• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tinkering] Questions about Creating Lockpick Boxes

FatMagic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello! Bear with me, as I'm back in the game from a 4 year hiatus, and I'm still trying to relearn everything.

Here is my situation and question... I'm looking to make a "Lockpicking House", and I want to know what Boxes I need to acquire to allow skill gains from 30 Lockpick skill to 95. I keep reading about "Tinker skill 50 Boxes for skill 30 to 50", "Tinker skill 70 Boxes for skill X to X..", etc, etc. But my question is, how can I get Tinker skill 50 boxes from a GM Tinker? Or do I have to personally level up a Tinker to make these boxes AS I get to those levels?

And regarding gains in Lockpicking... I believe I heard I need like 20 boxes of each skill "plateau" (i.e. 30 to 50, 50 to 70, etc). Is that true?

Thanks for help ahead of time :) I look forward to your responses.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They finally got rid of the anti-macro code, so you really only need ONE of each box (though setting up 20 boxes can be a bit more convenient - especially for a lockpicking training house, and settign up macros).

You have to have that particular skill to make the boxes at that level.

However, if you can find another lockpick training house, they might give you some of their boxes to free up lockdown space. For example, when I inherited the THB house on Lake Austin, I had 100 of each low-level box, and 400 of the high-level ones. I've cut that down to 40 of each of the lower level, and 180 of the GM boxes, and used all the free lockdowns for deco in the new house (the old one was pretty much an ugly square box, from lack of lockdown space)

FatMagic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I decided to start a Tinker and make a bunch of Lockpick boxes... I want to make a decent Lockpick house for people to use (and for my training as well). So I made about 15 exceptional boxes at skill 50, then about 15 more exceptional boxes at skill 60, and then I'll make 15 more exceptional boxes at skill 70. And then i'll try to get a GM Tinker to make me about 20 exceptional boxes... at least that is my plan.

Do you think that will work for a Lockpick house? I would assume so since the anti-macro code was removed and I only need a few boxes essentially.

Z

zorrah

Just out of curiosity, what shard are you playing on? There may be some people on the forums who are willing to help you out. :)

FatMagic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, I'm playing on the Chesapeake server. I haven't been able to find any active Lockpicking houses, so I decided to take it upon myself to make one :)

Z

zorrah

Aw, I play on Baja so no help to you. But kudos to you for taking on the project :) Good luck to ya!

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, I'm playing on the Chesapeake server. I haven't been able to find any active Lockpicking houses, so I decided to take it upon myself to make one :)
I made a lockpick house years ago and a friend on cats still runs it.
15-50 skill boxes
15- 70 skill boxes
15 -90 skill boxes
15- gm boxes

will do you fine.

You might also want to make a few books of safe dungeon chest locations...they were very popular at my place.

You might also want to make extra 70 skill boxes...you can sell them. People need them to gm in twisted weald!

Good luck...nice to see people giving back to their community.

:)

FatMagic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I finished my lockpicking house! I will post it up in the Treasure Hunters' thread (there is a Lockpicking House thread there).

And I just hit GM on Lockpicking last night in the Twisted Weald! What a great way to GM! Now I'm going to prowl around the Dungeons picking chests :)

And yes, good idea about the Lockpicking Runebooks -- I was just starting to create that this morning!

Raider Red

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I finished my lockpicking house! I will post it up in the Treasure Hunters' thread (there is a Lockpicking House thread there).

And I just hit GM on Lockpicking last night in the Twisted Weald! What a great way to GM! Now I'm going to prowl around the Dungeons picking chests :)

And yes, good idea about the Lockpicking Runebooks -- I was just starting to create that this morning!

how long did it take you to gm lockpicking?I am thinking of training 2 other chars of mine so I can have a gm lockpicker on all 3 of my accounts so If on eis down I wont have to wait for payday :)

FatMagic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I bought up to 30, and then worked on tinkered boxes up to 95, and then finished in Twisted Weald.

It took me about 2 days (of maybe 3 to 5 hours each) to get from 30 Lockpicking to 95, and then from 95 to 100 took me two nights in the Twisted Weald of about 2 to 3 hours (not counting getting killed by the changelings every now and again). I can't really remember exactly for sure, but it went ALOT faster than I expected.

I hope that is helpful :)

p.s. If you're on Chesapeake, you can use my Lockpick house to get to 95! Here are the directions to my place: http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?p=1022898#post1022898