• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PSA - A Simple Request

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you have a newer vehicle that has the "Auto" function on your headlights ... please use it. A few reasons why:

1. You are more visible to oncoming traffic - especially in low-light situations.
2. In rain, turning on your wipers (even in intermittent mode) will turn your headlights on for you.
*** In many states vehicle laws are that when wipers are on, headlights (not parking) are to be on
3. Reverse of #2, shutting off wipers will typically turn off headlights after 20-30 seconds.
4. When the vehicle light sensor determines it's getting dark, your lights are automatically turned on.
5. Reverse of 4, when it's getting lighter and the sensor determines so, your headlights will be turned off.

I know you wanna know WTH is he posting this for at all? I'll tell ya ...

This morning, about dawn I was on my way to breakfast at a diner about 10 miles from the house. Two-lane road and passing zone and 5 over speed limit. Bloke in a pickup is in a hurry so he passes me and there's a black SUV coming at him. I had to slam on the brakes and hope like hell one of these guys wouldn't hit me. My lights were on, trucks lights were on ... SUV had no lights.

SUV was a reasonably new Pacifica and I know they have auto setting on headlights. Asshat.

So please use the auto setting ... it'll lighten your driving load by removing your need to remember turn on/turn off. Thank you ... you may now go back to sleep. <bows and leaves the stage>

ADDED: 1a: with headlights on, taillights are also lit ... making you visible to traffic coming up from behind you. DRL (Daytime Running Lights) do not light the back end of your vehicle - only the front.

Last edited:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
About 15 years ago (wow, where did it go?) I was in a four-vehicle wreck that totaled all four cars.

A driver was going toward town on a four lane highway in the rain, in the dark, with no headlights on. Another car didn't see that one and pulled out in front of it from a parking lot. The first driver hit the second driver and was knocked unconscious. The now-unconscious first driver came across three lanes into oncoming traffic, hit me, and pushed me into a van. We walked away, but others went out in ambulances. Yeah, headlights, people.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
holy moly! you were majorly blessed in that. hope no-lights got responsibility for the damages.