Question on stealth and taming =)

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
G

Just wondering, if you are a stealth tamer, can you actually *tame* while stealthed? Or does starting to tame bring you out of stealth mode?

Thanks!

G

Ah bugger! I kinda guessed that it would, but wasn't sure =)

Some days I do wish I'd put magery on my tamer =P

Thanks!

DrDolittle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 7, 2002
Skara Brae Stables, Atlantic
You are welcome.

You just need to do what I do; make one of each!

I have a tamer/mage, a tamer/bard, a stealth/tamer, a tamer archer, a tamer warrior and another tamer that I haven’t figured out what it will be yet. Yes, *spreads the MTS virus* multiple tamers is the way go.

G

*chuckles*

I have the tamer/mage, and the tamer bard (both in training), and the tamer archer - which is the one I wanted to SS stealth onto to get me into a couple places to tame myself some more friends =D And the stealth tamer actually *has* been thought about very seriously for a while now, I do still have room for one more character! =D

G

You can't tame and remain hidden, however when my stealther tames she tends to sneak up and start taming from hidden which gets her part way through an attempt before the beastie notices her
I've not tried smoke bombs during a tame, but I do often drop an invis on her to keep breaking the animal's targeting.

What I love most with my stealther is the ability to hold the hide macro while backing off on low health and breaking target. Then I can heal, invis, stealth back to the animal and start the tame again. But be careful as the normal invis timer still applies if you stealth after an invis.

Hope that makes sense!

Wenchy

P

Prudentis

OMG all this taming

My only tamer isn't even natural GM yet and you talk about multiple tamer chars like skilling taming was such a breeze

Or do you have a secret, where I can train taming in the 10th of the normal time

I

imported_Hinotori

We're just insane. Last tamer took me just over two weeks to go from 0 to GM (was testing low end skill gain speed. I actually started taming at 0, I didn't buy it). That was an hour to an hour and a half specific critter taming each night. I had her stripped of every other skill though, not even magery on her, to try and maximize her GGS gains. Those don't help much really though if you are taming your fingers off.

I love my stealth/tamer. It's easy to get into nasty spots with her then call my pets to me. For the Citadel, I can leave them in the foyer and sneak around to the table then tell them to follow me and they do when I stealth back down the stairs to the red key room.

I recommend a good mana pool and 2/6 casting jewels, if you're going to use any tamer in dangerous spots. That way you can keep up with casting greater heals while the bandages are applying.

I sneak around and lore all the critters in an area when I'm looking for a pet. That way I can get a good one without lots of killing sometimes. Sneak up, embrace honor, tame the critter and get out of there before to much other stuff attacks it.

P

Prudentis

Hmmm
I haven't gone taming for gains since I returned to UO. I just do my daily kirin with jewelry equipped and that's it.
But if you really can go 0-GM in two weeks of 1-1.5h/day, than either taming got a lot easier than back in 2000 or I just suck at luck

I mean back then I was only taming during PH because other than that you were pretty screwed. And still, I only got from 90 to 95.5 within two weeks of powerhour taming. So here we have me @ 90-95.5 in two weeks and you @ 0-GM in the same time

I was taming white wolves then but I think I remember, that the tames were pretty constant ... Don't know. Maybe my memory just fails me

I WOULD like to have another tamer or even two.
My main is a mage/tamer, then I'd like to have a bard/tamer than a stealth tamer and it would be wonderful if my t-Hunter had taming, too.

G

Oh, none of mine are natural GM tamer yet! My archer/tamer is my most developed, and she's at 98 taming =D But fully playable with jewels =) My mage/tamer is my treasure hunter, her taming is around 90 natural, and bard/tamer is 70?ish Finding bard skills reallu slpw to tame too, got bored playing with her, cos it didnt seem like I could *play* her, just train =P So I'm lettuing her have a holiday

(ps its very hard to type with a sooky, smoochy kitten on one arm - please fprgive typos!)

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 24, 2003
Baja!!
I have 1 tamer thats fully developed. 120 taming and lore natural, 110 vet 120 with jewels. then magery and peacing. She took me forever. But I have 3 others started and in the 80's- 90's stealth tamer, 2 tamer/mages, on different shards. I think it's an addiction lol. Next one will be archer tamer, my original was supposed to be that but that was along time ago.

