• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Archery] Question about ABC Archers

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have not much played an archer so I am not into the details.

The ABC Archer relies, besides Archery and Chivalry, also on Bushido.

I seem to understand, that this is because of Perfection which increases the damage done.

What I do not understand well, is that the way Perfection works (or at least that I see to understand it works...), it needs the attacker to stay still and as much close to the target throughout the entire fight.

Now, Archers usually move all over and shoot from a distance being it a ranged skill.

So, how exactly does Bushido fit in an archer template ?

Thanks.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True, you don't understand how perfection works.

What you described as the "need" is honor, not perfection.

Perfection gives you a proportion of damage increase relative to your skill and the number of times you hit your enemy in a row.

I'll leave out the formula, because it has never been officially given, to my knowledge... and move straight to an example.

You have 100 bushido and use perfection against a monster (who, coincidentally, has a lot of hit points).
You hit the monster once, and your perfection bonus goes to 10%.
You hit the monster a second time, and your perfection bonus goes to 20%
Every time you miss, your perfection bonus goes down three levels (Thus 30%)
The maximum comes after 10 hits in a row at 100%

Note: at 50 bushido, you only gain a level (10% DI) after two hits. At 120 bushido, you gain max perfection after 9 consecutive hits instead of 10. (If you're good at math, you can derive the formula now)

It has nothing to do with where you stand or if you damage first or anything. Honor and perfection are only related in that you have to honor to use perfection.

C

Cloak&Dagger

An easier answer than what Farsight said would be simply, Do not damage the target, Honor it, and hit away. You are linking things that are not the same.

Also Farsight, doesn't your level of honor affect it somehow? I thought so while I was reading your answer.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for both answers.

So, I reckon, Honor and Perfection are 2 entire separate things both related to Bushido but which can be kept as entirely separate.

This said, while is it objectively hard for an archer to gain Honor, an Archer can perfectly reach Perfection as Farsight explained without ever needing to Honor the target.

My next question is, alright, the archer has 120 Bushido, hits 9 times the target and gains Perfection.

What happens next ?

J

[JD]

This said, while is it objectively hard for an archer to gain Honor,
false, grab a demon slayer bow and head to the dojo to honor and kill succubus. eoo them and use consecrate if needed.

an Archer can perfectly reach Perfection as Farsight explained without ever needing to Honor the target.
also false, you must first honor a target to enable perfection

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
also false, you must first honor a target to enable perfection

Hold it. Now I am getting confused.........

From Farsight's reply I seem to understand that Perfection is not related to Honor and requires no hassles. Just go out and shoot at a target and after an X number of consecutive hits (depending on the level of Bushido skill...) Perfection is reached which will give a boost at Damage Increase.

Now from your reply I understand that no, it is necessary to Honor the target which means being close, stand still and blah blah which, in the case of an archer which usually dances around the target, is not exactly easily doable....
Being a ranged skill, archers usually do not invest heavily (understandably) into defense or, at least, not as much as a Melee character which fights toe to toe.

Having to go through all of the Honor limitations and requirement for an archer would be a royal pain (stay close, stand still and all that).

So, now, I am confused as to which is which.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Perfection is a Bushido bonus initiated by the Honor virtue.

Gaining Perfection requires you only to Honor the target and hit consecutively.

Gaining in the Honor virtue (which does something else entirely - non template specific - explained in the virtue section on the front page of stratics) is enhanced, but not required, by things such as relative location from where you initiated the Honor and where the monster dies.

The dynamics of gaining Honor do not affect the dynamics of gaining Perfection, they are just initiated in the same way.

J

[JD]

thats fine if you move popps, succ are so high in fame/karma/honor it wont matter anyway. just honor to initiate your perfection and do what you need to do to kill it. every hit you gain perfection, every miss you lose it.