• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Question about mining gems

convas

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi people! I just got my miner to 95 skill, so when wearing the gloves I am at 100. My question is whether having skill 105 actually gives a better chance to mine gems compared to 100. I know 105 gives a bonus when smelting ore, but I can always hold Jacob's pickaxe while doing that (which takes me up to 105), so is there any real point in going all the way to 100 real skill?

G

Gowron

As far as I know 105 gives you a better chance to successfully smelt gold, agapite, verite, and valorite ore, but I have never seen anything to indicate that it improves my chances of yielding gems.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can mining veterans out there confirm that 105 is the highest mining skill you can have? Just wondering if it's pointless for me to hold Jacob's pickaxe while smelting higher level ore.

Thanks.

convas

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am pretty sure that you can't go over 105. Jacob's pickaxe will not make your skill exceed the cap, only the gloves will (in fact, if you are below 100 you must first equip the pickaxe, then the gloves to get the skill up to 105). If it makes no difference to mining resources, I can't see any point why not lock mining at 95 and use the 5 skill points for sth else?

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mining skill cannot go over 105. Wearing mining gloves while mining has zero effect upon ore type, yield or gems if you are already at 100 real skill.

I used to carry my mining gloves in my pack and only put them on when smelting, since I don't smelt on the run. Since imbuing, I imbued LRC and mage-armor on them and now wear them all the time. It definitely makes no difference with or without them as far as mining is concerned.