• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question about luck

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been gone for the most part a couple of years, maybe 3 and was wondering if luck works yet or is it still broken? If it does work, is there a sweet spot and can you have too much luck? I read in the trade forums that 1000-1200 seems to work the best but that post was from 2012.

Thanks!
Peace and love beads!

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Luck works. No 'sweet' spot that I know of, just load on as much as u can. More is better & there is no 'too much'.
It caps at 3982. If you get a luck statue it gives a good bonus. Some shops keep them locked down for public use even.
Melee chars with bushido can also get 1000 luck bonus once they hit 'perfection' using honor.

Welcome back, we missed ya :)

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish they would update how luck works in the next publish. I don't think it works as intended all of the time

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish they would update how luck works in the next publish. I don't think it works as intended all of the time
There's really no way to know, especially since it doesn't break caps.

Deep Ellum Dan

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Luck does not work as intended.. or at least as we all intend it. Luck does not do much at all for several instances such as treasure hunting and fishing for a fact. Besides that, ive heard other things so ya maybe the luck is similar to the RNG.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the welcome back and the information Acid Rain. I had no idea what the cap was but am getting about 2450-2600 luck w/o the 10th anniversary vase buff. I've been getting some decent drops but they're of course not dropping every kill, that would take the fun out of it for me and I assume for a lot of other people as well. I still haven't found a legendary drop but have found some crazy jewelry and armor while training my pets. Regarding the 3982 cap, is that with perfection? It would have to be wouldn't it? I can't see any other way to even touch that making just a suit, jewelry, shield and weapon?

Thank you also for the info Deep Ellum Dan, I had read that it is supposed to increase intensity on the items that drop from treasure hunting but had read the same thing you're mentioning as well regarding trouble with luck influencing treasure drops.

I'm with the rest of you in that it seems that I have to be hunting for about 30-45 minutes before I notice some crazy items then might go every 4-15 minutes before any high intensity items spawn once again which would "sort of" be along the lines of RNG in a way? I understand the RNG but wondered how the luck affected it and how they work together. It definitely seems to be cyclical. I will try and run the same character without Luck stats at the same spots and see what, if any difference there is.

I appreciate all the replies, thanks you guys!

Edit: Btw, I found the luck suit at an IDOC before they supposedly changed luck and haven't changed out of it since I began playing again. I'll try w/o it and see if I notice any difference.

Last edited:

ioelis

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the welcome back and the information Acid Rain. I had no idea what the cap was but am getting about 2600 luck (alt.2600 and the good ol' days lol) w/o the 10th anniversary vase buff. I've been getting some decent drops but they're of course not dropping every kill, that would take the fun out of it for me and I assume for a lot of other people as well. I still haven't found a legendary drop but have found some crazy jewelry and armor while training my pets. Regarding the 3982 cap, is that with perfection? It would have to be wouldn't it? I can't see any other way to even touch that making just a suit, jewelry, shield and weapon?

Thank you also for the info Deep Ellum Dan, I had read that it is supposed to increase intensity on the items that drop from treasure hunting but had read the same thing you're mentioning as well regarding trouble with luck influencing treasure drops.

I'm with the rest of you in that it seems that I have to be hunting for about 30-45 minutes before I notice some crazy items then might go every 4-15 minutes before any high intensity items spawn once again which would "sort of" be along the lines of RNG in a way? I understand the RNG but wondered how the luck affected it and how they work together. It definitely seems to be cyclical. I will try and run the same character without Luck stats at the same spots and see what, if any difference there is.

I appreciate all the replies, thanks you guys!

Edit: Btw, I found the luck suit at an IDOC before they supposedly changed luck and haven't changed out of it since I began playing again. I'll try w/o it and see if I notice any difference.
finding a luck suit at an IDOC? now thats... lucky

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can tell you luck works in mining saltpeter. Not in the frequency of finding it but in the size of the deposit. With no to low luck I always get the smaller deposits. running 3200 luck almost every niter strike is a the biggest one. No luck I mine a average of 800-900 per hour, high luck I have hit 3000 in a hour. Of course the RNG comes into play with popping the deposit out. So yeah luck works atleast in the aspect of determining the size of niter deposits.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Luck does not work as intended.. or at least as we all intend it. Luck does not do much at all for several instances such as treasure hunting and fishing for a fact.
I'm not exactly clear on how 'we all intend it' but can say with 100% certainty that it does work with treasure hunting. I have done literally hundreds of level 6 and probably close to 100 level 7 maps in the last 4-5 months without doubt seeing a difference using high luck.

