• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pure Mage Ideas

Kith

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Started a new character. Looking for opinions. PVM Mage. (Not looking for barding or taming with this one. I have those on other characters.)

Magery
Med
Eval Int
Focus
Hiding

Not sure if Resist is worth having these days? Maybe add one of the other spell caster skills?

I know people dislike the hiding skill. I just find it very useful for getting monsters off me when solo. (better than invis spell or potion)

Thanks for any advice.

Fwoosh

Visitor
If you want a pure spell caster you can always go the route of

Magery
Eval Int
Spellweaving
Myst
Focus
Spirit Speak
Necro

Depending on what race you want your character depends on how much necro and SS you'll be having. If you're going to be Elf you'll end up with 100 SS and 20 Necro. If you go human you can go 120 SS and 0 Necro since you'll have 20 from Jack of All Trades, which means you can still get into wraith form.

Kith

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
If you want a pure spell caster you can always go the route of

Magery
Eval Int
Spellweaving
Myst
Focus
Spirit Speak
Necro

Depending on what race you want your character depends on how much necro and SS you'll be having. If you're going to be Elf you'll end up with 100 SS and 20 Necro. If you go human you can go 120 SS and 0 Necro since you'll have 20 from Jack of All Trades, which means you can still get into wraith form.
Thanks for the reply!
With Magery, Spellweaving, Necro, and Myst...do you really use spells across all 4? I've only played with Magery at this point (Necro on my Sampire but he only uses it to leach.)

Fwoosh

Visitor
Thanks for the reply!
With Magery, Spellweaving, Necro, and Myst...do you really use spells across all 4? I've only played with Magery at this point (Necro on my Sampire but he only uses it to leach.)
Yes i use spells from all 4 "schools" if you want to call them that. Magery is the biggest one. Spellweaving is probably the second most useful with self res a Heal over time and then Word of Death that just makes fights end much faster. Myst has some nice spells and then there is the RC that you can use which is almost like having a summonable Greater Dragon. And necro i really only use to get into wraith form hence the need for only 20 necro. If you want to you can change your points around and put some more into necro so that you can corpse skin on mobs that you plan on using fire spells on for more damage.

It really just comes down to what you plan on fighting. There are excellent AOE spells in all 4 of the schools of magic.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
120 Mage
120 Eval
120 Spellweaving
120 Necro
110 SS (120 with talisman)
100 Scribe
30 Med

Suit up with 115+ SDI and go to town. Wraith form for wither/essense of wind for large spawn. Reaper form for SDI boost for bosses/WOD. Corpse/Flamestike combos. Great template.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Thanks for the reply!
I don't think the Necro and SS are needed. You are better off with Meditation and something else such as Resist Spells, Poisoning, or in your case... Hiding. Having every possible casting spell without the meditation to generate mana fast enough just never made any sense to me. Try playing a regular necro mage without the SW and Mystic to see if you even like it before spending the time and effort.

Also - don't forget about all the gear and items you can get skill points from to save some room on your 'natural skills' template. Between scrappers, jewels, talismans and other gear - you have a lot of options to possibly save you up to 100 points or more.