• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pure Mage - still viable?

Xel N'Jare

Adventurer
Getting absolutely destroyed by Liches (in Yew), even in 70+ in all resists gear... am I missing something?

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I think you need to be a lot more specific in what spells actually killed you. Because unless you have ridiculously low HP, or are doing heavy damage while Blood Oathed, then a Lich can't two shot you with all 70's resists - it doesn't have high enough skills to do that.

What skill do you have on your template?
What is your HP?
Are you healing?

You should easily be able to stand with a Lich dumping on you and just heal through it with lesser heals/cure.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Yeah... 2 shot by Liches is rare if you are in all 70's. You sure you did not stumble across Lich Lord Guardians from Treasure Chests?

Xel N'Jare

Adventurer
I think you need to be a lot more specific in what spells actually killed you. Because unless you have ridiculously low HP, or are doing heavy damage while Blood Oathed, then a Lich can't two shot you with all 70's resists - it doesn't have high enough skills to do that.

What skill do you have on your template?
What is your HP?
Are you healing?

You should easily be able to stand with a Lich dumping on you and just heal through it with lesser heals/cure.
I've already started transitioning this toon to sampire (but I'd welcome comments on my 6x mage should I decide to play him on occasion)
Note: None of my skills are 120 yet...

GM Magery
GM Eval
GM Resist
GM Inscription
GM Wrestling
GM Tactics

Given this is a character last played in 2001 - aside from the armor I haven't gotten any jewelry with SDI/LMC - but those won't affect the damage incoming. Typical fight is me pulling a lich with either flamestrike or ebolt - typically their initial dump will take me to half, and while I *can* heal through, I've had them hit me with a 2nd salvo so fast I'm either dead or close to it... I'll freely admit it could be a bad approach, could be my lack of casting recovery/reduced casting time (indeed when I hit I can also two shot them)...

I can screenshot my gear if that'd help - I know this character was my dungeon crawler and never had any issues solo in all but the lowest levels of dungeons (again, Britannia/LL) - just struggling with the itemization and changes.

Critique away, I can take it!

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I've already started transitioning this toon to sampire (but I'd welcome comments on my 6x mage should I decide to play him on occasion)
Note: None of my skills are 120 yet...

GM Magery
GM Eval
GM Resist
GM Inscription
GM Wrestling
GM Tactics

Given this is a character last played in 2001 - aside from the armor I haven't gotten any jewelry with SDI/LMC - but those won't affect the damage incoming. Typical fight is me pulling a lich with either flamestrike or ebolt - typically their initial dump will take me to half, and while I *can* heal through, I've had them hit me with a 2nd salvo so fast I'm either dead or close to it... I'll freely admit it could be a bad approach, could be my lack of casting recovery/reduced casting time (indeed when I hit I can also two shot them)...

I can screenshot my gear if that'd help - I know this character was my dungeon crawler and never had any issues solo in all but the lowest levels of dungeons (again, Britannia/LL) - just struggling with the itemization and changes.

Critique away, I can take it!
Tactics is useless to you. I would recommend replacing it with 80-100 Poisoning or 120 Spellweaving. I'd also replace Wrestling with Anatomy. As ultimately 120 Eval + 100 Anatomy will give the same Defensive Wrestle as 120 Wrestling would. This will free up points to eventually 120 other skills.

You need 2 Faster Casting and 6 Faster Casting Recovery. This isn't too hard to get these days.

Instead of hitting it with a (near) instant damage spell like Flame Strike, you should run around with Explosion pre cast, you can run in and target the Explosion which won't aggro the monster until the damage hits, then immediately cast Flame Strike, this way both spells will land their damage fairly close together, you can then fire a few quick Fireballs to finish it off. Undead Slayer spellbooks are not uncommon these days either and you should be able to find a basic one on Vendor Search fairly easily - this will double your damage.