Without luck I was averaging 1 good legendary every 7-8 t-maps. With a max luck suit I currently average 1-2 every 2-3 chests.
While the legendary items may not be something I can use every time, they are certainly dropping at a higher rate with less undesirable mods (cursed, 50 weight, etc,...).

I do believe the RNG significantly contributes to the 'hit or miss' outcome while doing t-maps but am quite certain luck works non the less.
I think the RNG may be responsible for much of the 'luck doesn't work' ideology. Players may not be happy with the quality of drops for the
luck they wear but again, I can say with 100% certainty that in a max luck suit it makes a huge difference specifically with t-maps.

I think it works about as good as the RNG which we all know is Bogus.
I'm curious how we all know the RNG is Bogus? I have not read anything concerning it's bogusness (1st time I've had the opportunity to use that word... ever ! Thanks :) )

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I ran a different tamer character (both are legendary, almost same stats) on the same creatures with only 800 luck and there is (for me at least) a noticeable difference between the 800 tamer and the 2500ish tamer using luck. The items were a lot weaker as far as attributes, resists and brittle/cursed items when using low luck at 800. The items found using the 2500 (nearly 2600) w/o vase had greater (and more) attributes, greater resists and less junk items no doubts about it.

I have not ran my t-hunter in forever, I may have to give that character a whirl and see what kind of cool stuff I can find. Acid Rain, what template to you use to run the t-maps?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Luck works. No 'sweet' spot that I know of, just load on as much as u can. More is better & there is no 'too much'.
It caps at 3982. If you get a luck statue it gives a good bonus. Some shops keep them locked down for public use even.
Melee chars with bushido can also get 1000 luck bonus once they hit 'perfection' using honor.

Welcome back, we missed ya :)
The perfection luck never transfers to your stat bar, at least I've never seen it . So I've never believed that it really exists.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The perfection luck never transfers to your stat bar, at least I've never seen it . So I've never believed that it really exists.
Same with the luck bonus from being in Felucca. If we can't see it, it's hard/impossible to tell if it really exists.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Same with the luck bonus from being in Felucca. If we can't see it, it's hard/impossible to tell if it really exists.
Yep, I think the devs intended for it to work that way but forgot to code it properly. You can't convince me that the server looks at my displayed luck in my stats as well as 2 hidden locations (felucca/perfection) which aren't displayed, but trust us guys, it's in the formula? I don't buy it.

If it were displayed, if walking around felucca buck naked showed 1k luck on my bar (yeah I'm beating this one into the ground I know), then I would never question it, seeing is believing.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I've been wondering two things about luck:

1. Does it affect drop rate?

1. Does it affect type of drops? I.e level and type of powerscroll with or without luck. Or getting a pink scroll vs a 105 when spawning.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I think what the game considers a good drop and what I consider a good drop are vastly different. The game probably considers a brittle artifact (and similar properties) a good drop where I toss em. I think that sorta thing stops us from seeing a lot more nice stuff. So you might be getting "lucky" with junk you don't want. That's just a piece of the problem imho.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, I think the devs intended for it to work that way but forgot to code it properly. You can't convince me that the server looks at my displayed luck in my stats as well as 2 hidden locations (felucca/perfection) which aren't displayed, but trust us guys, it's in the formula? I don't buy it.

If it were displayed, if walking around felucca buck naked showed 1k luck on my bar (yeah I'm beating this one into the ground I know), then I would never question it, seeing is believing.
I honestly think luck should be removed or revamped. I say luck should have feedback first of all, preferably visible, like if an item got luck bumped it's colored gold. That way you could actually compare luck vs no luck and see if its worthwhile.

I would also add a group of "lucky items", that work like tot's and other special drops where any creature you kill has a luck check to give you an item from that list.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been wondering two things about luck:

1. Does it affect drop rate?

1. Does it affect type of drops? I.e level and type of powerscroll with or without luck. Or getting a pink scroll vs a 105 when spawning.
Luck affects corpse loot drops or certain spawning loots like treasure chests and saltpeter for mining(niter). I'm not sure about MIBs.
It has no influence over powerscrolls, pinks, or items like slithers, crimsons, tangles, etc,..
Items like replicas and certain boss drops are hit or miss using the RNG. Luck isn't considered for drops like these.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Luck affects corpse loot drops or certain spawning loots like treasure chests and saltpeter for mining(niter). I'm not sure about MIBs.
It has no influence over powerscrolls, pinks, or items like slithers, crimsons, tangles, etc,..
Items like replicas and certain boss drops are hit or miss using the RNG. Luck isn't considered for drops like these.
Good to know, I will be removing luck from all my suits in this case.

Thanks for the info.