• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

pvp and new masteries

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
done some testing with masteries, and I see some issues with balancing pvp. devs may have to spend an excessive amount of time rebalancing if these masteries are put in place. some are too weak and some are way over powered. some encourage multi use. i don't think masteries, the way they are, is a good idea but will probably happen anyway. some people are going to get wiped out lol. just my thoughts.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
So...which ones specifically do you notice there might be a problem with?
Injected Strike under the poisoning mastery could be a problem. The move by itself is okay, but its the fact that you can combine it with other special moves at the same time is a bit much. Now imagine disarm/splinter/dp in a single hit. You can even combine it with Death Strike.

Also the Spirituality shield might be a problem in pvp, even though that's a virtue and not a mastery. I guess it would depend on how easy or difficult it is to gain in that virtue. Could possibly encourage unattended play to gain in the virtue.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Called Shot is definitely going to be a problem in PvP. It's +75% DI ignores the 100% PvP DI cap. I was doing 33-43 damage a hit to another player with maxed resists with it at 150 STR, 120 Throwing/120 Tactics/GM Anat, 100% item DI and a Soul Glaive. That's not considering Hit Lightning or Hit Velocity, or that the damage can go even higher with 120 Anat. I can still activate Weapon Specials during it too. So i can potentially 3-4 shot someone with Called Shot up.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also the Spirituality shield might be a problem in pvp, even though that's a virtue and not a mastery. I guess it would depend on how easy or difficult it is to gain in that virtue. Could possibly encourage unattended play to gain in the virtue.
its extremely easy. yes you can do it afk. with the amount of resists on artifact armor the -70 resist is a slight road-bump, but its very easy to make a suit that will be 60s / 70s resist. Personally i would bump the negative up to -80, or even -90.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Injected Strike under the poisoning mastery could be a problem. The move by itself is okay, but its the fact that you can combine it with other special moves at the same time is a bit much. Now imagine disarm/splinter/dp in a single hit. You can even combine it with Death Strike.

I'm pretty confident that you cannot use it with special moves. But I do agree that applying poison to ANY weapon needs to be re-evaluated. A composite should not be able to DP...

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'm pretty confident that you cannot use it with special moves. But I do agree that applying poison to ANY weapon needs to be re-evaluated. A composite should not be able to DP...
Try it out on test center. I just tested it again using a war fork. First I activated Injected Strike, then activated bleed and then hit an ogre. He was bleeding and dp'd at the same time.

I don't know if that is a bug or how it is meant to function.

When I activated bleed first, then try to activate injected strike, it canceled the bleed.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol.. Spinter / DP /.Disarm all in ONE swing will be OP ... or like aomeone mentioned ready Waki force Walk + DP.. ... I guess maybe mana requirements might limit this bc i havent looked at that info yet...

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
have to go for awhile, someone said that death ray did 46 damage INSTA DEATH lol. check later lol
opps had to edit, he said something about spell plague, evil omen with explosion flame type combo. test later

Last edited:

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
have to go for awhile, someone said that death ray did 246 damage INSTA DEATH lol. check later lol
I don't think death ray is a problem. It does less damage towards players. On test center I was doing 35 damage per tick against a player with 60 energy resist. It also has a casting time. And once it is cast, it does not immediately start doing damage. It starts doing damage couple seconds later.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I don't think death ray is a problem. It does less damage towards players. On test center I was doing 35 damage per tick against a player with 60 energy resist. It also has a casting time. And once it is cast, it does not immediately start doing damage. It starts doing damage couple seconds later.
Where you at lvl 3?

I was doing 45 and couldn't get any higher.

Regardless, this is not OP because you have to stay still, your opponent needs to stay in range and you cannot be disrupted/cast another spell.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Where you at lvl 3?

I was doing 45 and couldn't get any higher.

Regardless, this is not OP because you have to stay still, your opponent needs to stay in range and you cannot be disrupted/cast another spell.
yes level 3, but I only had 5 SDI

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
have to go for awhile, someone said that death ray did 246 damage INSTA DEATH lol. check later lol
Death Ray deals half as much damage against players as it does in PvM, and it does Energy Damage. With 120 Magery/120 Eval, it did 27 damage a tick to a player with 75 Energy Resist (Elf). While channeling Death Ray, any movement/actions from you will cancel it, and any damage/effects hitting you will cancel it (even through Protection). SDI doesn't seem to affect it's damage, i went from 0% SDI to 45%, and noticed no difference in it's damage. Slayer Spellbooks don't seem to affect it's damage output in PvM either. Death Ray also eats Mana like hell.

