• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question on skeletal dragons

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do skeletal dragons still release pets?
I know the ones you summon wih necromancy don't. But i mean the one that spawns in ilshenar and doom.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do skeletal dragons still release pets?
I know the ones you summon wih necromancy don't. But i mean the one that spawns in ilshenar and doom.
Yes, they cast "Animate Dead".

I'm not sure about the mastery controlled skeletal dragons though, I would assume they do not.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
no, i believe they meant, do they still cause your pets to unbond and i believe that was fixed

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i know for sure the ones in the Shadowguard (Roof) encounter do not release your pets.
the one in Doom also does not anymore either.

i do believe that was fixed, only one i cant say for sure is the Ilsh ones as i havnt killed any in recent memory.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ah yes, there's nothing that releases pets anymore, instead they have a chance to deal triple damage to your pet when attacking.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ah yes, there's nothing that releases pets anymore, instead they have a chance to deal triple damage to your pet when attacking.
Crimson Dragons, and some other Event monsters, have the ability to make pets go wild. Even after the normal creatures that did it (Skeletal Dragons, Serpentine Dragons), had that ability replaced with a 20% chance to do triple damage to tamed pets.

@Kyronix Speaking of Skeletal Dragons, they're still bugged. Controlled Skeletal Dragons still cast Poison Strike, which the splash damage can hit guildies/blues. I just had this happen earlier today during a guild Travesty hunt. Hopefully, instead of just removing Poison Strike from them, you guys can finally fix the actual flagging issues with pets using AoE (this flagging issue has been around forever, since WWs could cast Mass Curse in 1998). That way, when the Pet Revamp comes, we can have pets that offer AoE.

One thing that i found very interesting, was that after i released a Skeletal Dragon, one of my guildies commanded his trained 4.6 GD to attack it in 1v1. They redlined each other, and once at redline, the Skeletal Dragon kept healing itself with Spirit Speak, preventing it from dying. We had to FS to kill it. Pretty amazing that in 1v1, a trained 4.6 GD nearly lost to a released Skeletal Dragon, that no longer had the Life Drain from my Control. And just think, you can have 2 Skeletal Dragons under control, and they can go up to 200 DEX (the one i had was 153 DEX).

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just tested a controlled Skeletal Dragon with 196 DEX (when Blessed), against a fully trained 3.6 Dragon Turtle Hatchling. No contest. The Skeletal Dragon mopped the floor with the DTH. The Skeletal Dragon had 80-85% of his health left, when the DTH was redlined. Not only was the Skeletal Dragon leeching large amounts of health back with every melee hit (and striking much faster than the DTH), but he was also getting occasional triple damage hits, going from 33 damage a melee hit to 100+ on some, which even further fed his leeching.
I have little doubt that a high DEX Skeletal Dragon could rock even a 5.0 fully trained, tame Greater Dragon. Especially if it's a 195+ DEX Skeletal Dragon (they can spawn with up to 200 DEX), that is Blessed for 210+ Stam...
High DEX Skeletal Dragons, are by far the most powerful "pet" in the game, and you can control two at once.

@Kyronix After further testing to see what causes flagging problems with Skeletal Dragons, i'm unable to conclude the cause. I had a Skeletal Dragon attacking Gregorio the Brigand for 20 minutes straight, with my other guild char and his DTH standing right next to Gregorio. Not once did the Skeletal Dragon cast a Wither or a Poison Strike, or flag on my green, guilded chars. Because when hunting Travesty i keep Conduit up for my own Poison Strikes, i tested to see if the SD's single target necro spells were interacting with my Conduit and causing flagging issues, but they were not. I'm stumped on what is causing flagging issues with Skeletal Dragons.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just tested a controlled Skeletal Dragon with 196 DEX (when Blessed), against a fully trained 3.6 Dragon Turtle Hatchling. No contest. The Skeletal Dragon mopped the floor with the DTH. The Skeletal Dragon had 80-85% of his health left, when the DTH was redlined. Not only was the Skeletal Dragon leeching large amounts of health back with every melee hit (and striking much faster than the DTH), but he was also getting occasional triple damage hits, going from 33 damage a melee hit to 100+ on some, which even further fed his leeching.
I have little doubt that a high DEX Skeletal Dragon could rock even a 5.0 fully trained, tame Greater Dragon. Especially if it's a 195+ DEX Skeletal Dragon (they can spawn with up to 200 DEX), that is Blessed for 210+ Stam...
High DEX Skeletal Dragons, are by far the most powerful "pet" in the game, and you can control two at once.

