• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Quest that take forever..

Should quest be looked at because the amount of time seems to be too high for the rew

• Yes.

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • No.

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was wondering what every one though about some of the quest.

Mainly Folded Steel glasses, Mace and shield glasses, and the city of Heartwood Runic kits. It seems that the amount of time invested in these is absurd for the normal players play time.

I've spent probably a good 50+ hours in Heartwood and only gotten a Oak saw over the last few weeks.

I was looking at this mace and shield reward I am aiming for, and it's looking like it will take over 100 hours; unless I fork over 12m.

Question:
Should quest be looked at because the amount of time seems to be too high for the reward?
A simple yes or no poll; just explain in a reply.

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't say the time it takes should be lowered but a change is needed because right now it's a repetitive task that encourages (and benefits) scripting and scripters.

S

Sarphus

I think the collection quests take a stupid long amoung of time to complete legitimately. Scripting needs to be addressed before they are made faster.

I would like to see some epic quests added to UO, though. Quests with long quest chains that take you down a storyline. That would be cool, but the reward for doing the quests should be something you would actually use too.

It would be cool if there were spells and abilities that were only attainable as rewards for completing epic quests.

E

envinyatar

I agree that the heartwood quests are rather annoying. I think they should be moved over to the BOD system, like tailoring and blacksmithing. Add powerscrolls for fletching and carpentry and other misc rewards. I like working towards something that I know I am guaranteed to get; it makes all the hard work worth it.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I think the item turn in should be removed and you should just have to buy them for gold. Someone at some point must have thought 12m was a reasonable amount to make the gold value of the 800,000 point items. The item turn in's not only circumvent that (because it only takes like 4m of bucklers - just an example can't remember exact maths on it) but also promote scripting by being so unrealistic for a player to hand in manually.

People are always saying we need gold sinks & I may not really agree that we do, but if you had to buy the rewards from collections (which would basically mean their just shops) then it would be a gold sink of a signifigant level compared to the gold in game. Buying com deeds for 5 gp (just an example) isn't exactly going to cut it with 100m items in circulation.

S

Sarphus

I agree that the heartwood quests are rather annoying. I think they should be moved over to the BOD system, like tailoring and blacksmithing. Add powerscrolls for fletching and carpentry and other misc rewards. I like working towards something that I know I am guaranteed to get; it makes all the hard work worth it.

As much as I hate the BOD system, I agree. The Heartwood system is even dumber. I hate systems that involve grinding out items mindlessly and praying to the RNG.

I would rather see these systems replaced with epic quests when you seek out the finest and rarest of resources to make some epic item for some npc and are rewarded with a valorite hammer, etc.

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem with buying them is not alot of people can afford it. At least now there is some hope. They just need to make it less attractive to scripters and more attractive to the average player.

R

Revenant2

Some of these quests appear to be set up with a drop rate that has the expectation of the runics being gathered by scripters. Yeah that does balance the economy out but something smarter should be thought up to where scripters can't make mass kits but people can make what's right.

I am thinking here specifically about the Fletching quests in Heartwood, not BOD like things.

I wouldnt be surprised if they had their own ideas already on how to deal. My own would be to make it so that each account can get, say, 1 super high-end runic in a real-life time period (say once a month for example) and it requires a quest to be done that cannot be scripted (the humility cloak quest, for example, that would be a tough one...). Make the time period match whatever the desired drop rate for such a runic is and, well, there you go.

If you only want each account to get their own runic once every 2 months, then do that, but lord, don't try to make people click endlessly in Heartwood for 40 hours on average to get one!

And if you want... you could link the runic to the char that gets it, so that only that char can use that runic.... mmm. If you REALLY wanted to pull the reins on the role that scripting has for getting runics while making them correctly available to the general population, those 2 things together seem like they would do it!

E

Emil IsTemp

Hmm.. quest that takes forever.. well i started one 10 years ago when i picked up UO at Eb.. =)

I like long quests.. not per-say the library ones, but quests that have many different steps.

S

Strawberry

The collection points should all be tied together, per account. That way, one could tame polar bears for an hour, then craft, then fish, and have it all count towards one goal. As it is now, a lot of players don't even bother with it.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know if you're going to make a Sig, especially one putting down someone or something else. Try using the spellcheck first.

G

galefan2004

If you think UO quests take a long time then don't ever play WoW.

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your survey is too vague
It was just yes or no... and your opinion in your reply. You don't have to vote.

It was just your opinion if you think they are good or if you think the system should be looked at.

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have always been talking that.... if UO is to do repetitive tasks of something, it will just benefit scripts and make it tough for legit players.

Instead of a ONE step quest, we could make it TWO step quest that involve actual playing instead of holding bunch of resources and script making, script hand in, etc....

For example, for BOD orders:-

Step 1:-
Say a person got a smith bod, he will then hand in the smith bod to the NPC.

Step 2:-
The NPC will request the smith to find another item (the range could be so big on this part, from like an apple to a power crystal)

With this, script will no longer able to continue handing in BODs unattended for new bods or rewards.

Revise the bow quest and tinker quest, etc... in heartwood also to this format will also improve the scripting situation for this.

THIS IS SO SIMPLE TO FIX the cheating solution, i dont see how hard it is to fix.

As for resource gathering, i have an idea also:-

for example, ores and those blue diamonds/blackrocks... the most rare ores like valorite, verite etc... will have highly increased chance to get in particular area in deep dungeons, other outside area with low spawn, will have say 1% to get valorite.. Inside the deep dungeons, it will increase up to 10 to 15%...

The concept is the more heavy the spawn and stronger the spawn is, the higher chance to get better material, the lower the spawn and weaker the spawn is, the chance reduce..

for woods, we could have the same concept applied to this like mining as well

for leathers, the system is working now so that you couldnt get the barbed leathers so easy anymore as it involves killing dragons, white wyrms, etc.

In additional to this, besides mining mindless or chopping mindless for trees, there could also be some long quest that enable npc to trade resources with you... say get a blue diamond and trade for 100 valorite ores..

something that works like the translocation powder... of course more complicated.

With this, I think it will encourage more people to go mine legit instead of using script and have the same % chance to get in outside area.

This is the only way to fix the scripting problem. If you have better, can also share.

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like your ideas slayer. I was thinking of something similar but couldn't quite grasp it but you hit it right on the head. Although they could probably create scripts for such, it would still keep them on their toes. Make things less repetitive and you make the scripters scramble.

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i really like revenant2's idea of runic's being character-bound. i would definitely like to see that happen. cept.. well.. i guess scripters would still get all the runics, they'd just -also- have a corner on the weapons/armor market as well since they are the only ones able to actually get enough runics. so, perhaps it would also do well to have there be a monthly limit as mentioned. sadly, if this were ever to happen (and it won't since fixing things isn't as easy as just making it more difficult for the actual players by using a bandaid solution) there would be mass upheaval for whoever the hell knows why. no one likes change.