• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] PVM mage template

• Thread starter Roddy Doyle
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
R

Roddy Doyle

After a few months of playing after coming back after a 5 year or so layoff, I am wanting to change up my mage bard. Basically I want to soul stone my 120 music and 120 provoke and make a mage for pvm (no pvping). So i wanted to get some advice on a decent pvm mage character. Right now my mage is 120, eval at 110 with a cap of 120, med at 110 working on taking it to 120. I soul stoned my magic resist which was 99.5 and took on focus which is going up quite fast and will have it at 100 pretty soon. So my question is when i soul stone music and provoke i will have 240 points to go somewhere. I have been told to take on mysticism and spellweaving. I just wanted to get some thoughts from peeps out there. Like would taking on wrestling and inscription be better or another combo. Thanks for any ideas.

I also use a 100% LRC suite with 70 resist across the board.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I run
magery
Eval
myst
focus
spellweave
resist spells
med
I use jewels to bump some of the skills up and have mane regen of 12 or so in my suit

this is my base template I swap out weave or resist with other skills depending on the situation
Med is around 70 i think atm and marked down when all my skills are where i want them it will be around 50

R

Roddy Doyle

does magic resist really help in pvm...i was told it really doesnt matter much so that is why i was taking it off to add something else

C

canary

does magic resist really help in pvm...i was told it really doesnt matter much so that is why i was taking it off to add something else
It is nice and convenient to be able to resist para and poison without resorting to eating or carrying anything. It also helps you not take a big hit for things like curse, etc etc.

I also stoned my music and provoke, as I got annoyed with anything EM or event related being impervious to the skill set and wasting 240 points on my template.

I took legendary:

*Resist
*Magery
*Meditation
*Eval
*Focus
*Mystic

With a MR of 13 (without carrying anything) I find that I can replenish tons of mana and not have to worry so much with both 120 med and focus. I also have 14 resisting spells on my ring, boosting my total resist to 100 with a protection spell on.

Personally, aside from WoD I don't see much see much use for the additional spells on a mage template when you already have so much at your disposal. I'd rather the points go into being more successful in magery, mysticism and delivering more damage with those spells.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Template

Standard Necro/Mage/Weaver
120 Magery
120 Meditation
120 Evaluating Intelligence
120 Necromancy
120 Spirit Speak
120 Spellweaving

Cost- or Skill-Effective Necro/Mage/Weaver
120 Meditation
120 Evaluating Intelligence
120 Spirit Speak
115 Magery
115 Spellweaving
105 Necromancy
25 [Whatever Skill You'd Like - perhaps focus for extra mana]

Suit

Personally, I never choose all 70s at the expensive of other mods. Ideally, you want your suit to have 100 lower reagent cost, 40 lower mana cost, 6+ mana regeneration, 4/6 casting, 45 defense chance increase, +20 magery skill in order to use a mage weapon, and 60s+ resists.

At a bare minimum, your suit should include 100 lrc, 40 lmc, 2/6, and 6+ mr.

C

canary

Personally, I never choose all 70s at the expensive of other mods. Ideally, you want your suit to have 100 lower reagent cost, 40 lower mana cost, 6+ mana regeneration, 4/6 casting, 45 defense chance increase, +20 magery skill in order to use a mage weapon, and 60s+ resists.
Yes, but the OP wanted a good PvM template. Its much better to be carrying a sdi spellbook or slayer spellbook over a mage weapon in PvM. Its only good to use (imo) a weapon is when you are locked with the 15% sdi in PvP.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, but the OP wanted a good PvM template. Its much better to be carrying a sdi spellbook or slayer spellbook over a mage weapon in PvM. Its only good to use (imo) a weapon is when you are locked with the 15% sdi in PvP.
I carry both on my mages. Depending on the situation I swap them out.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I carry both on my mages. Depending on the situation I swap them out.
Likewise. Mage weapon when clearing lesser spawn, then switch to scapper's for the SDI boost for the high-end mobs.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
He asked about a PvM template, which I gave him. I also offered suit advice--the type of suit that I use on my PvM mages. The reason that I use this suit when fighting lesser mobs is because my casting is interrupted less often. For spawn who die in a single wither, holding a slayer spellbook isn't especially helpful. That said, if the OP does not want to incorporate dci and a mage weapon into his suit, I also gave him/her advice on suit basics: 100 lrc, 40 lmc, 2/6, and 6+ mr.

R

Roddy Doyle

I appreciate the advice :)
Like I said I would drop my provoke and music which would free up 240 skill points and then was thinking of dropping resist which would be another 100 points (well 99.7). So I wanted to get some ideas of which direction to go with that 300 some extra points. I would mainly be hunting within a group of 3 - 5 players so want to be able to support them as well as contribute to the hunt(s). Thanks

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont understand why u need Resistsing spells, i would go for mystic, mage, medi, SW, focus, and eval all 120, beleive me its the best u can do

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like my little gargoyle mystic/mage/discorder. It works well for hunting solo and with other people. Plus with stones you could switch out to provo when needed. If you just want a pure mage type char, then the template that zchosen layed out would be fun to play as well. I guess it just depends on what type of things your planning on using this char for in PVM.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The necro/mage/weaver is a super fun template. Go for high int/mana boosts as well as lmc, mr, and sdi, and plan your resists around wraith form and possibly protection.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am making one right now with...
115 Eval
115 Mage
120 Med
115 Resist
120 SW
110 Wrestling
And the rest in focus.

