• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question for all you posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UltimaSword

My brother says if you can't pvp than you can't play UO.

Is this statement true or false?

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

False.

If you can't PvP, then you can't play one of many aspects of UO, but it doesn't mean you do not know how to play UO as a whole.

Such a statement is one of extreme myopic ignorance.

A

Atlantian

Not true. That depends on who you talk to. You don't have to have to pvp to play. Many people play this game and never pvp or pvm. So it's totally up to who you talk to.

D

D'Amavir

False. I can't pvp my way out of a wet paper sack even if someone put a blade in my hand. Hasn't stopped me from playing for a long time now.

Granted, I used to be able to pvp quite well. But, I stopped doing that when it became too item based for me and focused more on % of this or that than in game crafters. I miss that dude that used to live right outside the Yew graveyard that played a crafter. This was long before vendors and he had a steady flow of business in and out of his little shop house. Item properties, runics and repair deeds killed that aspect of the game for most people.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No.

PvP is something you can do in-game. So is crafting, so is bank-sitting, so is role-playing.

I am close to 100% positive, however, that someone who adheres to this opinion will never not adhere to it.

-Galen's player

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

false

if you want to be the best you can pick any aspect of UO. you can be the best player to never leave haven if you really want to.

best pvp'er or best merchant probably holds the most weight in-game.

killing monsters and skill gain are the easiest part of the game because both are totally predictable.

there's nothing easier than training skill, or doing a champ or peerless.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron

False, we have players on Siege who can't PvP. UO is not only about PvP, some run great shops, some will do PvM to sell great items for PvP.
We need all kind of players.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
False, we have players on Siege who can't PvP. UO is not only about PvP, some run great shops, some will do PvM to sell great items for PvP.
We need all kind of players.
correction: you have to dupe val hammers to sell great items for pvp

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
correction: you have to dupe val hammers to sell great items for pvp
Most dupes do not work on Siege and you can make ok items for PvP with less than a val hammer.
Selling PvP items for mills just don't works on Siege as the players only can bless one item, everything can be lost very fast, so a cheap but ok item is a better choice.
Still some do run around as a wandering treasure chest and can affort losing the items.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nonsense.
PvP is one tiny aspect of this big game. You could play UO for years without fighting a single player, and still have lots of fun.

A

Atlantian

Mining and lumberjacking is also loads of endless fun! But seriously, I played for 3 years before I had my first encounter with a "red" and that was fun! I didn't know a thing about felluca back in the day. Jeez! I been playing longer than I thought!

stupidtram

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Totally true.

Sure, there's tons of things 'to do' in UO. But if u can't pvp, you suck at it.

Pvp is the only aspect that requires any thought or skill, as your enemy can think and react completely different to what you expect. Where as when u pvm, the mobs can't think and are very predictable. And pvp is the only challenging and interesting aspect of uo - no newbs mining ingots is for scripts not people - to this day i am puzzled as to what u newbs find entertaining, you really must be a simple bunch.

Only people with quick reflexes with the ability to change their tactics at an instance who can also observe what other people are doing/casting are successful at pvp. Although you newbs seem to think everyone hacks, which is far from the case, the only one used really is speedhack... still not that big of an issue, just annouying. All those medic scripts or whatever jargon u claim aren't used, nor are they effective.

Trams need to think before opening their mouths i.e in the last week alone my guild has been accused of "3fc hack" on our mages (wtf? lol), and a new personal favourite of a guard zone hack, whereby we can heal our red members in guards and not get wacked - LOLLOLOLOLOL. Trust me nubs, we nor the majority of pvpers use anything but OUR MINDS (besides newbie archers and warriors), maybe our superior intelligence can be considered hacks?

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Totally true.

Sure, there's tons of things 'to do' in UO. But if u can't pvp, you suck at it.

Pvp is the only aspect that requires any thought or skill, as your enemy can think and react completely different to what you expect. Where as when u pvm, the mobs can't think and are very predictable. And pvp is the only challenging and interesting aspect of uo - no newbs mining ingots is for scripts not people - to this day i am puzzled as to what u newbs find entertaining, you really must be a simple bunch.

Only people with quick reflexes with the ability to change their tactics at an instance who can also observe what other people are doing/casting are successful at pvp. Although you newbs seem to think everyone hacks, which is far from the case, the only one used really is speedhack... still not that big of an issue, just annouying. All those medic scripts or whatever jargon u claim aren't used, nor are they effective.

