• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Question about locked threads...

G

I can see the reason in locking threads...

But If you moderators also can see the reason in locking a thread then why not go a step further and remove the post... I dont see the reason and letting it stay on the forum for everyone to keep reading

why lock a thread if your sill going to let people read it and react to it

G

No I am really being serious I see threads that do not belong on this forum from time to time and they usually get locked instantly so why not remove them as well ...

Or aleast remove the contents of the post etc. so the poster can see that it was locked but the readers of the forum can no longer view it

just my thoughts

G

There is some leeway as to what gets moved to the E.L. and what stays but really if its something is not down right insulting or worse, locking and leaving can allow it to be a tool as to what is acceptable on a given forum as a topic of discussion and what isn't. For instance the Football posts on here are ok and people know that, on the whole though religious threads belong in another forum but how would people know that even a lighthearted thread about Jesus (an obviously a joke thread) is not allowed here if it is immediately moved the the E.L.?

You can't move a post there and leave a pointer here or delete the body or least moderators can't even if they leave the thread pointer here, it would just cause errors for most people since most people don't have privilages to read or post to the E.L.

G

Fair enough. The last locked thread was mine. I just locked it. I locked it because I do not want a bajillion pms telling me that this is insulting and has no place on this gaming forum. It was a knee jerk reaction, I suppose.

I will remove it it from sight completely now. Your point is valid. If I am to be a censor, then I should be just that. It is not all fun and games, being a Mod of these forums. I do enjoy contributing to this community in my small way, but the grief of allowing such open ended discussion of beliefs, moral values, and any other potentially controversial topic is just not in me any more.

There are forums equiped to deal with this stuff. Stratics is not one of them.

G

No It was a simple question that peaked my interest I understood why you locked just not why the contents were not removed

I do not In any way think you guys do a bad job etc. like I said it just had me curious

I guess I should have just sent a pm to a mod etc. instead of posting it on the forum

G

No worries. It was a good question. It made me think a bit. I may address this soon. Just know that we Mods and reporters all all volunteer. It really is a community service. There are absolutely no recompenses for this. We just do it.

Some may dislike the authority we seem to wield, but trust me, it is not always as fun as it seems. *smiles*

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

I do enjoy contributing to this community in my small way, but the grief of allowing such open ended discussion of beliefs, moral values, and any other potentially controversial topic is just not in me any more.

There are forums equiped to deal with this stuff. Stratics is not one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but if you're going to allow OT threads (which I've been against since the start... I could give a hoot to hell less what you do in your personal time or what you think about outside of pertaining to UO.) It's only due-diligence to allow open ended discussions of things that are controversial as long as there done in an adult fashion.

It's not your job to mandate "the grey area" of posted topics... b/c we just get a mess of confusion and people pushing the limits making your job even harder. Its should really just be your job to make sure they don't cross any inappropriate lines.

Just dis-allowing these particular topics or discussions is a short way of skirting your job responsibilities... it should either be all or nothing regarding OT threads on this forum.

I think it should be nothing not-game-related since this is a Ultima Online forum... not a chat room. There are plenty of other forums for that crap to.

P

pikon198

lock threads dont remove them. That kills the fun when you can't read the heated gossipy posts

K

kulssin

<blockquote><hr>

No worries. It was a good question. It made me think a bit. I may address this soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would have been nice if you had "thought about it a bit" in the earlier years of your tenure. Mo and the other more recent Moderators seem to have managed to deal with the bias right out of the gate.

There are people long ago banned because they were trolled into conversations that the moderators let remain locked instead of deleted. And, often because the trolls were guild mates of the moderator.

In my opinion.. Moderate your Shard forum.. or play on it. As history has proven.. doing both leads to stress and heavy drinking.

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

In my opinion..

[/ QUOTE ]

I found the key words! yay!

I need a cookie =[

G

Chocolate chip... ?

Or a warm chocolate cookie with chocolate chips ??

or a Macadamea nuts cookie ?

