• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PvP and Factions on LS

S

Spoz

Hi all,

Currently I've arrived back at UO for a while and am playing around with factions on Lake Superior. I thought I'd give a brief background to factions (and PvP on LS) and perhaps see how you may be interested in it.

Faction combat on Lake Superior is fairly small scale. While there are members in all four factions, most only ever have about 6 members on at a time - whether it be attacking or defending. This is probably because it actually provides no money to players participating - unlike champion spawns. It is not beneficial for any of the large guilds to take over a faction - profit is not there.

However it may be of interest to players who wish to try out PvP. Importantly - faction combat does not exist in Trammel. You will only ever get killed in Felucca! Also some of the time you will be defending a base - giving you time to chat and talk to other PvPers who are helping defend. You'll get to know some Felucca players and they will give ideas to you and help you improve your suit and tactics typically.

Remember that each time you die in a faction combat you only lose 100 gold per insured item - unlike 600 for monsters or 300 for normal players! This makes it incredibly cheap to fight in a faction - at the typical cost per death at just 1200 gold.

So, my next post will give some ideas of experiences that I have had in factions on LS, as well as a rundown of the current status of the factions.

S

Spoz

UO Link for LS Faction scores: http://town.uo.com/factions/factions_4.html

The four factions on LS are as follows:

True Britannians - with the BMW! guild as the main members in it. They currently command 5 of the 8 cities.

Council of Mages - with my guild WoR (and W0R allies) as the main members in it. We currently command 1 city, although are in process of currupting 2 others.

Shadowlords - with UZI leading it - definatly put up a good fight.

Minax - with another single alliance commanding it (AX!). They have strong members however and put up a good fight when they can get the players on.

Fights are quite good, and encounters will all factions are common during the town capturing phases which happen twice a week. On occassion faction members will ally with other factions in order to deal with a larger threat - like when TB had an inpenetrable base defense and CoM and Min called a truce to push in there.

As already mentioned earlier costs are only 100 gold per insured item when killed, and faction fights only take place in Felucca. However if you do get killed in a faction battle you suffer a 33% skill loss for 20 minutes. While this is annoying, it makes fights occur in a series of waves - giving time for breaks and to refortify defenses.

Cities are captured for 3 days at a time, and once they are available again they must be held for 10 hours - leading to typically 2 larger scaled fights per week. This is a change over having to hold sigils for 24 hours - and actually allows guilds to hold them for long enough to capture cities - even if they are a small guild. It also means that fights occur over sigils 2 times a week - with the rest of the time just small scale patrolling and fights if encoutering anyone.

Anyhow, thats the end of my brief on factions. If anyone is interested in joining then they may want to contact one of the guilds above and see if they could do with extra players to attack and defend when action occurs. Might be interesting for people with a spare character on their account who wants to try something new at little risk.

One last note however - always do remember your important items are insured and not cursed - because you would be in Felucca afterall - and its a semi-dangerous place :)

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Excellent posts Spoz, thank you!

I'll add a few personal insights since my own alter ego has dabbled in TB. I was very interested in factions and had talked to Watcher so many times about it that I finally gave it a shot.

I have never been big into PvP before mainly because I don't like to be mean, hehe. What I did find was how much I liked the challenge of keeping control of town sigils and matching wits with other players. I'm hooked.

Now a word of caution from my own experience and it must be said honestly so you know what you are getting into. My personal enjoyment with it was not long lasting because a guild that came into TB came to a disagreement with how to field or control the castle and went all jonestown on anyone not in their guild but in TB. It put my playing in factions on hold until I decide if I want to stay in TB and risk getting killed by someone in my own faction or join another which I am lending towards but will wait to see what Pub 56 brings first.

Now that said, I won't stop doing factions I think ever. It is far too much fun and I enjoy learning a whole new playstyle. You have some great players in each faction so you will definitely learn a lot! Get over owning a grey robe, it's really not that big a deal since I have not seen a lot of yew gate style smack talk. You die, you go into stat loss, you read a book *grins*, you come back and fight some more. The gold loss is nothing compared to dancing with a succubus on a paragon night.

I don't have much more to add just yet because I am so new at it. But I will add that it is worth looking into if you always wanted to try your hand in combat with a purpose over controlling towns. Keep in mind the Devs have some great things in mind for the future of factions, now is a great time to get started or come back.

