• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Begging] Question about Sake & Turnips

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like most other beggers, I am on the hunt for the ever elusive turnip and sake. But I've yet to see one (But I've got bread and water coming out the wahzoo). My question is this: Is it totally random what item will drop or does skill play some part in it? I know skill is directly related to success, but what about items? Any link there?

PS- Anyone else think we need a 'begging weapon' for training? Like a gnarled staff that drops begging by 10-29 points when equipped, Like a mage weapon.

L

Lord Drakelord

Like most other beggers, I am on the hunt for the ever elusive turnip and sake. But I've yet to see one (But I've got bread and water coming out the wahzoo). My question is this: Is it totally random what item will drop or does skill play some part in it? I know skill is directly related to success, but what about items? Any link there?

PS- Anyone else think we need a 'begging weapon' for training? Like a gnarled staff that drops begging by 10-29 points when equipped, Like a mage weapon.

As far as I can see its random, the turnip and sake I got out of the blue, shocked me as I had never seen them myself except pictures posted here at stratics. Right now I am trying for the empty bottle. Its funny but most of my good ones I got at the Mage tower on Sonoma from the creatures NPCs after running thru the elf city. The other day I got the plate of cookies from the mongbat banker.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You know what they say..."beggars can't be choosers". I had 4 turnips and 2 sakes by the time I got all the possible rare items. The fishing pole and the empty bottle were the last 2 on my wish list.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm fairly new to the profession, but I have a special place in my heart for what others would call 'useless' skills. That's what inspired me to create my Chef/Beggar/Fisherman/Lumberjack/Herder. So far I've only completed the Chef part, but I'm about 80 on lumberjack, and decided it was time to take a break and work on something else for a change. Playing a bum sounded like fun for a change of pace.

W

Warrior of Time

Skill does pay a part in if you can get a turnip or sake. You must first have enough skill to start getting level 3 items. A level 3 item will come about 1 % of the time. To get the exact one you want is slimer yet. The higher the skill (closer to GM) the less likely you will get level 1 items higher to get a level 3. Don't expect not to get bread and water. Just not as often. Just like the rest of the levels it is random.

There is a list of useless skills.

http://www.uoguide.com/Useless_Skill

B

Beastmaster

Its funny but most of my good ones I got at the Mage tower on Sonoma from the creatures NPCs after running thru the elf city. The other day I got the plate of cookies from the mongbat banker.
You lost me with this. Where are these places/npcs?

W

Warrior of Time

And at what skill are you able to get level 3 items?

I think the pitcher of wine starts first. Not sure but I think it will start at 85. Adding one item to the list as you go up in begging skill. I don't remember exactly since I GMed begging about a 1 1/2 ago.

Changes have been made since then.

Feb 19th 2007 there was only one direction for the garland. Art showed as being horizontal only. Seems it has been changed.

L

Lunaticus

I just (as in this very minute) got my first turnip! I'm on the hunt for the sake now! :thumbup:

W

Warrior of Time

That's wonderful. How much skill have you got. I am sure others want to know.

L

Lunaticus

I have GM skill, however, I did get a flower garland (another level 3 according to UOGuide) when I very first started training. I had to be under 75 when I did, so I think there has to be a chance (however small) to get the really rare items at any skill level.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have GM skill, however, I did get a flower garland (another level 3 according to UOGuide) when I very first started training. I had to be under 75 when I did, so I think there has to be a chance (however small) to get the really rare items at any skill level.
Yes, there is a chance. I just checked UO guide and found that the plate of cookies are considered a level 3 item, and I have gotten one myself, and I'm not even at 60 skill yet. Sounds like luck of the draw to me.

B

Beastmaster

I got:
Sake at 72.0
Turnip at 65.6
Flower garland 60.2
Pitcher of wine 45.9
Bottle of wine 73.6
Fishing pole 72.5
fish steak 65.2
plate of cookies 55.4
bedroll 62.2

I think the whole levels thing is way off. I posted stats showing the "rarity" of items, and I think they probably better illustrate any levels that may exist.

W

Warrior of Time

Well all I know is there was 5 levels at the start of ML now there are 3.
(Same items)
Pizza once said cheese pizza.
Garland only had 1 art. Ones I placed in the bank then are now turned like \\\ I never seen one turned till something in here was said.
Lord only knows what else was changed, and what the effect was.
They have trouble fixing things in UO now. Begging may be low on the list ot things to check out.

B

Beastmaster

What makes you think there are 3 levels now instead of 5? Is it just because you read something on UOGuide or here or some other website? Unless the Devs said it was so, its all just speculation on our part.

W

Warrior of Time

After ML came out and the items was put into lists like the one you seen that now show up as 3 list. For some reason the list was made into 3 list. The same items just listed diff.

About the same time the word cheese was removed from the pizza. I have no idea why they did that one.

For a while changes was being made to begging wording and names was changed just about once a week. The last change was made this year. When ML came out and people thought they could get special scrolls by begging a lot of people started begging. Scrolls are nither on the list or even possable.

The web page I posted is the finished product from all the changes. For a long time the changes was just a long line of we will say befor and after in the lines of post beta changes.

The items was as you could say was cast in stone. (Except the scrolls) Since then they have made the garland in a right and left. Another change. Just no longer listed since the list only goes back to Jan. this year.

Here is an example of how the changes looked

http://www.uoguide.com/index.php?title=Begging&action=history

http://www.uoguide.com/index.php?title=Begging&diff=12142&oldid=4552

The area in green is the part changed.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm ready for some new items. I wish they would have kept the glass mugs but to many rares collectors complained. I have a glass mug but I didn't mind it being a begging item since it wasn't named the same.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like a few more items as well. I haven't even completed my set (or come close yet), but a little more variety would be nice. I am so sick of getting bread and water.

Curious, does Karama play any role in the level of items you get from begging, or is it only skill based?

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like a few more items as well. I haven't even completed my set (or come close yet), but a little more variety would be nice. I am so sick of getting bread and water.

Curious, does Karama play any role in the level of items you get from begging, or is it only skill based?

As far as I know karma doesn't play a role. I have at least one of everything now and my karma is low.

B

Beastmaster

My beggar is and has been throughout, Upstanding, which I think is 1 level above neutral karma. As for skill level, I don't think it matters at all. I think I had gotten every item before I even hit 75 skill.

W

Warrior of Time

What I would like is for the items to be diff. enough that there is no longer a need to tell people that this one a beggar got. I know the cookies are diff. I don't want there to be any confusion about a begged item and one from any other way.

Cookies for the most part are cookies. Gingerbread cookies mixed in with the oters just make people sick of cookies. I have been saveing my cookies just to see how many I got at Christmas time. I have 93 and still counting. Once I see the total I will toss them.

Empty wine bottle is diffrent. You drink the wine the bottle is gone. I do think the name needs to be changed to an empty wine bottle. Rather than a wine bottle [Empty]

A plain shirt can be made by a tailor. Who would look twice if they see one on or off the doll to see if it was tailor made or not.

I know that bread and water drives us all nuts, But you need something to keep us from getting something good every beg. Diffrent art and name would make the things uniqie.
Then if someone asked for they you could have then 2 or 3 k of them. Diff yup, one of a kind nope. They have a few just to prove it. We are diffrent. so should the things we get. I never see val hammers given to a tailor saying Tailor made.