• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PvP Necro-Mage Weapon?

L

Larry

Whats a good mage weapon for a typical necromage?

Necro, SS, magery, eval, med, resist.

With no weapon skill, a mage weapon is needed. I thought about the Magi staff or swords of prosperity, but anyone have any better recommendations? Does either of those arties have an advantage?

T

Turdnugget

Prosperity has 1fc... but not good to rely on that FC1 as part of your 2/6 set up.

Both are 2handed, can't chug.

Most mage weapon users prefer either something fast, like a kryss with hitspell + DCI, or a twinkling scimitar as you can get up to 21 DCI on it. And preferrably one with only -20 mage so it's easier to compensate for.

L

Larry

Prosperity has 1fc... but not good to rely on that FC1 as part of your 2/6 set up.

Both are 2handed, can't chug.

Most mage weapon users prefer either something fast, like a kryss with hitspell + DCI, or a twinkling scimitar as you can get up to 21 DCI on it. And preferrably one with only -20 mage so it's easier to compensate for.
I assume the only real way to compensate is with +magery rings?

T

Turdnugget

Correct. Which can be hard to find, at a decent price. Or the crystalline ring since it's got +20. But then you gotta make up FCR w/Inquisitors or a shield with FCR.

Some are lucky enough to find a decent ring with +magery and also use tha Library Talisman with +5 Magery.

C

Chaosy

For a non-factions player, the easiest way I've found to build up a semi-decent necro mage suit includes:

Kasa
Pendant
Heart of the Lion/Violet Courage/Fey Leggings (One of these)
Quiver
1/2 or 1/3 ring with magery
Orny

Depending on how high the magery on your ring is, you can go either with the alchy talisman or a totem of the void.

This way you can use a sc -1 mage weapon, which are easier to find with good mods and far cheaper than a no pen. This will leave you an open hand to chug.

Good luck.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Additionally, some people prefer a weapon with a fire damage mod on it as well since corpse skin leaves the victim more vulnerable to fire damage. The flip side of that being the victim is more resistant to physical, poison and cold based damage.

G

GFY

Don't forget spell channeling so you don't disarm when you cast a spell.

Staff of Pyros is a good 1 handed (I believe) mage weapon.

C

Chaosy

Don't forget spell channeling so you don't disarm when you cast a spell.

Staff of Pyros is a good 1 handed (I believe) mage weapon.
Staff of Pyros is actually a black staff, almost the same to the Staff of the Magi (two-handed).

T

Turdnugget

The only one handed -mage weapons that exist before being looted from monsters, or crafted, are wands. But even those are looted =)

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For a non-factions player, the easiest way I've found to build up a semi-decent necro mage suit includes:

Kasa
Pendant
Heart of the Lion/Violet Courage/Fey Leggings (One of these)
Quiver
1/2 or 1/3 ring with magery
Orny

Depending on how high the magery on your ring is, you can go either with the alchy talisman or a totem of the void.

This way you can use a sc -1 mage weapon, which are easier to find with good mods and far cheaper than a no pen. This will leave you an open hand to chug.

Good luck.
I'm seeing only 20 DCI here. You should strive for High DCI whenever possible, especially since a good dexxer will just have a field day otherwise.
If you are a good healer, pots will not really be necessary.

In the instance that it arises, you can easily have a macro setup in uo assist to unequip, drink your potion and re-equip your least dominant side.

I don't recommend it though, if your uo assist locks up a lot or is not reliable.

C

Chaosy

I'm seeing only 20 DCI here. You should strive for High DCI whenever possible, especially since a good dexxer will just have a field day otherwise.
If you are a good healer, pots will not really be necessary.

In the instance that it arises, you can easily have a macro setup in uo assist to unequip, drink your potion and re-equip your least dominant side.

I don't recommend it though, if your uo assist locks up a lot or is not reliable.
It's 25 dci if you use fey leggings and a quiver. It also allows you to use a -1 fc mage weapon and still have a free hand, and potentially you can get a twinkling scimitar with 20 DCI on it (-1 fc ones are pretty cheap in my experience). Again, the suit advice was for a "semi-decent non-factioner" as I stated in the first line of my post. It is by no means the end-all uber suit. Even then, 45 dci is not bad, considering with the standard folded steel/crystalline/inquis/orny/AoF build, you max out at 35 dci without a weapon, and finding a no penalty 10+ dci can be troublesome.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's 25 dci if you use fey leggings and a quiver. It also allows you to use a -1 fc mage weapon and still have a free hand, and potentially you can get a twinkling scimitar with 20 DCI on it (-1 fc ones are pretty cheap in my experience). Again, the suit advice was for a "semi-decent non-factioner" as I stated in the first line of my post. It is by no means the end-all uber suit. Even then, 45 dci is not bad, considering with the standard folded steel/crystalline/inquis/orny/AoF build, you max out at 35 dci without a weapon, and finding a no penalty 10+ dci can be troublesome.
True, yes i missed the fey leggings. Right, that would be 25. Well, I wasn't thinking in the context of 45 or even higher than that. I had seen what had been stated as far as suit build. Just that even 35 is pretty easy to achieve like you stated.

Is a very good point about the twinkling scimitar having the ability to get 20 DCI from that. I had forgotten about that. Good call.

G

GFY

I don't put much faith in DCI weapons on a mage. With a low dex dexxers will disarm you at will and also drop your DCI.

