• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question for the really Old Players

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Does anyone have any idea what these things once were for?

I have seen them in Fel in both Tram and Britain on many shards... and they just say "Wooden Sign"... Seems odd... Anyone got any idea? Anyone remember?

Attachments

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not sure either. They've been there as long as I can remember. Early global event stuff, like the FoA quests, would be my best guess.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does anyone have any idea what these things once were for?

I have seen them in Fel in both Tram and Britain on many shards... and they just say "Wooden Sign"... Seems odd... Anyone got any idea? Anyone remember?
Where that barrel is is where the True Brit Stone was
1626288051465.png

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just remember them for the faction TB there only on fel side on ATL. its been close to 18 years since I steeped foot into the faction system left it in 2003. I do think they held names at one point of the top TB players 1 to 3 but that time is fogy for me.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I just remember them for the faction TB there only on fel side on ATL. its been close to 18 years since I steeped foot into the faction system left it in 2003. I do think they held names at one point of the top TB players 1 to 3 but that time is fogy for me.

Now that sounds more like something that perhaps could have been.

Someone said they thought it was some sort of memorial to characters like Jaana or something but I wasn't so sure on that... the fact they are blank now seems more logical if they were tied to the factions.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
View attachment 120786
Thank you for the image that helps a lot.

I've been working on my study of all the shards and Unique Deco and I'll say it's getting more and more bizarre and interesting as I go... Brit is taking me forever to document though...

I really should try writing up some of my findings and such when I finish towns... but there is a lot of ground yet to cover in my survey... and I feel my time is limited somewhat ... But I'll try to write up something at some point... Some shards are very "dull" while others have been amazing to visit and see... There is a lot left to check out though... and I'm trying to be a thorough as possible. I'm sure I've missed a few items here and there... sometimes it's hard to catch every tiny difference.

I have noted some oddities that exist on ALL shards though... Like someone while creating and designing the shards was cutting corners quite literally... and shamefully right in Castle British even! If you travel to the bedrooms in the North part of the castle you'll find that all the carpet you can't see without the CoT is simply NOT there... Sad. You would think they could do better... it is Lord British's Castle! The Conservatory has the same issue with some of its carpets... and for some unknown reason, a bit of its carpet has found its way out back behind the building on the NE side... there on the ground is 1square of blue flower carpet. Also if you are in the Sweet Dreams Inn upstairs in the NW corner you can see into some of the buildings from there... and there are oddities. I'll leave it at that. But it's something I've noticed in several places. Not sure how I've missed that all these years... but I have.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Didn't they used to have True Brit Faction info on them?
Now that sounds more like something that perhaps could have been.

Someone said they thought it was some sort of memorial to characters like Jaana or something but I wasn't so sure on that... the fact they are blank now seems more logical if they were tied to the factions.
Am pretty sure thinking back on it that it was either top player 1 to 3 or top guilds in TB faction. check the other strongholds and see if they are there as well. if they have the same set up then that is what it was for. only a real old faction player would most likely remember.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My husband who's played since beta says he remembers them having to do with factions as well.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where that barrel is is where the True Brit Stone was.
View attachment 120786
I think the stone was not in the same spot on the shards I remember TB was in Lord Brits castle not on the outside. and if only you could move that up a little bit and target the sign lol

Maybe post on the other forums here with the custom shards they still use faction system of old.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the stone was not in the same spot on the shards I remember TB was in Lord Brits castle not on the outside. and if only you could move that up a little bit and target the sign lol

Maybe post on the other forums here with the custom shards they still use faction system of old.
Each faction had a sign up stone outside of their respective bases. There was a different stone inside, along with the sigil stands. The one inside was used for setting tithe rates and commanding lord voting.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1626311764773.png this might have something to do with it as well. 3 signs 3 leadership spots.

Each faction had a sign up stone outside of their respective bases. There was a different stone inside, along with the sigil stands. The one inside was used for setting tithe rates and commanding lord voting.
like I said before I stepped away from factions in 2003 when I left the game. and they where my party years. So don't remember a lot from back then.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

View attachment 120786
Look at the picture I posted and go read the links I also posted.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
those were put up at the end of a global event and never taken down - they used to say stupid stuff about some of the NPCs in the event - I don't think they ever had anything to do with factions - could definitely be wrong though

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
those were put up at the end of a global event and never taken down - they used to say stupid stuff about some of the NPCs in the event - I don't think they ever had anything to do with factions - could definitely be wrong though

That's what one of my friends thought...
I wish I knew what they said...

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What Global Events were held back then? Those signs were there at the same time as Factions as per the picture shows.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What Global Events were held back then? Those signs were there at the same time as Factions as per the picture shows.
Certain seer storylines were held game-wide, as evidenced by multiple copies of certain seer items (see Syrem's Razor). The Followers of Armageddon seer chain was held gamewide, as was Jou'nar's invasion of Trinsic (visit the roof of the Trinsic Town Hall on Atlantic Fel to see leftovers from that event).

Then came the scenarios around LBR. The Arcane Gem/Robe thing with the controllers and gargoyles, and the event where they built Nystul's tower outside of Castle British.

The original EM quests were the same across all/most shards, at least in season 1; not sure about afterward. The whole "Lord British goes into the void" thing was done on every shard too.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have screenshots of British leaving.. Pretty sure they did that on every shard... as well as Blackthorn's funeral...
I recall many global events ... invasions of many kinds.

There are things I've been noticing on many shards like the Trinsic thing that are on many shards... go visit the Paladins isle in the Trinsic and see the scattered junk all over from some long-forgotten event... it's on most shards. I believe UO guide lists the first 4 then the 16 that shortly followed... considered the "original" ones... I was thinking there were a few I found to be very "Vanilla" in respect to Fel... well that's because they had a Fel but Trammel already existed before they did so yes... their Fel is very Vanilla because no one really was ever there to fall in love with it.

Sad no one remembers what the signs said, or the event that led to their placement. Pity.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've played since the beginning but sometimes those types of details often go overlooked. I've never actually clicked on every single sign I see. I know many towns like the back of my hand (playin since 97) but to this day I barely know Nujelm and have no idea where the shops are. Some people get lost in whatever activity they are doing to take in the minute details... guess it could be seen as a good or bad thing.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think one of the signs said Halston Montil - might have had something to do with the followers of armageddon event

Mr Bug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone remember those signs being tied to the bounty board system and having the names of the top 3 most wanted on them? Or am I remembering it wrong?

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anyone remember those signs being tied to the bounty board system and having the names of the top 3 most wanted on them? Or am I remembering it wrong?
I am pretty sure there where names or guilds on them like I stated in other posts. There only on the Fel side on ATL. and the bounty system has been gone what 20 years now,

Maybe email Mesanna and the other devs they should be able to look into what they where used for.