stuff in for me to recycle, but I've decided that it's just asking for trouble next time there is a dupe.

I don't even accurately keep track of what _I_ have in my own houses (spring cleaning was a bit of an eye-opener). I run a "solo guild" as a more efficient way than friending to allow my accounts to share resources and basic equipment amongst themselves as if it was all one big account.

I don't often check the security of my house - I sometimes wish there was a way to scan quickly to check if I've accidentally left anything open to the public. I tend to live in fear that some publish will tweak the way lockdowns/security and I won't notice the change (or misunderstand the change). Back when I first started with my first house, I found it very nervewracking to move anything around because I wasn't certain of the difference between "locked down" and "secure".

R

RoycroftLS

My house is public (in Tram), but all of the doors and teleporters inside are set to friends only. All containers inside are set to owner only with the exception of one that allows friends to pick up and drop off things. I check that container every time I hop online, not because I am untrusting, but rather to see if I have any new presents.

I only friend people I have known for a while. With housing as readily available as it is nowadays, it's almost as easy to help a friend find a decent sized plot for themselves as it is to fiddle around getting a separate container for them at my house. Solves the problem of worrying what they might be storing at my house too.

Sakkarah_

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Before becoming a Dev...

No, there were only a select few people I've ever friended to my houses since having multiple accounts, all my containers are secured for friends so all my characters can access them. So I would only friend people I fully trusted.

Yes. While having restricted areas would be a good way to prevent "friends" from accessing my private stuff, it's not for me. I either trust you or I don't. And in Trammel, my houses are always public. I was heavily into house deco and I always hated when I would see a beautiful house and be unable to visit it.

In my private houses, if one of my couple trusted friends needed to, yes. It usually was guildmembers who needed temporary storage and I would give them a box in one of the guildhouses, so that doesn't apply. But truth is, I mostly had friends store stuff for me cuz I was such a packrat :blushing:

Give them specific boxes for their personal storage.

No. If I trusted them enough to give them access to all of my stuff, then I trusted them not to do abuse that trust and store inappropriate items there. If I had happened to be proven wrong, I would have accepted the consequences of my choices however painful that would have been. Thankfully, the couple people who were ever friended to some of my houses never made me sorry I did :D

No, same reason as before and I wouldn't feel right prying into other people's stuff. (yes, I'm a goody two shoes!)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope, but I have guild storage and a public house. Other people don't need access.

No, it was an early lesson when I restarted a year ago that I NEED space that's just mine. So I have a tower in my house where everything is just mine, and the access to the tower is set to owner only.

Yes, guild storage.

Official guild storage is 7 crates. Also, the only thing that can be stored in the crates is resources and for crafting.

Yes, religiously.

Only guild storage. I trust the friends to my house with my account.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

First off I have multiple accounts so most of my homes I only friend myself to. The few house's that I do actually friend folk to have other access restrictions on what I do and do not want folk to have access to... Such as my Inn.... my "friends" have access to the stores of food and drink while my junk that is stored elsewhere is Owner only. I don't worry about folk stealing all my food. And Yes I know them quite well ..... Or I think I do.... they are generally guildmates, or in my alliance.

ALL of my homes are open to the public... the only time I EVER restrict access to any of them is when I am designing something or when I am very angry. I see no reason in trammel to restrict access..... nothing sits on my floors that isn't locked down or secured. If I was concerned I'd privitize my house before unlocking or moving an object.

I let guildmates store stuff in my house...... I have several so that's no problem.

I restrict access to what I want used..... thereby limiting the amount of space anyone can use up.

I don't much sift though other peoples things.... However .... If I thought they were doing somthing that was against the ToS... Yes I would check.

Hidden?? I trust the folk I play with not to do things that would jeapordize someone else....

As for checking my own stuff I'm a perpetual organizer so you can bet I keep my homes VERY well organized... once a week I try to take things out of my "drop off" boxes and sort them to where they need to go.

D

Dor of Sonoma

Do you friend or give them access to your house right away or do you have to get to know them first? (not counting guild houses) My houses tend to have lengthy Friends lists...but all are folks whom I've gotten to know. I am in the community-building business, after all. :)

Do you let players have access to every floor in your house? My houses are all Public, and have been so since before we even had the Private option. Oh, and they're also all in Felucca :p

Do you let players store items in your house? Yes, always. My places are generally havens for newbies or visiting characters from other shards.

Do you let them store it anywhere or do you only give them access to 1 or 2 boxes? One or two containers for storage...although they are given access to most of the storage chests, so that they may use any resources or materials therein.

Do you keep track of what is being stored in your house by other players? Nope.

Do you check every box to make sure something is not being hidden by another player that is friended or co owned to your house? Never. Back in the Old Days, I was friended to about 20 other players' places (which I would refresh thrice-weekly, on my Refresh Route). In all of that time, I never opened or looked in a single chest or box. It just ain't in me...it's like going through someone's underwear drawer or medicine cabinet - none of my business. :)

U

UOKaiser

Get to know them but make sure my access to the more importing things is set to co owner-owner

Leave one floor maybe or section for myself

Friends yes not just any player

I give them 1 or 2 boxes and set it up for them

No really as if there friended to my house and Ive gave them a box already I should already trust them in holding a house for me.

No as my trust level whith that person by then should be pretty high

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Now I will answer my own questions

Do you friend or give them access to your house right away or do you have to get to know them first? (not counting guild houses) My trammel castle my uo hubby only cuz that is a shared account with my nephews and they said him only.
my fel houses i only have my uo hubby, my GM and her family are either friended or access to the houses

yes

IF they need to

Do you let them store it anywhere or do you only give them access to 1 or 2 boxes? I set up boxes for them so nothing gets mixed in with my stuff in case they need to store some stuff

no because I trust them

If someone needs to hide something in my houses and I find it. It becomes mine finders keepers losers weepers. but If I ever found something illegal hidden in my house it will be meeting the trash barrel, but I trust the people I know so no worries here
Everything that I want to keep is locked down on the floors and then I have engraved on my characters box I have characters goodies touch and you die a 1000 deaths LOL other than that the other stuff is all junk and if someone needs something I dont care if they take it.
Edit: I keep or try to keep things organized so I have a bad habit of organizing other people stuff in there chests if im friended to their houses LOL but I never take anything that is not mine

S

Sarphus

I let people I don't know into my house. I don't let anyone into my stuff, though.

All my stuff is secured so only I have access to it. If there's one thing I've learned about mmo players (not just UO). If you trust people, sooner or later you lose everything. If you trust no one, you don't lose stuff unless you cheat :)