• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question on mythic character token

Merth

Journeyman
So being a returning player playing on Europa ive noticed obvious low populations especially since my play time is right before and after server downtime.

I have everything i need skill wise; taming, mage, bard for the PvM I enjoy.

What I dont have is a mule/crafter. I went vendor searching last night for a simple forge and all I could find on vendors was higher end stuff I cant afford and wouldnt know what its even used for at this point.

So I was debating on moving my tamer to Atlantic and picking up a mythic character token to make a crafter mule.

Which skills would you select?

I was thinking the ones i need most would be:

Miner
Lumberjack
Fishing
Smith
Carpenter
Tinker
Scribe
Tailor

Obviously i cant pick 8 so what do ya’ll think?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Soulstones are easy to get now, as are some jewelry with otherwise crappy stats.

a. Fishing isn't really a crafting skill, so don't know why you'd list it.
b. Scribe is best kept on a mage -there's bonuses to crafted books for GM+ casting skill as well as SDI bonuses.
c. You get extra resists on armor, and DI on weapons, from Arms Lore.
d. Lumberjack gives DI bonus to axing

One option for maximum effect without having Imbuing/reforging is

Carp 100
Tinker 100
Smith 100 (using Ancient Smith hammers for greater skill)
Tailor 120
Arms Lore 100
Lumberjack 100
Mining 100

However, this has no defense or travel abilities. What would work better is
Carp 100
Tinker 100
Smith 120
Tailor 120
Arms Lore 100
Mining 100
(Lumberjack 100 on soulstone, swapping out with mining as needed)
Magery 80 (allows recalls, gates (with failures), and making all magery-related add-ons)
You can find a combination of spellbooks, jewelry and talismans that can get you to 100, or even up to 120 if you waste a 120 magery PS on a crafter.

HOWEVER, note that most crafting involves imbuing or reforging (the latter an imbuing sub-ability) now. With the latter, you start with a base itemof base material, with no bonuses other than what comes from exceptional quality.

With Imbuing, another possible template could be
Imbuing 120
Carp 100
Tinker 100
Smith 70 (minimum for colored BODs), with Ancient hammer +10 used for getting to 80 for carp house add-ons that require it. Higher ASH for making raw items that require higher skill, or enhancing with higher metals (70 smith normally limited to iron, DC and Shadow Iron)
Tailor 100 (enough to work with barbed leather)
Arms Lore 100
Mining 100
(Lumberjack 100 on soulstone, swapping out with mining as needed)
Magery 30 (add +50 to get to 80 for carpentry add-ons from +15 or +20 magery jewelry pieces, spellbooks with +10 to +15, talismans with +5 or +10, etc.)
A spare set of Jewelry and other gear with +Musicianship to get +45 music for making instruments with carpentry

You can have another soulstone with 100 fletching as well.

Merth

Journeyman
Thanks for the reply @Basara what I was thinking is the token lets you pick 5 skills that start at 90 so I was listing the ones I’d like to have (that are tedious to train). I will grab some soulstones eventually as well for swapping skills around. (Wasnt planning on keeping all 5 on at one time) and obviously I need to add imbuing to the list as well, tho I havent seen it before.

wongfae

Visitor
Merth, the Mystic token is best used to boots up those hard training skill, and for all the crafting skill, u can always macro them up to 100 if u have all those resources needed.

Amount those crafting skill, the most resources costing skill is definitely Imbuing, u can search how that should be trained and knowing what i am taking about.
For Carpenter and Fletching, both of them need to use heavy wood board, means u need to reload a lot more time than the other crafting skill, so higher is better for saving time.
Same case as Scribe, getting blank scroll and all the regents are troublesome, high skill recommended. (With EC, its much easier to train if u know how to set those macro.)
While you're buying regents from NPC, Alchemy may also count as crafting skill, and it surely help the training of Posioning. (but these two skill are not in ur list :p )