Hugs,
Airmid

S

Spoz

Come join WoR and CoM!!!

We welcome new players - we're currently defending our base from attack so I can't say much more than that :)

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am in the process of leaving TB to join Spoz and the rest of the old bunch in CoM. CoM was my original faction, and with the help of people such as Tia and Magik Reeves (for those of you who remember him) we held every city for months upon months. I look forward to becoming active in factions again, and bringing honor to the mighty council of mages!

S

Spoz

Well unfortunately TB now have all the towns - we'll have to capture one again to get a warhorse. Fortunately I have one currently in the stables being bonded. I hear you can resurrect them yourself with bandages!

D

Drugist (UZI)

The UZI on LS stole the name from the real UZI on Atl and also on GL.
Cant you kids think of your own guild name and tag? Biters.

X

Xaphan

I wish i had 10 hours of freetime to get a horse!

and it seems tb does'nt even like to fight

And this is what I got outta 2 tiles!

Diebunnydie

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I hope you guys enjoy getting beat by us on a daily and us (BMW!) owning the towns on a weekly basis. Oh and how today we pushed CoM out of there base when all our players were in stat, even though u guys out numbered us and had a tamer.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
HI!
I'm going to give just a general heads up as the flavor of this thread is changing that this is about encouraging the player base to take a look at an aspect of pvp with more challenge and less smack talking and chest thump'n.
Way to prove a point guys!

Unless Chovi wants to resurrect a pvp babble thread, I'm gonna state before one more post gets added that I have a power beyond what should be given a mage and it is working its way up my fingers and towards the keyboard and its called....

DELETE POST/MERGE TOPIC TO THREADS UNKNOWN

Unless you have something constructive (preferably with highlighters and lazer pointers) on how to effectively manage faction sigils and defend them, keep the silly playground sand kicking out before it gets out of hand.

nuff said.

Diebunnydie

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One i wasnt smack talking i was telling the truth. Two you got the guy in minax up there "smack talking" and you dont say anything to him. He is even post screen shots of his "smack talking". Three this is a PvP/ Factions on Ls so basically i was just giving my insight on how it is. Thanks

X

Xaphan

owning the towns? yes, killing any of us? yeah right, thats why you block yourselves in with 1000000 candelbras....because you wont fight. And everytime we do steal the sigils you just wait till we log off and then come take them (like i said, i don't have 10 hours of freetime.) I assure you, you don't fight! Everytime i've encounted BMW! they just ran and if they didn't, they died =O

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One i wasnt smack talking i was telling the truth. Two you got the guy in minax up there "smack talking" and you dont say anything to him. He is even post screen shots of his "smack talking". Three this is a PvP/ Factions on Ls so basically i was just giving my insight on how it is. Thanks
It was not directed at any one person hon, it is a general heads up. My apologies if you took it that way *grins*
I just really really don't want this to turn into a size does matter type of thread k?
All in all its been a good, interesting, all factions representing show of names in faction towns! I'm enjoying the show, hehe. Well done to all players.

R

Rix/\

I wanna play, not sure which faction yet but ya I wuv factions and it's nice to see them get alil attention.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
owning the towns? yes, killing any of us? yeah right, thats why you block yourselves in with 1000000 candelbras....because you wont fight. And everytime we do steal the sigils you just wait till we log off and then come take them (like i said, i don't have 10 hours of freetime.) I assure you, you don't fight! Everytime i've encounted BMW! they just ran and if they didn't, they died =O
See this is why we cant have nice things in here. :sad4:

S

slangmasterfunk

Hello, I was just wondering how this BMW! guild doesn't fight if they have the most kill points on the shard and have for the past month, as well as controlling all faction towns for the same period of time???? BTW the action is looking good so far

R

Ryoko

BMW! simply waits until nobody is on... block themselves in with some sort fo stackable item... and waits 10 hours.... anywhere outside their stronghold they are weak.

Fact of the matter is, TB stronghold is the easiest to defend... 2 tiles wide at 2 diffrent spots to get in, along with small choke-points. CoM base is by far the hardest to defend.. very wide and very short enterence. very easy to Raid.