• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pvm Cu template

Aquarius88

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hello
, my question is what is a bad ass Pvm Cu template. i dont know much about mysticism and spellweaving. maybe these are good aswell? atm i thinking about a Chiv + Armor ignore cu, but maybe there are other good abilitis to go for.
And is it worth to give them AoE abilitys?

Please let me know your opinions.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Depends on what you are fighting. I have found the CHiv and SW Cu to be the best for taking down the bigger things. AOE and Chiv EOO can get your pet into a lot of trouble fast. AOE is best if you are going to be spawning or going into a lot of mobs and want to keep everything targeting the pet. I rarely put a AOE on a CU just not a effective use of points IMO. AOE on a bushi pet with whirlwind which is not a CU is very effective. A Cu naturally lend itself to being a very strong tanking pet with its healing and is a very good general use pet that is very popular as it is easy to keep alive and hands out respectable damage. They are pretty much the new GD but not always the best pet for all encounters. In short IMO CUs are best at single target tanking. Something else to consider is mana cost AOE will drain your mana FAST leaving whatever school of magic it is trained in casting the low end spells and your spec moves like Armor ignore not firing off regularly. AOE also tend to piss people off in fel and on Siege in group settings :)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
This is very wise info and I thank you also Tyrath. Can you tell us from the enhancements to pets what uses manna and what is not?
For instance Special moves do they use manna? magical abilities do they use a lot of manna? are all enhancements using manna? Would also one need to keep the pets intelligence high 300-400 range to regen manna faster, and does int. also affect SDI and manna cost? Thanks for all the info!

Jibbed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Pretty much everything but auto attack uses mana, even healing and life steal.

As far as I can tell isn't does provide a small amount of sdi. Not sure on the mana regen tho

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I can not argue against Tryath's post above... but I have been more than happy at the damage output and the tanking ability of a straight AI Cu. With that build the Cu hits AI about 1 out of 3 hits. While the Chiv Cu can hit 200+ fairly easy it never really hit it often enough for me... the straight AI Cu hitting 150ish every three hits or so out damages the Chiv Cu on the long haul.. provided of course you put a LOT of mana on it as bleed and heal both use mana as well. Best of all is you don't have to worry about the AI Cu getting redlined on side two or three of a spawn because the idiot is mobbed and casting EoO lol.

*edit*

My favorite AI Cu only has 829 hp's but carries 1500 Mana with 30 MR. Seldom have a problem with those hp's due to Consume Damage and Gift of Renewal. :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is very wise info and I thank you also Tyrath. Can you tell us from the enhancements to pets what uses manna and what is not?
For instance Special moves do they use manna? magical abilities do they use a lot of manna? are all enhancements using manna? Would also one need to keep the pets intelligence high 300-400 range to regen manna faster, and does int. also affect SDI and manna cost? Thanks for all the info!
I have came to the conclusion that everytime a CU wags its tail it cost 30+ mana :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can not argue against Tryath's post above... but I have been more than happy at the damage output and the tanking ability of a straight AI Cu. With that build the Cu hits AI about 1 out of 3 hits. While the Chiv Cu can hit 200+ fairly easy it never really hit it often enough for me... the straight AI Cu hitting 150ish every three hits or so out damages the Chiv Cu on the long haul.. provided of course you put a LOT of mana on it as bleed and heal both use mana as well. Best of all is you don't have to worry about the AI Cu getting redlined on side two or three of a spawn because the idiot is mobbed and casting EoO lol.

*edit*

My favorite AI Cu only has 829 hp's but carries 1500 Mana with 30 MR. Seldom have a problem with those hp's due to Consume Damage and Gift of Renewal. :)
Yeah Chiv on any pet can get it in serious trouble with Enemy of One. I have pretty much came down to Beetles, Necro and Bushi pets for spawning and save the Chiv pets for lower diversity areas where they can deal a lot of tanking damage to one specific target. Chiv is very much a double edged sword that cuts deep both ways ;)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have been playing with a couple of Cus and just not giving them a school of magic and either Bladeweave or armor ignore and have been very impressed with how much mana that conserves for AI and the BW spec moves.