@Kyronix After further testing to see what causes flagging problems with Skeletal Dragons, i'm unable to conclude the cause. I had a Skeletal Dragon attacking Gregorio the Brigand for 20 minutes straight, with my other guild char and his DTH standing right next to Gregorio. Not once did the Skeletal Dragon cast a Wither or a Poison Strike, or flag on my green, guilded chars. Because when hunting Travesty i keep Conduit up for my own Poison Strikes, i tested to see if the SD's single target necro spells were interacting with my Conduit and causing flagging issues, but they were not. I'm stumped on what is causing flagging issues with Skeletal Dragons.
You know what I never understood is the game knows that your friends aren't attacking you when they cast stuff... so why is it tamed, summoned and controlled pets can't seem to be able to distinguish friend from foe? It's extremely annoying because I don't know about you but I WANT my pets, summons and controlled pets to do AREA EFFECT DAMAGE... to my ENEMIES!

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You know what I never understood is the game knows that your friends aren't attacking you when they cast stuff... so why is it tamed, summoned and controlled pets can't seem to be able to distinguish friend from foe? It's extremely annoying because I don't know about you but I WANT my pets, summons and controlled pets to do AREA EFFECT DAMAGE... to my ENEMIES!
Yep. WWs used to have the ability to cast Mass Curse back in 1998, but it caused flagging issues, so instead of fixing the issue with pet AoE, they just removed the Mass Curse spell from WWs. Ki-Rins used to cast Chain Lightning on your attackers when you went low health while riding a Ki-Rin, but i haven't seen that in a long time. You used to be able to use the "Dryad's Allure" spell to Charm Meer Eternals, and they have an AoE "Spirit Lash" ability that deals 100% Health damage divided by the number of victims hit, so if only 1 victim was hit with it, it was insta death, even for things with 30k+ Health. "Spirit Lash" had flagging issues as well. Meer Captains also had flagging issues with Holy Light when Charmed. Most recently, Skeletal Dragons had flagging issues with Poison Strike and Wither, which the devs just removed those spells from them once Controlled.

Sadly, until they actually fix the flagging issue itself (instead of just removing the AoE abilities), i don't think we'll ever see a pet with AoE. The closest we have today, is a Bane Dragon, or perhaps the SW Mastery "Reaper".
The Bane Dragon can DP (if fed) everything that hits it in melee (so it can have DP on up to 9 targets if surrounded), and if hit with ranged damage, it can do a Poison Breath on the ranged attacker, which can Greater Poison them. Taking a Bane Dragon to farm Raptor Teeth is hilarious, you're screen will be spammed with *Raptor is wracked with extreme pain.* They're pretty funny for the first few levels of a Champ Spawn too, with their ability to DP multiple melee attackers. Once tougher monsters or casters (Arch Cure) start spawning though, Bane Dragons become less useful at Champs.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yep. WWs used to have the ability to cast Mass Curse back in 1998, but it caused flagging issues, so instead of fixing the issue with pet AoE, they just removed the Mass Curse spell from WWs. Ki-Rins used to cast Chain Lightning on your attackers when you went low health while riding a Ki-Rin, but i haven't seen that in a long time. You used to be able to use the "Dryad's Allure" spell to Charm Meer Eternals, and they have an AoE "Spirit Lash" ability that deals 100% Health damage divided by the number of victims hit, so if only 1 victim was hit with it, it was insta death, even for things with 30k+ Health. "Spirit Lash" had flagging issues as well. Meer Captains also had flagging issues with Holy Light when Charmed. Most recently, Skeletal Dragons had flagging issues with Poison Strike and Wither, which the devs just removed those spells from them once Controlled.

Sadly, until they actually fix the flagging issue itself (instead of just removing the AoE abilities), i don't think we'll ever see a pet with AoE. The closest we have today, is a Bane Dragon, or perhaps the SW Mastery "Reaper".
The Bane Dragon can DP (if fed) everything that hits it in melee (so it can have DP on up to 9 targets if surrounded), and if hit with ranged damage, it can do a Poison Breath on the ranged attacker, which can Greater Poison them. Taking a Bane Dragon to farm Raptor Teeth is hilarious, you're screen will be spammed with *Raptor is wracked with extreme pain.* They're pretty funny for the first few levels of a Champ Spawn too, with their ability to DP multiple melee attackers. Once tougher monsters or casters (Arch Cure) start spawning though, Bane Dragons become less useful at Champs.
Well if the Reaper of the SW mastery can do things without flagging then they ought to be able to fix pets, summons and controlled mobs as well without crippling them and taking away their usefulness..... it's stupid in my opinion to just take the stuff away... taking away their AoE abilities just makes them worthless..... IMO.