• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question about tracking

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not sure if am in the Right Forum but i am creating a char mainly to detect hidden Players and tracking them.

GM detect hidden seems to be a must but what About tracking?? Is it a waste of skill Points to have gm tracking?

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
unfortunately tracking is a bit of a broken skill. What I mean by that is that it is very unreliable. Even at GM tracking you will fail to track people standing right next to you who only run 100 hiding and 75 stealth. To make things worse tracking only trains to GM while stealth trains to 120 and being an elf makes it even harder to be tracked. Then there are ninjitsu's animal forms which require you to track for "animals" instead of "players" and even if you then succeed in tracking someone it doesn't show their name, just the name of the animal form they're in. So if you have more than one person in animal form it becomes pretty difficult to pick the right white tiger, grey wolf or whatever form they're in.
It's really one of those skills the devs should take a close look at to fix it.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While arguably flawed, tracking is key for locating folks that don’t wanna be found. Even with the inherent fails, usually within mins your able to negate surprises, find protectors (often AFK 2nd accounts) at Fel spawns, and find/follow/finish off unwanted observers. Anywhere in Fel this is a huge bonus for any team play.

***Edit***
Keep in mind some folks run necro stealth to negate the “push through” message so tracking monsters shouldn’t be overlooked. If u track a wraith at a rat spawn u know someone’s afoot.

Last edited:

Delores D

Journeyman
When it works it can be a lot of fun. There can be a group of us and one pk. If you can get a track on him or her you can follow them and have your group following behind. It is especially fun when they are still hidden and so are you and you are on a map that shows where everyone is.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Detect Hidden" works for anyone connected to a house... to see if someone not connected is creeping around. Zero skill needed.

Not sure why you would need to GM Detect Hidden... because of "Tracking". Tracking works in the field to see hidden players OR monsters. Not sure why a monster would hide... but its on the options when you use the skill.

Not sure why people say its a broken skill... because mine works just fine. I used it just last night. :)

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been thinking about it.

Detect hidden is almost useless in the field... outside Fel, I'm thinking. I think you would need both skills for this type hunter. Tracking... to find a stealthier moving to attack you... Detect Hidden to expose them, so you can attack/kill them. Not that I really know PVP. Its just, running stealthers for 16 out of the 18 years of playing... if a monster causes you to become visible, you can quickly re-hide before they can attack you.

I remember, a few years ago, it was a big stink about thieves hanging around houses, harassing owners, looking for those people doing decorating... hoping they can steal something valuable before the owner could lock that item down. I'm thinking thats why anyone can use "Detect Hidden", even at 0.0 skill. However, this was long before "Wind Chimes". :) When we got Wind Chimes (I'm thinking ML), you could keep one at entry points to your house to allow you to hear something... or someone... coming in, mounted or stealthed.

Even right now, I have a vendor owner that always recalls in unmounted and instantly hides... and I hear Wind Chimes as he stealths. Drives me a bit buggy, but whatever. I always do a simple Detect Hidden when decorating. These "noise-maker" monster statues? Its just not as attention getting to use as warning someone is near by. The world is just too full of these type noises... so I'm thinking thats why they aren't as attention-getting as the chimes are. Until they make a statue of an explosion! hehe

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If the purpose of your character is strictly to seek out hidden characters in Fel, then tracking would be a boon. However, I know of no real applications for it in a Trammel setting. Maybe tracking/revealing the shadow knights in Doom? That definitely wouldn't be worth the skill points. You can track players in Tram but detect hidden will not reveal them so I assume this is a Fel template.

I run tracking and detect on my Fel thief to find hidden protectors and also to generally harass the pvp guilds doing spawns.

Nukeworker

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
'thanks for the info guys. Well i basically want my "protector" char to have DH and tracking while my "main" does a fel champ

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
'thanks for the info guys. Well i basically want my "protector" char to have DH and tracking while my "main" does a fel champ
I would take tracking then if you are able to fit it on the template, you'll get plenty of use out of it.