I

imported_Tina Small

Yes, having multiple tamers is definitely an addiction. I currently have 23 of them, spread out over ten shards (Atlantic, Baja, Great Lakes, Lake Austin, Legends, Napa, Oceania, Origin, Pacific, and Sonoma):

<ul>[*]One mage tamer with 120 real taming; one mage tamer with 108 real taming; another mage tamer with hiding that's at 100 real taming.

[*]Thirteen peace tamers. One has just over 110 real taming; three are at 100 real taming; four are in the low 90s, and the rest are in the high 80s.

[*]Seven tracker tamers I use or plan to use for factions (skills are taming, lore, vet, magery, detect hidden, tracking, hiding, stealing). A couple are completely finished and have 90 real taming; the rest are still in development with lower amounts of real taming. [/list]

All the tamers have (or will have) their real lore skill worked up between 110 and 120. I hope to get all of the mage tamers and peace tamers to 120 real taming someday. The tracker tamers will probably never go any higher than 90 or 95 real taming. All except the tamer with 120 real taming are still wearing taming jewelry. One of my goals is to get as many of them as I can out of wearing taming jewelry because I like knowing that they can command the pets after being freshly rezzed and still in a death robe and the pets aren't losing loyalty or ignoring commands.

I've been trying to get more organized with keeping track of all the tamers' pets. At last count, all of them combined currently own 131 "high-end" pets (1 bake kitsune, 19 cu sidhe, 12 dragons, 3 fire steeds, 6 frenzied ostards, 5 greater dragons, 17 greater hiryus, 29 nightmares, 17 rune beetles, 5 unicorns, and 17 white wyrms). I wish I could say all the pets are fully trained, but they're not. But that's okay, because I do enjoy training them.

P

Prudentis

And I thought I was the insane one

Taming must be one of the hardest (the hardest?) skill to train up. I really would like to have taming on my T_Huntress and fisherwoman but it takes soooo long to train up

Inspired by all yout multiple tamers posts and especially Hinotori's 2 weeks to GM post, I went out for a session of specific critter taming on my main again. At the beginning of the hour-long session, he was 97,3 real taming. At the end he was 97,5
And that was including the GGS after first tame.
How you manage to not go insane going to 120 or even GM on multiple chars, is beyond me
I wish I had this patience ...
I mean at this pace, my tamer would need 112 hours of taming to reach 120. And that only if ignoring the fact, that 110-120 gains are probably even much slower that the gains now.
How Hinotori made GM in two weeks, is also something, which sonds just too unbelievable ... Two weeks sounds more like going from 98-GM and not 0-GM

I

imported_Tina Small

What really helped me to start making some serious progress on all my tamers was to put their skills information in a spreadsheet and sort it by who had the highest taming skill. I don't know why, but just seeing those numbers inch up slowly has been a great motivator for me.

I also learned that if I stick with the taming for at least 20 minutes, I will usually get a second gain, and if I have the patience to do it for an hour then I just might end up with 3-6 more gains. If I'm taming white wolves, I also try to squeeze in killing some orcs and frost trolls and maybe some polar bears for the leather. If taming unicorns in Malas, I kill the other spawn or go looking for it every once in a while. Anything to break up the monotony a bit.

I don't tame with each tamer for 20 minutes each day. No, most of them just get their one gain for the day and that's it. But if I get the urge to spend more time on a particular tamer, I make myself work at the taming for at least 30 minutes (if I got a second gain after 20 minutes or so).

I usually tame white wolves (with no jewelry on and real skill is 80s to low 90s) until the tamer's skill with jewelry is about 105. After that it's put the jewelry on and tame unicorns, drakes, dragons, or nightmares. I try to donate the tamed stuff to the zoo, although it really seems pretty pointless. I'm hoping some day that will pay off but I just don't know. I guess I'm waiting for the day to get here when I see that I have enough points between all my tamers to get something good from the zoo and won't be able to because all the points are so spread out. ROFL

P

Prudentis

First of all, 3-6 gains seems not possible for me.
I don't know why, but when I tamed Great Harts last time, I got only .2 in over an hour (97.3 - 97.5) and one of the gains was a GGS after the first tame.
Maybe Great Harts are too low for my skill but I still fail occasionally, so it shouldn't be that bad. Maybe I'll try white wolves again.

And about the zoo contribution. As long as you manage to reach 550000 points on a single char, you will get an armor piece. That is 2200 unicorns. So if you are really interested in the zoo armor, I would probably stick to unicorn/ki-rin taming