Trams need to think before opening their mouths i.e in the last week alone my guild has been accused of "3fc hack" on our mages (wtf? lol), and a new personal favourite of a guard zone hack, whereby we can heal our red members in guards and not get wacked - LOLLOLOLOLOL. Trust me nubs, we nor the majority of pvpers use anything but OUR MINDS (besides newbie archers and warriors), maybe our superior intelligence can be considered hacks?
:drama:

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FALSE

Note that Ultima Online is not a PVP Game, and calling it would be selling it a bit short. Ultima Online offers a world without PvP for those who don't enjoy it, even if you play in Felucca. Especially on Siege Perilous, think of Ultima Online as a game where there are no restrictions to player interaction that don't make sense, and when you give it a chance, you'll discover that UO is a extremely well rounded game. Although I would like if Utlima Online provided us with the platform and the tools to engage in grand activities such as kingdom building, politics, strategy, diplomacy, combat, warfare, conquest, and racial wars, etc... Instead of just playing tag at Yew, Felucca..

V

Vareck

It sounds like your brother says that if you can't pvp then you're not the best in the game.... because tons of people can play the game without doing pvp... as we can see every day in trammel.

I would also ask your brother, what incredible things has he done in PvE that are considered "incredible?" And, does he have the ability to do those things also?

Is he just a pvp man or can he pve? So, I would define being the "best" at UO as having the "complete package" and not just being one dimensional.

So, if all your brother can do is just pvp and sux and pve, I would say he can play... But, he's just not the best in the game.

stupidtram

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is he just a pvp man or can he pve?
If you can pvp well, you can pvm well. Good pvpers can think logically, thus pvm is simple and boring.

(When i say good pvper, i mean a mage who can take on mulitple newbs - not some scrub who house hides or gz hugs).

D

D'Amavir

If you can pvp well, you can pvm well. Good pvpers can think logically, thus pvm is simple and boring.

(When i say good pvper, i mean a mage who can take on mulitple newbs - not some scrub who house hides or gz hugs).

Yes because taking on newbs is the true definition of good.

S

Simon Francis

PvP is the most difficult playstyle, fewer players prefer the challenge of an opponent with similar intelligence. Majority of players enjoy everything besides pvp though.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Pvp is the only aspect that requires any thought or skill
You mispelled ZERO (at least in relation to shards that aren't Siege).

Role-playing requires thought and personal skill.

PvM (or as some call it, PvE) requies knowledge of what you can and cannot handle, and strategy.

Even crafting requires forethought on having the materials at hand, choosing the right items to make out of the right materials, and with the right runic tools.

On normal shards, PvP is mindless violence for violence's sake, unless in a controlled setting such as a duel. All it requires on non-SP shards is uber equipment and a maximum IQ of 90.

On the other hand, SP PvP actually requires thought and knowing ones' enemy, not to mention knowing what equipment you should or shouldn't risk losing on the field of battle.

I have tons of respect for the PvPers of Siege. I even respect those who play normal shards, that have spent time in the SP environment, or try to PvP in the Siege style on a normal shard.

But the rest, that would never show their face on SP because they'd have to use skill instead of leet gear and hacks, I consider to be about on the same moral level as my next door neighbor that's on a public list of people who can't live within a certain distance from certain public institutions.

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PvP is the most difficult playstyle, fewer players prefer the challenge of an opponent with similar intelligence. Majority of players enjoy everything besides pvp though.
I agree.

PvP is the most difficult. There are also many other things to do in game.

:fight:

stupidtram

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah that's a huge problem with UO, it's become so trammified (people who hate anything challenging) that the beauty of the game is being destroyed - to WOW/AOC lvs.

One of the problems with the 'tram way' of thinking is that it's cyclical, i.e new players come to UO, they are recruited by nub guilds seeking companionship/social interaction. These nub guilds tell the new players of the 'evil' of felucca and the 'cheats' rampid. When in actual fact, the 'evil' and 'cheats' don't really exist, but are merely the views of disgruntled veteran trammies who after 11 years of UO, still get a kick out of gardening or killing a lich for no point or purpose and think because they've been on uo since beta, that their lame boring view's must be correct.

Then again look why the general 'trammer' hates a challenge... they are usually socially starved, and have little or no ambitions RL. Challenges such as college/finishing school/money and relationships are too much for them IRL, so like their gaming, they like it simple with no challenges in their way, thus they sit in tram and drink ale with each other, making up stories about cheats etc, until they actually begin to believe it themsevles - get a life trams.

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah that's a huge problem with UO, it's become so trammified (people who hate anything challenging) that the beauty of the game is being destroyed - to WOW/AOC lvs.

One of the problems with the 'tram way' of thinking is that it's cyclical, i.e new players come to UO, they are recruited by nub guilds seeking companionship/social interaction. These nub guilds tell the new players of the 'evil' of felucca and the 'cheats' rampid. When in actual fact, the 'evil' and 'cheats' don't really exist, but are merely the views of disgruntled veteran trammies who after 11 years of UO, still get a kick out of gardening or killing a lich for no point or purpose and think because they've been on uo since beta, that their lame boring view's must be correct.

