• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question on Privacy Policy

Z

Zofinur

Im confused about the privacy policy/policies.

It was said that game-masters cant tell me details because of the privacy policy.
Might be because i am not native english, but i didnt found this in any of the following pages i read (some were even offered in other languages, though it didnt help)

Can anybody enlighten me and tells me where the privacy-policy forbids EA or their employess to tell me secrets on my account.
And i am not talking about to discuss anything in public, but to tell me in private via email, phone or whatever.

M

muldran

If your records were held in the UK, you would be able to ask for a 'data subject access' request, and pay a nominal fee of about £10, that would allow access to all data held on you - regardless of whether it's marked as 'secret or internal'. This is why banks in the UK don't keep details such as 'this customer is a complete mutant' on their records, since they'd have to disclose this if a customer asked for a data subject access request. And that has happened - I remember insulting records having to be released to the public, from a UK bank about 5 years ago! This is all part of the DPA, which is a UK based law, although stretches to cover EU.

This does not apply to other countries; your information on your account will be held by EA in the states (i.e. your account details - the account management system - is based there, even if your characters are on the Europe-located service). So you may be a European\UK person, but since the company is States-based, or has its customer-system in the states, we fall outside of that protection.

Doesn't look like there is any way to get this data for you.

L

Lady_Mina

Could be worse...i once had to call EA support for a billing problem...and they connected me to EA india...and i was talking to a person with a heavy accent that sounded like Apu Nahasapimapettilon.

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is all part of the DPA, which is a UK based law, although stretches to cover EU.
OT: this is European legislation that the UK was forced to implement, not the other way around.

Z

Zofinur

your information on your account will be held by EA in the states
Correct: "Your data will be stored in the USA" (second link, first paragraph)

Update: Same paragraph: EA and EA affiliates use your data to ... communicate with you
Souonds to me that they in fact are allowed to communicate with me ...