• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

questions and help LJ/fletch

P

peanutbutter

well, i'm working my first crafter: the lumberjack fletcher. i need to know more about:

1) special woods
2) runic kits

for the first one, what levels do i start to get special wood and WHY can't i find ANY for sale ANYWHERE...

and for the second, where do i get runic kits (and why aren't they for sale either?)

thanks

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm replying only on the off-chance that no one who really knows what they are talking about sees the post.

If someone who does know what he or she is talking about responds, please believe him or her over me if there's any contradiction.

My understanding is that within the last year or so, UO switched to a system of random resource spawning.

Meaning, if I understand it right, that basically any wood can spawn from any tree.

This appears to have been made with the intent of making us use Kingdom Reborn, which has an option to only collect a certain kind of resource at a time.

So for example your character would, while chopping at a tree, somehow leave all the wood he or she didn't want on the tree for others to get, and only collect the desired type (Frostwood, for example).

Some have said, however, that all this really did was favor scripters.

As to the runic fletching kids...My understanding is that these only come from certain crafting-related quests in heartwood, and are very, very rare spawns.

-Galen's player

P

peanutbutter

so... why not just make BODs for fletchers?

i mean, it's hard enough to sell anything on a shard like LS without having to struggle to get a runic kit... right?

P

peanutbutter

err... i just looked up the quest (i think) and... apparently all the quest is is to obtain 10 bows or crossbow bolts.

so, couldn't you just bring a packy full of bolts or bows and just get/complete the quest over and over again real fast?

also, as far as fletching goes... is there any chance to have additional properties added to a bow without a runic? or is it only with runics that you can add SSI, fc, etc...

last... it appears that the best bow you can make (unless i'm mistaken) can only have 4 properties on it - so heartwood is the best runic. but there is a 1 in 10,000 chance of getting one... is this a joke?

Desperado_SE

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for the first one, what levels do i start to get special wood and WHY can't i find ANY for sale ANYWHERE...
No idea why you can't find it for sale anywhere, as I don't usually buy wood that often. But as for skill needed to get each type:
  • Oak-65
  • Ash-70
  • Yew-95
  • Heartwood/Bloodwood/Frostwood-100

so... why not just make BODs for fletchers?
I wish they would do this already.

so, couldn't you just bring a packy full of bolts or bows and just get/complete the quest over and over again real fast?
Don't hold me to this as I'm getting old and memory isn't as good as it used to be plus I just got off work, but I think they put a timer on the bolt quest to eliminate people doing exactly what your describing there. Could do it with bows, but it would be more time efficient just to bring in 1600 boards and craft the bows on the spot as needed.

is there any chance to have additional properties added to a bow without a runic? or is it only with runics that you can add SSI, fc, etc...
Its a little of both really...you can increase the intensity of the properties with a runic kits, but just crafting the bows with special woods will give the bow some properties.

... - so heartwood is the best runic. but there is a 1 in 10,000 chance of getting one... is this a joke?
:D In my opinion, yes, it is. Just another thing the Dev's did that rewards scripting and punishes honest players who actually work hard to get the rewards.

D

De'Rel of LS

You also may need Carpentry just to make the boards and it is also scaled like blacksmithy as to what woods you can work with, I know I could not even carve the specialty woods into boards with my LJ, I do not know if Fletching gives you this ability.

P

peanutbutter

yeah, i have 51 carp and can't even carve oak. but i'm gonna just save all my special woods and get fletch to 100 before i work carp.

i just hope that it will be somewhat worth the time and effort. i mean, i hope there is SOME sort of market where i can sell my bows when the day comes. especially as hard as it is to get a runic kit.

you know, the devs have to adapt with the times... if there's a limited number of people playing, you have to make it easier on the ones that are playing.

for example, in City of Heroes: they opted to take a very unpopular server and make it easier for the players there. on Freedom server, they offered double XP and influence gains for anyone who played it.

there's NO reason why UO can't adapt that way. make the less populated servers more beneficial to play on so people aren't struggling because a handful of people have the toons and time to get all the good stuff.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have to have the same level in carpentry as you do in lumberjacking to manipulate the various types of wood. This includes making boards.