Fishing is boring and time consuming when training. High Sea pack is needed if u want to train up to 120 (tedious workload to get that Fxxking 120 scroll)
Mining and Lumberjack will be fine with 50 to start with, Tinker is easy and u will need some low skill made locked box to train lock-picking if u didn't have that skill yet, so tinkering is out.
Both Tailor and Smith is no too hard to train up, but if u want to earn your own Ancient hammers through the BOD system, i think starting from 50 is better, as u can train ur skill by filling low BOD.
(p.s BOD works in 8 skills: Smith Carpenter Tailoring Tinkering Fletching Inscription/Scribe Alchemy Cooking )
As the last item in my suggestion, the hardest skill to train in UO and yet still somehow useful is : Begging
Having said that . it's most useful only in every years Halloween, if u are not interested Alchemy or Poisoning, go for Begging

So, these are the skill i recommend for ur mystic token
1. Imbuing
2. Carpenter
3. Fletching
4. Scribe
5. Alchemy / Poisoning ( i will choose Poisoning as training that will lower ur karma, but of cause u can train it with ur Neco, all u need is just a soul stone)
6. Begging (it also lower ur Karma but less than poisoning, and take weeks from 50 to 100 :-( )

hope this can help ^^

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree with the assessments of wongfae, for the most part.

Fletching, though, is much easier than carpentry, as you can do fletching in the elven city of Heartwood located under Yew, buying 30+ skill in Yew, then training up doing the quests ("a simple bow", repeated until you get high enough to craft crossbows, then the "Ingenious Archery" quests (I, II & III, for crossbows, heavy crossbows, and repeaters) over and over until you can make the next form of crossbow) all the way to 100, getting crafting talismans to boost your success chances in all the crafting skills as rewards, and the occasional fletching runic). Doing it that way reduces the "throw-away" factor of the training, as while you actually have a chance of getting a valuable reward from every 10 items crafted. It also tends to use a lot less boards than carp training, if you don't waste time and resources making ML items, sticking to the classic bows and crossbows.

For the token, what I would do would be

A. Base character (since you now get 120 points split between up to 4 skills)
50 Tailor (there's no New Haven Quest, and only can be bought up to about 33.3)
30 Blacksmith
30 Fletching (no New Haven quest, but Heartwood makes it easier than any other skill to train with 0 waste)
10 Magery

B. From Mythic Token
Imbuing
Carpentry
Alchemy
Scribe (but transfer it to a mage with a soulstone, don't waste it on a character that doesn't have 100-120 REAL SKILL magery, as that's what the chance for bonus powers on the book are based on - or Necro real skill or Mystic real skill, crafting those books)
(one other skill of choice, but not for the crafter)

C. After the token.
  1. Move the Scribe to your caster, the other skill to wherever it's going.
  2. Go to New Haven, buy up Blacksmith, Mining, Magery, Tinker to 40. Lumberjack I don't think can be bought past 33.3 either, but buy it as well (Lumberjack can be on any axer, or your crafter if there's not room elsewhere).
  3. AFTER you buy up those skills, get the mining, blacksmith, tinker and magery quests (you can't buy up skills while you have a skill gain quest ongoing, so be sure to buy everything before taking quests).
  4. After you get the mining, blacksmith and tinker to 50 (each has their specific skill gain area in NH), you can go work on the magery quest (where the gain area is killing stuff in Old Haven). IF you can get some Blade Spirit scrolls for the character, it will work better as they can tank while you cast on what they're fighting.
  5. Work up lumberjacking, and when you get 1-3 pack animals full of 1600 boards each (any character with wood-related skills can make boards now using an axe on logs), take the loaded pack animals to Heartwood and do the fletching quests until you run out of boards.
  6. Use the recipes from the quests (junk duplicates), toss the talismans you don't want into the trash, but keep the odd loot you get as rewards in a single bag/pack. Unravel those items to get imbuing resources and possible skill gains.
  7. Work mining higher, and start working smith and tailor up. Do tailor BODs (don't bank) for cloth to train on and 250-use tools. If a BOD is something too low to gain on, it's cheaper to buy stuff off an NPC to fill it than to waste time and cloth to make the items.
  8. About this time is where you'll have to start stoning stuff off to continue training others. Adjust training to match.

Merth

Journeyman
Wow thanks for the details!!! Is there a soul forge in heartwood? Im assuming thats the only thing you can use for unraveling.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No, but there's 3 in the Ter Mur Royal city, 1 of which requires having high loyalty score to the gargoyle queen. It's easy enough to get to them just using public moongates or crystal portals.