• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tech Help] Question for developers re: packet loss and the new client

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi!

Just a question I had, may not be for the dev team, but they could definately direct my question to the right people. I will try to word this as best I can.

Basically, in the existing client, I am able to drop a few packets here and there and still stay connected to UO. However, in the SA client, it appears that more than two packets dropped in the span of five I get "connection lost". Is this something that was tweaked to decrease latency? I can see it helping, however people with flaky internet connections could potentially have a problem with this.

For those who need an explanation, do this. Click the start button, and click run (for vista users just type in the search bar at the bottom of the start menu) In the run window type cmd and press enter. This will bring up a command prompt window. Copy and paste the following into the window:

ping -t 4.2.2.2

This will start a continuous ping to a public server at microsoft with good response time. You should see no interruption, or "request timed out" message, unless you are behind a firewall that prohibits ping.

The replies you get are what I am referring to as packets.