• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Inscription] Questions About Making Spellbooks

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there,

I know nothing about the Inscription skill, and I couldn't find any information here. So here are my questions:

• When I craft regular spellbooks, doe the special attributes (like FC, FCR, LRC etc.) come randomly, or do I need special ingredients?
  • I understand that the magery skill determines the chance of the quality of the crafted spellbook. Does only real skill count, or do skill-increasing items also count against the chance?
  • With 110 magery and 100 inscription, approximately how often will I get spellbooks with magic attributes? Are they very rare, or quite common?
  • Can other spellbooks (Mysticism, Spellweaving, Necromancy) have magic attributes as well, when I craft them?
  • Does a Scrapper's Compendium also get random magic attributes automatically when crafted with high inscription/magery skill, or do I need a special recipe or special ingredients?

Thanks for helping!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apologies. The essay on inscription is one that has not been updated yet. I would love to find someone with all the relevant knowledge, writing skills and willingness to help, but meantime it awaits me finding time to research it. Maybe your question will serve two purposes and help me with that task. I'll answer those questions I can. Those I can't are the reason the page isn't done yet.
Attributes on spell books come randomly, the intensity and number of them are dependent on your inscription, magery and evaluate intelligence skill. edit: no eval required.
2,3 and 4 I can't answer
Scrappers only needs the special ingredients to make it, additional properties are dependent on the same 2 skills as listed above.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
When I craft regular spellbooks, doe the special attributes (like FC, FCR, LRC etc.) come randomly, or do I need special ingredients? No

I understand that the magery skill determines the chance of the quality of the crafted spellbook. Does only real skill count, or do skill-increasing items also count against the chance? it does appear that it goes by real skill at the end of this i will provide a link!

• With 110 magery and 100 inscription, approximately how often will I get spellbooks with magic attributes? Are they very rare, or quite common?
about one in 10 it seems maybe even 1 in 5 its very random

Can other spellbooks (Mysticism, Spellweaving, Necromancy) have magic attributes as well, when I craft them? yes mysticism,magery for sure! again i will provide a link where this was discussed at the end!

• Does a Scrapper's Compendium also get random magic attributes automatically when crafted with high inscription/magery skill, or do I need a special recipe or special ingredients? Petra answered this one for you!
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=181799

Note: when you make myst books you do not get plus magery you get plus myst

B

BlackMagus

With 110 magery and 100 inscription, approximately how often will I get spellbooks with magic attributes? Are they very rare, or quite common?

about one in 10 it seems maybe even 1 in 5 its very random
This. Make sure you use an exceptional bonus talisman, which will greatly increase your odds of better attributes. :thumbup1:

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there,

I know nothing about the Inscription skill, and I couldn't find any information here. So here are my questions:

• When I craft regular spellbooks, doe the special attributes (like FC, FCR, LRC etc.) come randomly, or do I need special ingredients?
  • I understand that the magery skill determines the chance of the quality of the crafted spellbook. Does only real skill count, or do skill-increasing items also count against the chance?
  • Can other spellbooks (Mysticism, Spellweaving, Necromancy) have magic attributes as well, when I craft them?
  • Does a Scrapper's Compendium also get random magic attributes automatically when crafted with high inscription/magery skill, or do I need a special recipe or special ingredients?

Thanks for helping!
Ahoy!

1) Totally random. No special ingredients required

2) From experience, looks like it's based off displayed magery. So +magery increase items will count

3) I don't have the statistics for 110 magery, but for 120 magery-
  • approx 1 in 2 will have at least 1 property,
  • approx 1 in 5 will have at least 2 properties,
  • approx 1 in 20 will have 3 properties
Also, exceptionally crafted books does not have an effect on the number of properties or their intensities. But inscription talismans will help improve your success rate of crafting a spellbook

4) Only limited to magery spellbooks at the moment
Edit: I am wrong on this, you can make necro and mys books with properties, but your scribe will need the respective necro/mys skills.

5) Scrappers compendium itself requires a recipe to make. It comes with 4 fixed properties 1 fc, 1 fcr, 10 LMC and 25 SDI.
It can have up to 3 extra properties added just like normal spellbooks. But seems like slightly lower chances than above.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards

not true i have the mystic books to prove it!

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

not true i have the mystic books to prove it!
Eek!!

I'd never been able to make one with properties or a necro book with properties either. Do you have mysticism on your scribe?

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have made several Necromancy spellbooks with magical properties. I suspect it works similar to magery, in that the higher your skill (relevant skill: Mysticism or Necromancy) the better chance you have to get properties. When I was scribing the Necormancy books, I was unsuccessful at first, until I put on some necromancy jewelry to get over 110.0 skill.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That makes sense. I was scribing necro and mys books with magery, no wonder I could not get any with stats.

Learned something today, thanks!

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Eek!!

I'd never been able to make one with properties or a necro book with properties either. Do you have mysticism on your scribe?
yes the higher the more mods just like magery! and the slayers work for mysticism or magery no matter what you are holding(myst or magery) it seems the necro dont get the slayer damage if holding magery or myst, poo was verifying this i believe !

R

RichDC

Another note:

Intelligence = BIG HELP!!!

Now its not written anywhere but...i have recently raised 2 scribes.

Both had 120magery, one had 110 intelligence. The other 150.

In crafting 30k scrolls worth of books my first one got 5 super slayers and a few nice books.

The second got 9 Super slayers including 2 reponds with mods!

This could just be RNG, or...it could be proof that intelligence increases % chance of slayers (btw neither wore a tali)

Either way, i would definatly cap out int...not as if its hard to do, 125 base +10 pendant +8 HOM +2 Cloak and +5 on a ring/brace.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I agree int most likely does effect it but atm i have no proof to it! and its very hard to tell with how the rng is!

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
5) Scrappers compendium itself requires a recipe to make. It comes with 4 fixed properties 1 fc, 1 fcr, 10 LMC and 25 SDI.
It can have up to 3 extra properties added just like normal spellbooks. But seems like slightly lower chances than above.

Do I understand it right that some Scrappers can come out with a total of 7 (seven) properties (the 4 fixed + the 3 extra....) ?

What are the 3 extra, usually ?

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A normal spellbook has up to three of the following properties:
Faster Casting, Faster Cast Recovery, Lower Mana Cost, Lower Reagent Cost, Mana Increase, Mana Regeneration, Spell Damage Increase, Intelligence Bonus and a few mage related Skills(Magery, Eval. Int., Meditation and Resist) and slayer

The scrappers already has FC, FCR, LMC and SDI, so those can't be on.

I've never seen a scrappers with MR and can't recall having seen one with intelligence bonus, but I wont discount them as possible properties.

That leaves pretty much skill gains (up to 12, I think), LRC (up to 16%) and slayers as the possible extra three mods.

But I can count the number of three mod scrappers I've seen on one finger or less.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What farsight says. It can't be the 4 that's already on, but all other properties you can find on magery books are valid candidates, including mr, mana and int.