C

Chaosy

I don't put much faith in DCI weapons on a mage. With a low dex dexxers will disarm you at will and also drop your DCI.
In which case having a lot of DCI is almost pointless anyway, since a maxed out dexer will likely hit you with every shot.

When I get disarmed I usually:

A) Run
B) Cast blood oath and hope for the best

:p

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you get disarmed weilding a mage weapon, you dont actually have any weapon-defence chance at all. You guys should really try and think the other way around. Thinking like how do i get 50++ skill points from my gear, so i can fit in wrestling, and do i really need to be 120 in everything?

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you get disarmed weilding a mage weapon, you dont actually have any weapon-defence chance at all. You guys should really try and think the other way around. Thinking like how do i get 50++ skill points from my gear, so i can fit in wrestling, and do i really need to be 120 in everything?
Well correct, you have no weapon then. That is why personally, I fit all defense chance increase onto my suit. After all disarm is not a heavily mana laden move.

Personally +skill points I really don't use. It sets the player into a certain template. In my opinion, you stay more versatile when you can equip different gear for different situations. A player will not be able to do that as well, if they are say...depending on a piece of headgear to give them 20 points.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well correct, you have no weapon then. That is why personally, I fit all defense chance increase onto my suit. After all disarm is not a heavily mana laden move.

Personally +skill points I really don't use. It sets the player into a certain template. In my opinion, you stay more versatile when you can equip different gear for different situations. A player will not be able to do that as well, if they are say...depending on a piece of headgear to give them 20 points.
Atleast they can't disarm your'e +skill hat, but disarming your'e whole def chance by removing your'e wepp is pretty bad.

DCI items won't help you much without wepp skill of any kind.

T

Turdnugget

Most people using DCI -mage weapons use it to go above the cap to counter HLD.

R

RichDC

I am going to totally disagree with the post about ehart of lion etc,

Best combo by far:

Folded steel glasses
Armour of fortune
Inquis
Orny
Crystaline
Quiver
DCI Mage Weap (i myself use no pen -20 14%DCI)
And if not gna chug pots use a spell channelling no pen bloodwood enhanced dci woodden shield

And the rest get Tok Plate or barbed runic ar (only need 40% lrc with this combo can get on 2 part and max out the resists on others or split it up with low lrc Lmc mr and high resists, play around with it basically)

T

Turdnugget

Most of the knowledgeable PvPers run pretty much the set-up Rich posted. Whether it's w/Doom arties or faction arties.

R

RichDC

Thats where i got it, im not a good pvper but its what i got rolled with all the time so i used it, works wonders (im not factions though so no bonus dci!) altho i still get rolled lol

C

Chaosy

I am going to totally disagree with the post about ehart of lion etc,

Best combo by far:

Folded steel glasses
Armour of fortune
Inquis
Orny
Crystaline
Quiver
DCI Mage Weap (i myself use no pen -20 14%DCI)
And if not gna chug pots use a spell channelling no pen bloodwood enhanced dci woodden shield

And the rest get Tok Plate or barbed runic ar (only need 40% lrc with this combo can get on 2 part and max out the resists on others or split it up with low lrc Lmc mr and high resists, play around with it basically)
Disagree if you like, but like I said (and I reiterate IN THE FIRST SENTENCE), it was for people looking for a cheap suit and not in factions. The suit you posted is what most people use, however for many starting necro mage PvPers (which is what I'm assuming Larry is judging based off his choice in using a staff of the magi/swords of prosperity), building a brand new suit with all those artifacts can be quite costly.

L

Larry

Let me clarify.

I left the game a year after AoS. The FOTM build then used the magi staff (this was before spell books with stats and crystalline ring) so nobody could really use mage weapons besides the magi staff.

Now that I returned I see that this has changed with the new items. I'm a factioner and have been taking advantage of the arties, but there really isn't a good weapon for it. I'm currently using.

Folding Steel Glasses
Armor of fortune
Orny
Crystalline ring (faction one has 3 FCR, no need for inquis)
Fey leggings
Pendent
Various barbed kit armor to get 70s, MR, LMC, LRC... etc

A lot of people leave a shield off for easier chugging, but use arcane shield to compesate a -fc mageweapon, plus the 15 DCI is nice.

Every SC mage weapon with no -pen I've seen has been like 80mil. It's totally ridiculous. I've considered trying a wrestle mix with it. I would take advantage of skill items (crystalline ring, + skill spellbook). It would fit decently by dropping med to 80 and lowering SS, necro, and magery. Every dexer now spams disarm, wrestle would keep a ton of defense. You sacrifice some necro damage and some med for wrestle, might be worth it. With LMC and MR mana is rarely a problem anyway.

C

Chaosy

With faction arties and a lack of desire to go with the mage weapon route, it can be fairly easy to fit wrestling in (I have a wrestle necro mage myself).

It's really a matter of using (IMO):

Aegis of Grace
Bloodwood Spirit
Armor of Fortune
Faction Orny
Faction Crystalline

That gives you 45 extra points right there. I'm not sure how much you want to rely on +skill spellbooks (I do, but they can be disarmed), but I would much rather have all the +skill items on my armor and use one of the DCI event spellbooks. With low med, you do run out of mana pretty fast so you'll have to get used to mana conservation in a fight.

For my character, I use a 0/2 ecru with +skill, 1/3 bracelet with +skill, and a multiskill scrapper's, but no faction items.