• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question about using jewelry to boost skills

tombomb84

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I was wondering if using jewelry to get to 120 skill is the same as being 120 skill naturally? Like is there any downfall of using jewels to get to 120? The skills in particular are Magery, Evaluate Intelligence, Focus, Mysticism, Taming, Lore, Vet. The only thing that might matter using jewels is pet control?

Please let me know your thoughts and input! I appreciate any help with this question.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For pets yes there is a potential problem, when you die make damn sure you re-equip your items that have your tame and lore or you may not have the need skill level to command a pet. I see a lot of players after getting saying all guard me before they have the skill level to do so.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Beware being discorded if for pvp. I woukd push for taming and lore to at least 115 each if thats the case.

If pvm, just choose targets carefully.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The calculations on skill are both the same on real skill and jeweled skill... the only place it makes a difference is in the Masteries and special moves on warriors... which is why I have many temps I run that have 800-820+ used skill points on.

Sure, not having jewls on when calling pets etc used to be a huge pita, but since autodress is now available as even a CC macro it is no longer an issue. Time you rez you can be totally suited up in a millisecond and calling the pet to you.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Beware being discorded if for pvp. I woukd push for taming and lore to at least 115 each if thats the case.

If pvm, just choose targets carefully.
Yep, someone lost a Bane Dragon on Atlantic at Yew Gate the other week because he was relying on +Skill Jewelry, and he got Discorded and kept stupidly giving commands to his Bane Dragon until it went wild. Fully 120 PSed too.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Yep, someone lost a Bane Dragon on Atlantic at Yew Gate the other week because he was relying on +Skill Jewelry, and he got Discorded and kept stupidly giving commands to his Bane Dragon until it went wild. Fully 120 PSed too.
That same thing would have happened with normal skill to though. I mean it's not like it wipes away the skill jelws and then the Disco amount.. just merely wipes off the Disco skill.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The calculations on skill are both the same on real skill and jeweled skill... the only place it makes a difference is in the Masteries and special moves on warriors... which is why I have many temps I run that have 800-820+ used skill points on.

Sure, not having jewls on when calling pets etc used to be a huge pita, but since autodress is now available as even a CC macro it is no longer an issue. Time you rez you can be totally suited up in a millisecond and calling the pet to you.
You are right about auto dress but I still see Tames commanding pets after death before they get dressed. All Follow Me All Guard Me is the first thing I see which is usually followed by growling.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
You are right about auto dress but I still see Tames commanding pets after death before they get dressed. All Follow Me All Guard Me is the first thing I see which is usually followed by growling.
Definitely gotta hit that dress macro first.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That same thing would have happened with normal skill to though. I mean it's not like it wipes away the skill jelws and then the Disco amount.. just merely wipes off the Disco skill.
He was using +Taming/Lore gear to command his Bane Dragon. He was spammed with Discord in PvP, which removed his +Skill bonus, and he stupidly kept trying to command his Bane until it went wild.