• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question of the day: 24 May 2008

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The other evening I went to my first same sex marriage in Ultima online. (though the two brides were out to make a point to the same guy who had disappointed them.) I was wondering about weddings in UO. I know at the last townhall meeting it was brought up that there will be a new computer driven way of getting married, and I was wondering how many players would use it.

So here is your question. Have you ever been married in UO? If so how many times? Or do you consider this one of the more silly things in UO?

Myself I have been married 3 times in game over then years, and I have now a female companion that I spend most of my time with in game, that if given a chance I would marry in a heartbeat. Without her around I am sure I would die lots more in game. So now is everyones chance to tell us what you think of in game weddings and how relationships affect you in game.

B

BartofCats

wow.. .its not bad enough that in the Real world that they get half when they want to, you want to give it to them in the game too?? :)

Seriously tho... im not going to get married in the game. Not even going to consider it.

D

Dixie

I would rather spend my time and energy developing a real relationship with someone, rather than something that in the end, no matter how you look at it, is fake. Maybe people treat real life relationships like this, as fake and temporary......but that is another topic altogether.

Would I get married in UO? Give me a break and throw me a bone, stubby.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would rather spend my time and energy developing a real relationship with someone, rather than something that in the end, no matter how you look at it, is fake. Maybe people treat real life relationships like this, as fake and temporary......but that is another topic altogether.

Would I get married in UO? Give me a break and throw me a bone, stubby.

I would marry the naked lil dixie...but only to get half of her massive estate when she UO divorces me!!!

LOL

Relationships online can be real....I know the friendships I have made with some are very real....and they surpass UO. We care about each other when we are sick...we help each other with problems...we listen..we argue... we laugh and we cry with each other....sounds pretty real to me!

I know I really travelled halfway across the continent to attend Southern's and Kuro's wedding with many others....I know I really enjoyed the better part of the week I spent with everyone else that came as well. I know most of these people are really my friends...even if we don't talk daily.

Things are only fake if the feelings and emotions you invest in them are fake! If your intentions are genuine and your feelings are as well...then the relationships you form can be just as real!

That being said....No, for me UO marriage is silly....but no sillier then I think alot of real life marriages are! ( but that might have something to do with why I have never been and prolly never will marry)

:)

TW

Setanta

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, I would not consider it. If I ever think of such a thing, I'll just go find some female char that I can't stand and give her my house and all my cash.

AnneNomilly

Sage
Professional
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I've been married once in game to my, now, real life hubby. When we decided to tie the knot in the real world, we wanted to celebrate with our friends in the virtual one as well. And some actually came to BOTH!

Other than that, no. I've had a few in game proposals over the years but, to be honest, I just never quite understood the "role playing" aspects of it and I couldn't imagine being "married" to someone I had no real life relationship with. And the ones in game I DO have real life relationships with are friends. The whole thing just seemed a bit odd to me.

I mean why mess up a perfectly good friendship when the virtual marriage goes wrong? Who gets the kids? Community property? Mutual friends? LOL To be honest, I already did that in the real world. No desire to do it in the virtual one as well. :)

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Have you ever been married in UO? Yes, I started playing this game with my hubby irl and we thought it would be cute to renew our vows in game.

If so how many times? 1

Or do you consider this one of the more silly things in UO? I think it can be silly yes. I don't see myself promising my life to someone I have never met but to each their own.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you ever been married in UO? Yes
If so how many times? 2, I think. The same person on 2 shards.
Or do you consider this one of the more silly things in UO?

Yes, in game weddings are silly. Unless they're part of a story or a character's life (which is completely separated from real life in my opinion), weddings have no place on line.

D

Duncan McDermott

I have no interest is taking the game to that level. To me the game is about alter egos. My RL character is married, being married in the game would be redundant.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So here is your question. Have you ever been married in UO? If so how many times? Or do you consider this one of the more silly things in UO?
I was married once, back in 1999. A real pirate wedding, har har!

T'was a pretty wench, but unfortunately it didn't work out. She couldn't cope with me pirate life-style, methinks. Unfortunately, we lost track of each other. Haven't seen her in many years.

That being said...
It is a silly thing, and it is a pure roleplaying thing. I only can recommend to everyone to try out things in UO that technically do not make sense at all. They can be a lot of fun! I don't mix up UO relationship with real ones. (However, there are a few people who I got to know in UO and became real friends.) It is a game, and in the end, everything you do in a game is void. Trying out other things than just slaying monsters can really be exciting and fun! Actually, to my experience, the more you detach yourself from the technical aspects of the game (skill, loot, equipment, items), the more fun it is.
I think my UO wife left the game long ago. Alas! She was a nice person. A little bitchy, but nice, hehe.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*smiles* I have been married only once in UO, was to the man I am now married to IRL. We celebrated the relationship that started in UO with those close to us in our virtual world. I however have conducted several weddings in UO and would love to have a system in place to facilitate that and make it more special for others.