• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PvP becomes more and more skilless because of dexers

L

Larry

I'm losing faith in the PvP system.

People spent hours and hours for years practicing mage duels, getting better. It was something you could improve on, and took skill. Fights in the field were balanced and enjoyable.

Not anymore. It's just a race to the gimpest template. PvP now consists of being 2 shotted by a stealthed archer for 85 damage per hit even with full 70s resist and maxed DCI. It just doesnt matter anymore. People didn't leave uo because of tram, they left because of how ridiculous dexxers have gotten. Skill doesnt matter. You could master the mage and be worthless because an archer can click one button and 2-shot you. The ridiculous stats of items have made it worse. Dexers with massive HCI, DI... its out of control.

People remember UO for PvP actually taking skill. Standing next to someone and managing 4 buttons as a dexer totally ruined it.

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It really has nothing to do with dexters. It was when they made the game item based. When everyone ran around naked with only a death robe and a weapon/aids/pots or a spellbook/bag of regs/pots. That was when it was all skill. Now its all about having the best gear and speeder.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Fights use to be balanced? When?

If skill is simply what you call pushing buttons, then if anything it takes more skill now than it use to. Before dexers didn't really push any keys at all. Now they have to push more keys for special abilities and whatnot.

But yes, it's all about gear now.

B

Bluebottle

Fights use to be balanced? When?

If skill is simply what you call pushing buttons, then if anything it takes more skill now than it use to. Before dexers didn't really push any keys at all. Now they have to push more keys for special abilities and whatnot.

But yes, it's all about gear now.
No kidding!

I'm not sure if what my I discovered about the neighbor's twins who appeared to be constantly playing MMOs including UO (thankfully quitting late last year as they took off for college) can be termed as "skill" but it sure underscores the "gear-wins-overall" argument.

They had individual dedicated connections (one uses a Comcast cable modem, the other sources from U-Verse), they both have the latest uber-fast systems including Raptor drives with Bigfoot Killer NICs network connections using Nostromo n52te hand controllers with specialized UOA/UO PvP macro presets.

For UO and Eve they even had set up some sort of ingenious automated ghost-cam/gate rig running on a couple of old laptops that in UO mode would cycle through the champ spawn areas on several shards and alarm (or even SMS text message) where and when any potential action appeared to be happening!

How on earth did what used to be a simple fun game turn into such an inasne greed/power/ego fuelled environment that we appear to have reached?

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It really has nothing to do with dexters. It was when they made the game item based. When everyone ran around naked with only a death robe and a weapon/aids/pots or a spellbook/bag of regs/pots. That was when it was all skill. Now its all about having the best gear and speeder.
This. EA needs to create a classic shard. Or at minimum a pre-AoS one.

I have long said, if I wanted to play diablo 2, it's free.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How on earth did what used to be a simple fun game turn into such an inasne greed/power/ego fuelled environment that we appear to have reached?
Because people can run around and speed hack all day and it doesn't get enforced. Is a sad state of affairs.

red sky

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah you're a bit overdone there with the 85 per hit thing Larry but I understand where you're coming from. You just have to evolve to fight the problem which is creating a mage with 120 wrestling and 60+ dci. Then you have to be really good at fighting a mage who uses a mage wep and uses that extra skill slot for something you don't have. But you can laugh when they get pwnt by a disarm, bleed, moving shot, AI dexer. Just plan to have some really long battles with dexers if they have enchanted bandages (maybe all day) unless you gank them or get ganked yourself.

Metalstorm

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The balance is constantly changing.

I remember back in 98 when it was the bards that had all the power.

Back then you could provoke other players. I remember my first day as a newbie. I had met a fellow player and we were out exploring when I suddenly started swacking the guy.
Out from behind a tree stepped a red bard laughing his arse off.

Then a year or so later the mages had the power. Then the Dex monkeys.

Then the tamers and then the macers and then the mages again.

Now it's the dexxers' turn again.

It'll change again and then we'll all have to adapt and evolve again or spend a lot of time saying oooOOOOooooOO

On Edit: I find it very interesting that archery is powerful again.
I remember the huge outcries of archers everywhere (myself included) back during the big archery nerf. I can't remember how long ago that was. I'm thinking somewhere between 2000 and 2002. Before then archery was an awesome skill to have. After the nerfing it was damn near useless.
It's nice to see it come back around :)

S

SUPRsalad

hmm.. WHat i usually do against dexxers (if i cant kill them) is 'rel por'
a good mage should fear no template.

S

Scratch

i cant believe you are bithing about dexers when all i see are lame ass dismount all kill tamers talking about how awesome they are.....not. lol poor Torture from N/A guild cant kill me after he runs up dismounts me, says all kill, and follows with moving shot spam. pvp is pathetic indeed these days. but its not the dexxers to blame. it is those who are too lazy to have fun playing real pvp that make the overpowered templates as soon as they are made thinking they are good at uo finally. tamer archers that say all kill with a mare are trammys in red, nothing more.

this game is about items now and has been since aos. there is no fixing it, it will always be an up and down roller coaster ride in which we will need to make the newest gimplate to survive or play. mages arent nerfed any more than any other template short of the currently popular tamer dismount archer one. mages hit hard fast and never miss or whiff. the pets need removed from pvp. fighting a tamer whos only defense is an all kill macro is not pvp, thats pvm. the trammy in red.

naked dueling or field fights prior to aos was skill so why talk about skill now? it hasnt mattered for over 5 years now.

B

Belanos/Icicle

i cant believe you are bithing about dexers when all i see are lame ass dismount all kill tamers talking about how awesome they are
the only people who complain are the ones who lose an advantage on their template - its been that way since the beginning and it will continue to the end. I never hear people complaining about how overpowered their own template might be. Damn why won't they nerf me???

That said, I just want to remind everyone that PvP does not stand for Player Versus Pet.