If anyone sees a problem with this template please let me know.
Thanks!

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am making one right now with...
115 Eval
115 Mage
120 Med
115 Resist
120 SW
110 Wrestling
And the rest in focus.

If anyone sees a problem with this template please let me know.
Thanks!
That is a fine template but I would recommend getting the 120 wrestling. The scroll is dirt cheap and I bet if you asked in GC someone would give it to you. Most people recommend away from wrestling in exchange for -20 mage weapon (and +20 in magery skill items to compensate) to free up the points but I like wrestling myself. If you do not plan on disarming though you could always rock 100 anatomy. GM anatomy and 120 eval = 120 defensive wrestling. You cannot of course use the special moves going the anatomy route.

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is a fine template but I would recommend getting the 120 wrestling. The scroll is dirt cheap and I bet if you asked in GC someone would give it to you. Most people recommend away from wrestling in exchange for -20 mage weapon (and +20 in magery skill items to compensate) to free up the points but I like wrestling myself. If you do not plan on disarming though you could always rock 100 anatomy. GM anatomy and 120 eval = 120 defensive wrestling. You cannot of course use the special moves going the anatomy route.
I can do 120 wrestling for sure. Thanks so much for the info. I am new to this type character (meaning I always have a secondary skill like taming or archery) so I wanted to make sure this was the way to go.

Again, thanks!

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can do 120 wrestling for sure. Thanks so much for the info. I am new to this type character (meaning I always have a secondary skill like taming or archery) so I wanted to make sure this was the way to go.

Again, thanks!

Well I can't guarantee its the way to go, sometimes you need to be crazy like me to WANT to use wrestling...

Xenobia

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I can't guarantee its the way to go, sometimes you need to be crazy like me to WANT to use wrestling...

I'm a little on the crazy side too so I will try anything once and if it doesn't seem to work I will stone it and work at something else. Somehow I think the wrestling is a good idea though :)

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only PVM, so I run with Protection on 24/7, which means I don't need to use FC2/FCR6 at all - freeing up four very expensive and Intense mods on my jewels. My template is maximized for fun and survivability - avoiding direct damage and - and hence, being targeted, as much as possible:)

Mystic 120
Focus 120
SW 120
Magery 115
Med - flucuates from 60 -115
Eval - zero (110 soulstoned)
Hide 100
Stealth 80

suit is 100 LRC 70's 11 MR 40 LMC MI 16 600 luck
jewels +20 magery, +30 DCI, +24 SDI, +14 Int, +200 luck

Main offense is summon RC, then hide:) Takes a bit longer to solo mini champs, but I don't die and I can stealth into or out of anywhere I want. The SpellWeave is necessary for self rez and to beef up your RC so the higher monsters don't dispel. WoD for the win is laways nice, averaging 370ish with Focus3 and 550+ foe Focus6.

Usually carry a sc mage-20 swd +15 DCI and/or shield with SC, DCI15, and 8-15 Phys (help negate Protection penalty). Usual spellbook is a scrappers or Generals book (mr3 30 sdi if casting SW spells).

Aragoni

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My Favorite PVM Mage 4 Champing is my SW/Hiding/Mage from my 2 Pur Mages (Nekro and myst avaibled to as 6 skill setting)

125 Int/110str/ 20 dex

120 Magery
120 Eval Int
120 Meditation
120 Resie
120 SW
100 Hiding
20 Focus

SDI 52% (+ Book and 40% from Arcane) Gear Armor white +20 Magery and +30 Resie white 6 FCR but 0 FC.
+25 HI finished my 130 HP, 40% LMC, 8 MR around at 100% LRC so i can good play white 66/70/70/70/70 white protection on.
Only can play white protection on mage.
Most time i champ on felu and use slayer books in hand but have an mage weapon and shield avaibled to on me thats give me defense if needet and +30 dci (15 mage weapon 15 on arcane shield).

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
60 Necro (for Wraith Form)
110 Magery (for flamstrikes, u wont cast evs, or ee etc...)
120 Eval (max damage for magery spells)
120 Mystic (never Fail colossus)
120 Focus (for max damage on mystic spells)
120 Spell weaving (never miss World of death + timer for arcane circle)
100 Scribe ;)

i dont go 4/6, i think 2/6 is enough
u have 70free skills, and 40 skills from crystaline ring (+20mage +20focus), makes 110

i added 100 scribe for more sdi, you could add 110 resisting spells or 100 meditation which i dont recommend for pvm

N.B: wraith form + good damage = u never get out of mana, its amazing, u should try this template, TRY TO GO MAX SDI PARTS, will help u leaching more mana!!!!

S

Shinners

ZChosen your temp seems very interesting im going to give that shot lol.. Ive never done spellweaving or mystic i was gone from UO before any came out so yeah should be a treat lol..

DungHook

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I'm a returning player building a mage for the first time.

I noticed many templates use Spell weaving. For a PVM mage.

What is the benefits of SW on a Mage?