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

No offense, but if you're going to allow OT threads (which I've been against since the start... I could give a hoot to hell less what you do in your personal time or what you think about outside of pertaining to UO.) It's only due-diligence to allow open ended discussions of things that are controversial as long as there done in an adult fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand your point, but be realistic: You know someone (heck maybe me) will not act the adult and push something overboard. Then it opens the thread to turn into trash which can fester. Its better to preemptively lock it once it gets a little controversial and save us all the pain.
Take the controversial chat to PMs or another forum if you want.

Thats my opinion... thats all.

G

If every post that was going to get locked got removed instead, that would spawn a lot of 'where did xxx post go?' threads. Leaving them locked but visible to everyone is a way of keeping the mods' noses clean. =)

And also it can make for fun reading for those of us who miss the initial drama.

K

Kat SP

<blockquote><hr>

why lock a thread if your sill going to let people read it and react to it

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got to agree with Kage, at least to some degree. If the locked thread wasn't too out of line, but had enough nonsense to warrant a lock, no big deal if it stays and just drops off the page. A really inflammatory post or thread should probably be removed, IMO.

I think the latter would save the flamee some embarrassment and it would likely "pre-empt" follow-up threads by those who are hell bent on getting their 2 cents in after the lock, which are against the RoC anyway.

Whats wrong with pruning out the garbage? Dor used to do that all the time, even in threads that were still open. She and I had our differences once upon a time, but I liked her style of moderating.

G

It is harder to notice deleted threads because you have to see them before they are gone.

I

imported_Magnolia

<blockquote><hr>

No It was a simple question that peaked my interest I understood why you locked just not why the contents were not removed

I do not In any way think you guys do a bad job etc. like I said it just had me curious

I guess I should have just sent a pm to a mod etc. instead of posting it on the forum

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you ask Kage because that has also been a question of mine... When some goes way over the bounds of personal insult and the thread gets locked but remains for all to keep reading the insult has always puzzled me.. I even have pmed the mods to remove locked threads and then have had them tell the person that committed the personal insult that I did so so that they could have that to trash me with in future post, which she did.. Right baby?

M

majorwoo

don't go pushing buttons Mag, or I'll end up locking this one too

*hugs*

S

Sir Ha-ward

Personally id rather see all the insults and poo flinging, that way i can start my own thread up and get it all going again

P

pikon198

<blockquote><hr>

I even have pmed the mods to remove locked threads and then have had them tell the person that committed the personal insult that I did so so that they could have that to trash me with in future post, which she did.. Right baby?

[/ QUOTE ]

If they start removing locked posts, they should also start locking posts with use of improper english...

I

imported_mo'gluk

meeb juz lock posts randomly tu keep da oomies guessin wut meeb ebil plan iz......

P

pikon198

<blockquote><hr>

meeb juz lock posts randomly tu keep da oomies guessin wut meeb ebil plan iz......

[/ QUOTE ]

Uulzo luk puztz wit nubush uruk blah... purfeeckz exumble Mo!

I

imported_Magnolia

<blockquote><hr>

don't go pushing buttons Mag, or I'll end up locking this one too

*hugs*

[/ QUOTE ]

*chuckles*

M

majorwoo

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I do have to say, I like his style.

G

<blockquote><hr>

woot kage for Moderator!

[/ QUOTE ]

**Only if he also has a cool guy dancing avatar for us ladies to look at and swoon over like his chickie avatar for ya guys to look at and swoon over **

Hey fair is fair on mesmerising avatars ya know ! LOL

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I even have pmed the mods to remove locked threads and then have had them tell the person that committed the personal insult that I did so so that they could have that to trash me with in future post, which she did.. Right baby?

[/ QUOTE ]

If they start removing locked posts, they should also start locking posts with use of improper english...

[/ QUOTE ]*clearing throat*
The word 'english' is capitalized, like 'English'.

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

P

pikon198

Thank you! You have passed my English test matey! Come collect your prize by Buccs Den Bank at 6 PM EST. To all you grammatically challenged folks, please try again next time.

I

imported_Magnolia

<blockquote><hr>

Thank you! You have passed my English test matey! Come collect your prize by Buccs Den Bank at 6 PM EST. To all you grammatically challenged folks, please try again next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so much grammatically challenged as I am typing challenged... These fingers have a mind of their own... Tis not the "Devil made me do it" so much as undisciplined, wild fingers!!!