• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Questions, and training spot suggestions besides Crazy Mage / Roof?

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi everyone,

I recently returned after 6 years away, and when it comes to pet training I have a lot of catching up to do, so I see.

When I used to train my pets around 2011 I took them to a rotting corpse spawn with 3 locked chests in Covetous. The chests being a nice side bonus during the training time, as I am an avid t-hunter with my tamer. However when I recalled in there with my old luck suit I was insta killed by a Daemon Mongbat with mad resists, I noticed that the rotting corpse spawn was gone, and my unbonded freshly tamed cu bit the dust rather quick.

My account isn't eligable for the latest expansion, and I was wondering where would be a decent spot to train up pets nowadays in both slot training and skill training besides the Crazy Mage in Shame (I think?), or something called "The Roof" (no idea where that is).

I've tried taking my cu to some of the rotting corpse spawns in Ilshenar, but besides the (very occassional) spawn of a paragon rotting corpse, gains in both training and skill seems to be rather slow. On paragon rotting corpses the gains seem decent, but they don't spawn very often, or in hard to reach places.

Are there other decent spots or mobs to train my cu's on?

Also, I've been reading about people whispering their pets for incread skillgains. How can I whisper my pets?

And what are these Taming Primers I've been hearing about exactly. Do I need them? And if I do, where do I obtain them?

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For rotting corpses I use Doom, the area far west from the guardian room, also the spawn point for the new stealable 'incense burner' - number 23 on this map https://uo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/doommap-1.gif. Two rotting corpse and two mummies - I have a rune I can copy for you if you'd like it - I can drop it in your mailbox if you've got one (if you haven't they can be gotten for clean up points :D).
For your curiosity:
Covetous revamp Covetous – Ultima Online
The 'roof' Shadowguard – Ultima Online
Mailbox Mailbox – Ultima Online

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Petra :)

You say that room in Doom is close to the Guardians, right? I have a rune for the Guardians, I sometimes go there to pick up some t-maps for fun, so it should be a short run.

I'll go read some of your links ;)

Finegold

Journeyman
No expansion needed for Crazy Mage. I find he really is the best. And when his gains dry up... hit the Energy vortex's near there (one at a time). Crazy mage is easy to find. [Shame lowest level (after you come out of the gate from the gazer room turn west.... hes along the north wall). Just before you get to the old blood ele area]. This is of course for the new leveling up thing going from slot 3 to 4 to 5.

For regular wrestle, parry, tactics gains... hit Shadow eles in Yomotsu Mines!

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No expansion needed for Crazy Mage. I find he really is the best. And when his gains dry up... hit the Energy vortex's near there (one at a time). Crazy mage is easy to find. [Shame lowest level (after you come out of the gate from the gazer room turn west.... hes along the north wall). Just before you get to the old blood ele area]. This is of course for the new leveling up thing going from slot 3 to 4 to 5.

For regular wrestle, parry, tactics gains... hit Shadow eles in Yomotsu Mines!
Ok, I will try and find that Crazy Mage, good to know I don't need an expansion for that ;)

Still wondering about how I whisper my pets, and how to obtain taming primers, and what they are exactly...

Thanks in advance :)

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Still wondering about how I whisper my pets, and how to obtain taming primers, and what they are exactly...
you need the time of legends (ToL) expansion to use skill masteries (other than the bard ones), whispering (a taming mastery spell) and to obtain and use mastery primers

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There's a quest for the mastery book in Eodon (requires killing a champ or peerless boss chosen randomly each hour, depending on when you get the quest), or doing the Bard mastery quests will get you the same books. Champ bosses drop the primers themselves.

You have to be 90 real skill to use a primer's masteries for that skill (you eat the primer like a PS), and the masteries improve with the level of the primer and your real skill level.

You don't have to use the primers 1/2/3 - if you get a 3 first, use it and you won't need the others.

As long as you get one of them where the other won't jump in, the Eternal Gazers are really good for training as well. For a slower pace (but a lot more healing) than the crazed mages, you can do Swoop in the Twisted Weald where things are less dangerous (unless you're neg karma). I took 2 lions to Crazed mages the last couple days, and got them up to about 90% before an unbound EV crashed the party, then took them to the weald to finish up on Swoop. If you have friends that can help, or are training a really tough 3-4 slot pet, peerless (any named creatures, but especially bosses) are good for gains (I took my cu from 4 to 5, doing Navrey)

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Slugs. They take your Wrestling, Anatomy and parry to 120. Sometimes tactics lags behind.

Skill before you put Goo on or others will call you an Asshat.

