• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question on secondary char Bonding

A

Azumazi

Okay, first post, but to let everyone know I did use search function and have literally googled this and found no answer out right.

Been playing UO off and on since 98, came back after quitting 2 months before AoS about last year, and finally got myself a few soulstones and decided to do something for my warrior I always wanted to do back in the day. Put him on a Nightmare and with bonding sounds like fun.

Now here is the direct question, being that I've only ever bonded on my tamer, and or on a non (29.1) higher or special off the tamer do I need to transfer Lore or just taming.

I plan on moving my 95 taming from my tamer over to the warrior and use jewelry to put it at 100 for the bonding step, so is there going to be a complication? Reason I ask is with how UO likes to stealth patch and or break features every patch don't want to try this and feel like I wasted a week due to a small slip up when I could have asked and saved myself the time. Especially considering it was hard enough to get the nightmare to transfer to him in the first place without lore (Like literally 88 tries before we beat him into submission :gun: )

(Edit) Bah, totally forgot the second part of the question. Is it still the same as before where if I remove the skill off the char and put it back on before I unstable the creature it should still bond correct? Meaning as long as I meet the requirement the first feed, and the second the time in between the skill doesn't matter while stabled?

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only experience I have doing this is with my necro, regarding Bake Kitsunes, but I kept the taming on the char for the full week just because, then bonded it, took off skill.

You only need taming skill to bond a creature, lore doesnt factor in for bonding. I'd assume you can take off taming in between, and then after you bond, well, you'd never need tame or lore I suppose to ride it, just could never control it hehe.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To bond you just need enough taming skill, though I've never tried to bond without lore, it should still work.

But, the formula for pet control has changed so you will need some lore skill if your warrior is planning to use the nightmare. This page will let you work out your control chances for pets and if you scroll down on this page you'll find an explanation of the new control formula.

While your pet is in the stable bonding between feeds, you can lower your skill down again and it won't affect your chance to bond on the second feed. Though you only need to have your taming at or above the pet's minimum taming skill to bond, which for mares is 95.1 if I remember right. You'll need about GM skill to control the mare, but I think you're just 1 gain from bonding with "real" skill there.

Wenchy

A

Azumazi

Yeah, as for controlling him, was more or less going to be for looks and not actual use. So have the process started so hopefully all goes well :)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You know, every now and again someone comes up with a new take on an old subject. I had never thought of bonding a pet then removing taming so they could have the pet as a durable mount. You could do the same with a cu sidhe.

Just wow, another thing I had never thought of.

A

Azumazi

I thought about doing it with a Cu, but being that its a human char I decided on the Nightmare, that and I know you can get the pads, just like how the plate char looks on a black horse, all evil and such :lol:

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like a cool idea - thanks for sharing.

I guess the only risk is if you are dismounted or die and try to issue an order to the pet. But I'm guessing you've already taken that into consideration.

Another related thought: if the pet dies while you're dismounted and you rez the pet, wonder if it will be in a wonderfully happy state. Even if it isn't, I guess you'd just hop on right away and have no worries.

A

Azumazi

I guess the only risk is if you are dismounted or die and try to issue an order to the pet. But I'm guessing you've already taken that into consideration.

Another related thought: if the pet dies while you're dismounted and you rez the pet, wonder if it will be in a wonderfully happy state. Even if it isn't, I guess you'd just hop on right away and have no worries.
Yeah, and being that hes human it might take me like 20 tries but I can still lore him to check happiness as needed, and it wouldn't be the first time I died and my pet had to lay down the law while I run back :gun:

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

That shouldn't be an issue, if you need to run simply run around in a circle until you can mount your pet again. If it is a cu sidhe it will heal itself if it gets poisoned and pets will generally follow their owners around if they receive no commands. If you accidentally try to command it and it loses loyalty, just feed it.

However, a word of warning. If this becomes a common practice or the devs catch wind of it, expect it to be "fixed"... ;)

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See, this is one thing I haven't tried, but I'd be worried that a nightmare might drop loyalty like a rock if you have little to no lore. Even if you weren't commanding it, I think it might drop a good bit faster than if you had lore on the warrior too. I could be wrong, but I'd lore the mare a lot to be sure it was ok, just to be on the safe side.

You won't be able to give the mare commands which might be awkward but I know there used to be folks riding mares and unicorns just for the look a while ago.

Let us know how you get on with it :)

Wenchy

B

bosskram

Just anouther though. I think if you looked hard enogh and worked at it you could most likely make a good warrior/tamer char. IE: Put 100 taming, 50 lore, and the rest in fighting skills. That way you could have the satifaction of beating on something with your own two hands, and you could use the pet for a little extra and don't have to worrie about it losing loyalty.. Just a thoughtrolleyes:

A

Azumazi

Just anouther though. I think if you looked hard enogh and worked at it you could most likely make a good warrior/tamer char. IE: Put 100 taming, 50 lore, and the rest in fighting skills. That way you could have the satifaction of beating on something with your own two hands, and you could use the pet for a little extra and don't have to worrie about it losing loyalty.. Just a thoughtrolleyes:
I tried that a long time ago tbh Boss and it just doesn't work out that well. Archer Tamers, Bard Tamers, and Mage/Caster tamers do fine. Melee brings out a whole new set of issues however. Hence why I just want it for looks and if the going gets bad and need a hand I can jump off use an invis pot let him aggro first and join in and heal with chiv while I do back up damage on those tough situations.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
However, a word of warning. If this becomes a common practice or the devs catch wind of it, expect it to be "fixed"... ;)
I'm not entirely sure how useful a group of uncontrollable owned Cus would be as far as Devs are concerned, of course, who really knows. But as far as no skill kills go, two Bouras are fairly amazing despite not being mounts, hehe.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But as far as no skill kills go, two Bouras are fairly amazing despite not being mounts, hehe.
I have a bonded lowland and highland boura in the stables but haven't taken them out yet. Will have to train them up and get more familiar with what they can do. So many things to do, so little time... :)

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a bonded lowland and highland boura in the stables but haven't taken them out yet. Will have to train them up and get more familiar with what they can do. So many things to do, so little time... :)
As with all things that aren't mounts, the most annoying thing is of course they are slow and you have to account for them wherever you go, haha. But I love to use them, for example, with my dexxer, to kill cavern rat bosses extra fast :). Little things.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As with all things that aren't mounts, the most annoying thing is of course they are slow and you have to account for them wherever you go, haha. But I love to use them, for example, with my dexxer, to kill cavern rat bosses extra fast :). Little things.
Once the bouras max out their dex, they move at a fairly decent speed, especially when you tell them to kill something. Until then, yes, they do move rather slowly.