The only PvP situation in which Death Ray would be really usable, is if you could catch a Melee Warrior in a X-Field, then Death Ray him. Even then, he could probably out heal it with bandies.

Last edited:

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for your feedback thus far. It is important to us that we strike the right balance of skill vs power with the Masteries in PVP. Keep the concerns coming.

Sir_Bolo

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
its extremely easy. yes you can do it afk. with the amount of resists on artifact armor the -70 resist is a slight road-bump, but its very easy to make a suit that will be 60s / 70s resist. Personally i would bump the negative up to -80, or even -90.
I think you got Spirituality mixed up with Humility.
The -70 resists is for Humility gains (which are used to buff pet HPR).
To gain Spirituality for the Shield, on the other hand, you need to cross-heal other players
(I suppose it's still possible to do it AKF, of course...)

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Yes it stacks with special moves.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you got Spirituality mixed up with Humility.
The -70 resists is for Humility gains (which are used to buff pet HPR).
To gain Spirituality for the Shield, on the other hand, you need to cross-heal other players
(I suppose it's still possible to do it AKF, of course...)
definitely....2 accounts....2 characters each wear cloaks of death... cross healing loop....every hour or so you would need to reload bandies.
but listen since when has Broadsword really cared about unattended bank sitting??? Characters stand in luna most days wearing death cloaks training healing.

Last edited:

Sir Mastermind

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
definitely....2 accounts....2 characters each wear cloaks of death... cross healing loop....every hour or so you would need to reload bandies.
but listen since when has Broadsword really cared about unattended bank sitting??? Characters stand in luna most days wearing death cloaks training healing.
Well if skill gain wasn't so god damn tedious and boring in this game then people wouldn't have a reason to afk train. I afk trained skills all the time, because I'm not going to sit around clicking a bandaid constantly. If there was some kind of fun quest type thing I could go do and gain 10 points at once or something, then I would be all over that. At least now there is a better way to get rid of murder counts with forged pardons, instead of sitting around AFK.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well if skill gain wasn't so god damn tedious and boring in this game then people wouldn't have a reason to afk train. I afk trained skills all the time, because I'm not going to sit around clicking a banyou missed the point of the sarcassdaid constantly. If there was some kind of fun quest type thing I could go do and gain 10 points at once or something, then I would be all over that. At least now there is a better way to get rid of murder counts with forged pardons, instead of sitting around AFK.

you missed the point of my sarcastic reply.....many here insist that afk bank sitters arent violating and terms of service. But yet the same people scream about people afk training...or mining...etc.

typical double standard BS..."my way is the only right way to play!"

lol

Sir Mastermind

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, I got it. I'm just venting about the boring nature of skill gain, and how it's ultimately the cause of afk scripting. I'm not sure how bank sitting violates ToS... Mining I can see though. And skill gaining I'm sure does, but I don't really care. Design a fun way to gain skill and people won't have to violate ToS to do it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No, I got it. I'm just venting about the boring nature of skill gain, and how it's ultimately the cause of afk scripting. I'm not sure how bank sitting violates ToS... Mining I can see though. And skill gaining I'm sure does, but I don't really care. Design a fun way to gain skill and people won't have to violate ToS to do it.
Skill gaining is only as boring as you make it. If people actually played their characters while gaining skill it wouldn't be so boring.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lets not derail this thread.....it is an important too to get valid feedback to the devs

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Resurrecting a ghost is quite effective in raising Spirituality. I was able to reach Knight of Spirituality in only 35 minutes by casting the Resurrection spell repeatedly (with 120 med/focus and 10 mana regen). I would assume it would be even faster if using bandages, because you don't have to worry about mana.

Also the shield lasts a long time. Whether you're Seeker, Follower or Knight, it will take 1000 points of damage to break the shield. It might be easy to do that much damage against monsters, but not against a player with all 70s resists. It will take 29 Armor Ignores to break the shield...

I guess you could say it's not overpowered because everybody has access to it (except for murderers), but I would prefer not being forced into farming Spirituality in order to compete in pvp.