After that, Do the pit for one of the Eodon quests. That a good way to skill up your pet and get ready for the Zippy quest.

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Slugs. They take your Wrestling, Anatomy and parry to 120. Sometimes tactics lags behind.

Skill before you put Goo on or others will call you an Asshat.

After that, Do the pit for one of the Eodon quests. That a good way to skill up your pet and get ready for the Zippy quest.
I don't have Legends, so I can't do Eodon stuff. Do Slugs spawn somewhere in the older worlds?

"Skill before you put Goo on" means GM the Cu's skills, I assume? :)

Anyway, goodmorning everyone!...

I took my Cu to the Crazy Mage and managed to get it to 100% training on the mage and assorted mobs near it. That went better than expected, and also a LOT faster than the meager gains I've received on t-hunts and whatever else I've been fighting these last two weeks!

I'm thinking about making it a chiv/AI Cu, but I had to release and retame this Cu, so all skills have dropped to 70.0 and have just reached early 90's, do I have to scroll and train those skills first before training? Can I pick chiv/AI now, or should I do that in round 2 when I take it from 4 to 5 slots?

I don't have lots of cash and lost contact with practically everyone I used to play with, so I'll most likely try and buy 110 scrolls.

I'm a little bit scared to customize it because I keep reading all these things about messing things up if I pick the wrong stuff, or train in the wrong order. I've have been messing around a bit on TC1 yesterday, but I'm still not sure what to pick for the first 3->4 slots 100% training part.

Can I reset my pet on Test somehow?

From what I've read I should atleast pick stamina/dex to 150, and from what I've seen I should bring up its physical/fire resists up.

Its natural resists are 65/45/82/42/81, but when I upped the first two to 80 on TC1, I could't push the poison up higher than 45. Is there a maximum ammount of resist which you have to spread out?

It has 583 HP, what would be a good average? It currently has 602 strength, should I up this to 700? And if I should, should I do that in this round?

Do I only up the ammount of mana, or do I have to increase intelligence aswell? I think it has 262 intelligence at the moment.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes there are various caps when training. Here's another link for you to peruse Animal Training – Ultima Online

What I did with my pup, I first scrolled and trained up healing - cos if you give it chiv first healing is even more of a pig to try to train, then I gave it AI and chiv, scrolling chiv to 110, I scrolled as many of the combat skills as I could, but only with scrolls I could get hold of, some are only 110. I gave it 790 mana - cos if you want it to cast chiv spells it needs mana to do that, 14MR and scrolled focus. Mana is not tied to int on pets once they hit 125 int. I probably didn't do it the way the more expert players have, but I'm happy with how it worked out.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I normally in the first round fix the resists the way I want.... generally try for 75/80/70/70/70 but on Cu's that can be difficult as they tend to have high Cold and Energy resist...

Then I normally bring MR to 30 (need it)... and try to balance out the big 4 Str/HP/Int/Mana... a bit and put my specials on whatever I'm going to do but as Petra said on a Cu gaining up your healing with Chivy can be a pain... however not impossible it is far slower... but I honestly haven't had much issue with it the Cu heals pretty well regardless.

The final round I try to remember to raise the Base Damage to max and finish leveling out the big 4 making sure (you should have trained your Cu up enough by now to max out it's Dex and Stamina... to 125 which will give you the opportunity then to max it up to 150 without costing too much...)... to final out Dex and Stamina to 150 as the more your pet hits stuff the better it will gain and use it's skills... Anyway that's me.

I don't much do anything on a Cu with HPR or SR as Stamina almost never goes down unless it's dead... and HPR seems moot on a pet that heals itself just fine. So I don't waste points on those.

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is my Cu.

What happens with leftover "Remaining Training Points" if I'd want these changes added?

Should I add more? To what? What about AI and Chivalry? I've noticed Chiv takes up 501 points. AI 100. Should I add AI now?

Wow, this is way more complicated, and more scary, than I imagined. And that's after reading through threads and stuff on the websites...

orthus.jpg

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whatever else you do, set the resists first thing. Having adequate resistances will make it easier to train subsequent rounds.
If the HP is less than 125, bring it up.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"Skill before you put Goo on" means GM the Cu's skills, I assume? :)
Slugs are in the entry to Ter Mur. Fire Island. The goo kills the slugs and pisses off the 2 other tamers that are trying to skill their pets. Also Goo kills spectral spellbinders. Get the magic resist to 100% before goo.

Also on your build. Set the phy fire and energy to 80!!!