Then again look why the general 'trammer' hates a challenge... they are usually socially starved, and have little or no ambitions RL. Challenges such as college/finishing school/money and relationships are too much for them IRL, so like their gaming, they like it simple with no challenges in their way, thus they sit in tram and drink ale with each other, making up stories about cheats etc, until they actually begin to believe it themsevles - get a life trams.
Come to Siege. It's much better here. Or... continue to play Unreal Tournament style PvP on other shards. Honestly, it sounds like you're getting a little bored on Oceania.

:grouphug:

stupidtram

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On normal shards, PvP is mindless violence for violence's sake, unless in a controlled setting such as a duel. All it requires on non-SP shards is uber equipment and a maximum IQ of 90.

On the other hand, SP PvP actually requires thought and knowing ones' enemy, not to mention knowing what equipment you should or shouldn't risk losing on the field of battle.

I have tons of respect for the PvPers of Siege. I even respect those who play normal shards, that have spent time in the SP environment, or try to PvP in the Siege style on a normal shard.

But the rest, that would never show their face on SP because they'd have to use skill instead of leet gear and hacks, I consider to be about on the same moral level as my next door neighbor that's on a public list of people who can't live within a certain distance from certain public institutions.
Siege pvp is for people without reflexes or a brain, if u like no insurance go play UOGamers. AOS pvp requires tons of skill, WAY MORE than it did pre aos. AOS is much faster pvp, and reaction times play a much more critical role. The pvp also offers much more variety.

I disagree with uber gear in group fighting, unless your a dexer(which requires 0 skill, but knowing when to bolt). BUT my guild all plays mages, i have some pretty nice gear (not lrc though), but it's not elite as all my items are pre duped val hammers, so it consist's of now average brk ar. I play a red scribe tank mage (70 med 70 tact 100 scribe 120 wep skill), but tell u the truth all i really need is 45 dci and wrestling when fighting in a group and i could still continue to own.

To put a suit together that is corpse proof and has 45 dci with wrestling is so easy, therefore meaning u do not need uber items. AOS like pre AOS is all about how well u fight as a group: x healing, snycing etc, it's not hard, just perceived to be hard now as the playerbase is now reduced heavily of pvpers, and increased with disabled trammies.

T

Thrand Graywolf

False.

UO is the only game I know of where you really don't have to engage in combat at all for certain crafter types if you don't want to.

T

thenow

You are beginning to sound more like a feluccup than a true feluccan.

Have a read of his previous posts and his bro's.
Feluccup is an understatement. As he has stated and many of his 'friends' , cheating is a 'good' thing and is fun, Just the same as their greifing of all things from events to hassling individuals constantly, to causing the shard to drop out.
On oceania forums I told them to take their 'points' of view to the public domain and see how they are recieved.I'm glad he has.
I noticed he anticipated ppl's response by say that 99% ppl here are losers[ thats what he n his bro think about ppl in the whole world.Which you can read if you read his previous posts]. Not to mention the amount of times he has been banned from these forums[ip address work around].
Anyway, as I said I'm glad he has brought his 'truth' to the public domain.

To answer the original question. False. I have enough intelligence to know that the greatness of this game comes from its variety and broadness. There are many ways to play this game and thats one of the reasons why UO is still going after 10yrs. Cheats and cheating will be the only destruction of this game.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I say false to this one...

I do feel that if you are good at both (pvp and pvm) then you are a batter player for it.

(I admit...there are more sides to the game than just those two...several others to be "good at"...these are just the two biggies in my book of UO)

M

Mitzlplik_SP

TOTALY false. I was stuck with 56k from UO`s launch till last July when I finally got cable internet. Best times in any game in my memories were spent in UO,even though I could not compete in PvP,there was still so much to keep me occupied the lack of PvP really wasn`t a big factor for me.

I still had a SP char and a red and a thief on Pac.While I didn`t do great,I did manage to get a perma red and lots of stolen goods.

I`d take your brothers statement with a grain of salt.

E

Eslake

The answer depends on whether or not it is a trick question. ;)
Induction or Deduction?

Since UO allows you to PvP, the only way you realy "Can't" PvP is by not playing. <- answer to the trick question.

But obviously you can play and enjoy UO without PvPing at all. Most do.

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you can't PvP even if you tried and fail to grasp even the basics including making a proper suit or what a good weapon should have or what is gimp, you aren't useless in Ultima at all. You can PvM, craft, socialize, grow plants.

However you also aren't in a position to talk about things you know jack about. :loser:

And I say this because some people have gone from one extreme to the other, being completely clueless about PvP and yet coming here offering advice, trash-talking, theorizing, whining about changes and additions proposed to balance PvP.

Status
Not open for further replies.