• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Psychological Study of WOW players.

H

HLongman

PARTICIPATE IN RESEARCH
Information for Prospective Participants​

The following research activity has been reviewed via QUT arrangements for the conduct of research involving human participation. If you choose to participate, you will be provided with more detailed participant information, including who you can contact if you have any concerns.

The effects of social support derived from online computer games on negative psychological symptoms and life satisfaction.

Research Team Contacts

Huon Longman, Honours student
[email protected]

What is the purpose of the research?

This research is being conducted as part of an Honours thesis at the Queensland University of Technology. The purpose of this research is to examine the levels of social support derived by players of Massively-Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPGs) from within, and outside of, MMORPGs, and the effect that this social support has on depressive symptoms, symptoms of anxiety, stress levels and life satisfaction.

Are you looking for people like me?

The research team is looking for players of the MMORPG “World of Warcraft” over the age of 18 willing to participate in the study.

What will you ask me to do?

Your participation will involve completing an online questionnaire that will ask you general questions about your activities within “World of Warcraft”; general questions about your life outside of “World of Warcraft”; and questions about any symptoms of anxiety, depression and stress that you may be experiencing. It should take no longer than half an hour to complete.

Are there any risks for me in taking part?

The research team does not believe there are any risks for you if you choose to participate in this research, or where risks exist they have been reviewed and suitable plans put in place.
It should be noted that if you do agree to participate, you can withdraw from participation at any time during the project without comment or penalty.

Are there any benefits for me in taking part?

It is expected that this project will not benefit you directly. However, it may potentially assist in efforts to promote health and wellbeing amongst players of MMORPGs.

Will I be compensated for my time?

The researchers are not offering any incentives for your participation.

I am interested – what should I do next?

If you would like to participate in this study, please complete the online questionnaire by following this link:

Click here to complete survey.

You will be provided with further information to ensure that your decision and consent to participate is fully informed.

Thank You!​