There are very few tough things that do poison or cold damage. Poison resist only reduces actual poison damage not poisoning. They can cure!

If you want to fight something that does poison damage. Take a Naj!

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok...

So I have no idea if it was me that did anything wrong, or if this is a bug, but I executed everything in my training plan and put every single point of the 1501 I had into training Orthus, and now he jumped from a 3 slot pet to a 5 slot pet...

Does this have to do with it being an old Cu? When I came back it was 4 slots. I had read here somewhere that if you released and retamed an old Cu it would return to 3 slots so that you could train it up. So I did that, waited a week for it to rebond, and was happy I didn't have to give him up.

If this is true I'm devastated that it's apparently impossible to fulfill my old Cu's potential. Are there any other methods to continue training my old Cu? Is this something GMs might fix?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Release and retame again. It should drop to four. Show the stats if it doesn't.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Ok...

So I have no idea if it was me that did anything wrong, or if this is a bug, but I executed everything in my training plan and put every single point of the 1501 I had into training Orthus, and now he jumped from a 3 slot pet to a 5 slot pet...

Does this have to do with it being an old Cu? When I came back it was 4 slots. I had read here somewhere that if you released and retamed an old Cu it would return to 3 slots so that you could train it up. So I did that, waited a week for it to rebond, and was happy I didn't have to give him up.

If this is true I'm devastated that it's apparently impossible to fulfill my old Cu's potential. Are there any other methods to continue training my old Cu? Is this something GMs might fix?
Take it as is to TC1 : The pet is 5 slot now, but you finished one round of training for 1500 points right? But now AT SLOT 5 when you start training again you have another round of training for another 1,500 points.
Regardless of the slot anxiety we all had, the pet slot jump bug is over. So : For Cusidhes you ONLY have a total of 2 rounds available to you to train, and ONLY 3,000 points, and thats all. So things may be going ok, as long as you get all those total 3000 points. I dont think you may need to release retame, but test ny theory on Test (TC1) ASAP before you do anything and you lose more time trainig the skills up again...

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Take it as is to TC1 : The pet is 5 slot now, but you finished one round of training for 1500 points right? But now AT SLOT 5 when you start training again you have another round of training for another 1,500 points.
Regardless of the slot anxiety we all had, the pet slot jump bug is over. So : For Cusidhes you ONLY have a total of 2 rounds available to you to train, and ONLY 3,000 points, and thats all. So things may be going ok, as long as you get all those total 3000 points. I dont think you may need to release retame, but test ny theory on Test (TC1) ASAP before you do anything and you lose more time trainig the skills up again...
I only spend one round of points on my Cu, and I didn't get 3000 points.

Before I release/retame I'll do a TC1 check

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes but dont you have another blue button to press to train more? Check it but on tc1 first..
No, no more blue buttons. I had 1501 points to spend, which I spend all. See the picture of the Cu above where I posted the training screen.

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Release and retame again. It should drop to four. Show the stats if it doesn't.
I just released and retamed him on TC1 and iIt went back to 4 slots. I'm now going to do the same on my shard. Phew!

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
It looks like you had finished One level of training, and that was you spent the first 1500 points.
Does the picture above show what is seen after you started on the second level of training? Or you never got a chance to hit blue button for 2nd level? Cus get only 2 levels...

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It looks like you had finished One level of training, and that was you spent the first 1500 points.
Does the picture above show what is seen after you started on the second level of training? Or you never got a chance to hit blue button for 2nd level? Cus get only 2 levels...
I never got the chance to hit the blue button for a 2nd level. After the 1st level my Cu jumped from 3 to 5 slots, instead of from 3 to 4.

But it's fixed now after releasing / retaming it. I just have to wait for it to bond again, and train all of its combat skills back up...

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I never got the chance to hit the blue button for a 2nd level. After the 1st level my Cu jumped from 3 to 5 slots, instead of from 3 to 4.

But it's fixed now after releasing / retaming it. I just have to wait for it to bond again, and train all of its combat skills back up...
Probably some type of bug. Was this a prepatch Cu? I thought cus always get 2 levels of training..

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Probably some type of bug. Was this a prepatch Cu? I thought cus always get 2 levels of training..
I tamed this Cu somewhere in 2010. It occupied 4 slots when I returned a few weeks ago, and I had to release it to get it back to 3 slots. Then when I spend training points on it, it jumped from 3 to 5 slots.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Could be a bug pertaining to prepatch Cus..But release and retame again would remove that ( decreasing the skills further sadly..but at least if it was a good pet with good color/str/hps would be worth all this..)