fusionx86

Visitor
I've been thinking of making some pets without any magic ability as well. It's great when they land the right spells at the proper time, but so much Mana is wasted the way things work now. I've got a mystic, spellweaving, and poisoning/poison breath cu and starting to think of just going AI and some other non-magic ability only.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
ok a straight AI Cu is nothing more than adding armor ignore? no other skills?
Yes. I personally bump the heck out of their mana (1500 w/ 30mr). Some will say that is overkill but Cu's rip through mana. Then max str, dex and put whatever max hp's is after that.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm also considering making my next CU with only armor ignore and no magic abilities. What do you guys recommend?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm also considering making my next CU with only armor ignore and no magic abilities. What do you guys recommend?
AI / Bush / Parry lesser hiryu....

Far better defense with 120 parry/bushido
Far better mana regen
Much better specials
Still mountable
Not as good of hue selection, but still a few hue choices

Just a thought.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
This is my most recent one I am building. This one is not a target specific one, just an all around use pet which is why the resists are balanced. It can take a while to find one with <80 and <75 cold/energy combo in the color you want to get them all at 70.

Blue Cu.jpg

How I go about the build is probably a little different than others *shrugs*

For anyone interested...
First upgrade:
Blue Cu - First UG.jpg

Second upgrade:
Blue Cu - Second UG.jpg

With enough points left over for 120 Wrestle and Tactics:
Blue Cu - Last UG.jpg

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have started not putting anymore than 250-300 mana on them. As fast as they burn through 1500 mana it is only good for the initial burst and it is rare to see it regen past 175-200 in any fight that last more than 5 minutes. Just seems to me the points can be better spent elsewhere.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I have started not putting anymore than 250-300 mana on them. As fast as they burn through 1500 mana it is only good for the initial burst and it is rare to see it regen past 175-200 in any fight that last more than 5 minutes. Just seems to me the points can be better spent elsewhere.
I can understand that. I had a test AI Cu that had 1500 mana on him and it honestly lasted a good while but the hp's were a little too low and had no points to do the 120's. On that one he would be almost 1/4 of the way through Mel before he would deplete his mana though. To where my Chiv/AI/Cu with 550ish mana was out within the first 5-10 minutes of the fight.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, I've waited until the new system stabilized and am hoping no major nerds are coming and started looking for some new cus last night. I assume Pinco's pet power calculator doesn't mean much anymore? With most everything being adjustable after the tame now, what are the most important attributes I should look for pre tame now, other than color? Thanks

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, I've waited until the new system stabilized and am hoping no major nerds are coming and started looking for some new cus last night. I assume Pinco's pet power calculator doesn't mean much anymore? With most everything being adjustable after the tame now, what are the most important attributes I should look for pre tame now, other than color? Thanks
Color, High Str, High HP. Also give consideration to the over capped resists as they will mean fewer points to allocate elsewhere if you so desire.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks, I figure I'll probably have to waste a few without using any scrolls while I'm figuring it out

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
after testing cu's for a bit i really feel it has to be high hp+max hp regen+INT>STR (str already 600 on cu so work up 500ish INT for better mana regen) to try and stop the healing sink BUT I also don't like the thought of not giving it a magic ability otherwise I feel you should run a Lion/sabre tooth tiger 4 slot with healing and be mounted. Also it looks like Cu will always try bleed before anything else and if the target isn't bleeding it will attempt bleed soon or immediately, if you go to trog cave with a cu these mobs will bandage themselves and you'll see the cu spamming bleed quite often. also against energy vortex's it won't go for bleed realising it's immune, i see a mana sink tho with it having low wrestling as it's attempting to heal itself but keeps getting interupted so goes to try again so it that theory 120 wrestling cu + discorded target should help it a lot more to conserve mana and get the healing off.

Giving it a magic ability you have the issue of needing 600 points (including 120 scroll) + 500 for combat skill 120's so essentially you have only 1900 points to play with.

Imma try a cu with poison breath then save enough points for disco to see what that's like as i heard poison breath is excellent, also bladeweave and crushing blow for specials, crushing blow on discorded targets might be decent + 10 mana save a cast.

edit - on second thought conductive blast over bladeweave or crushing blow improving it's auto's + you spamming lightning/enegry bolt on the target probably better option + it won't cast 2 special's together.

Last edited: