• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question about NPC pricing and FoF

R

Return2UO

In this weeks FoF, Jeremy mentioned the following.

Commodity item prices changed so that the sell price is never greater than the base price, and the buy price never drops below the base price

What this means is that vendors now have a "base price" for commodities - they won't sell those items for less than that base, nor will they buy the items from players for more. Prices will still fluctuate depending on how many of those commodities have recently been bought or sold, but players won't be able to make a profit by finding a vendor with a low sell price on, for example, arrows and selling them to a vendor with a high buy price.

Does this mean that I'm breaking rules if I buy regs and scrolls from a vendor , run up some scrolls and then sell them back to the vendor for profit.

e.g. I goto fel and buy 20x black pearl, 20x nightshade, 20x mandrake root, 20x blank scrolls and a scribes pen for about 380gp. I then scribe some BS scrolls and sell them for 42gp back to the vendor. As long as I have better than a 45% success rate then I get a profit.

I know that I'm not talking about millions here but don't want to be banned for stupid stuff while training inscription.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its still ok to do that.

With the vendor change after a while you won't make any profit from that soon either.

L

Locus_Ceruleus

Given that this was "a particularly nasty exploit," I'd keep whatever you do on the low.

To be serious, even with a rune book full of NPC vendors, it would be a huge pain to rack up any serious gold with this, um exploit. Once again, I think we have a case of EA-Mythic hating the unattended scripters, but hurting everyone with their indirect solution. As long as you're at your keyboard, I say vend away; you've earned the profit.

G

No, you're not breaking any rules at all doing that.

What Jeremy said was, there was a nasty exploit that allowed people to buy low and sell high the same commodity to the same vendor

This wasn't something you could do without knowing how to manipulate the game code I think, which is why only EA and the people who were doing it know how it was done.

You're not buying and selling the same thing anyway, you're buying resources and selling your finished product. In doing that everything is working exactly as intended, carry on