• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PS3...

J

jamison

Has anyone tried playing on a PS3? If you've the previous MGS4 pack, you've the last PS3 that can play PS2 games (emulator) Before then you needed the 60GB machine that had the PS2 hardware.

Newever PS3's lack both the hardware and the emulator so cannot play PS2 games.

Anyone know if the game works on one of the older boxes? I've gotten a PS3 that can play PS2 games, it would be interesting to see if it works with FINAL FANTASY XI.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep it works. When hubby's 360 died he stole the kid's PS2 disk, installed on PS3 and was good to go til the 360 came back from Microsoft. We hvae that 60gb backwards compatible model.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep it works. When hubby's 360 died he stole the kid's PS2 disk, installed on PS3 and was good to go til the 360 came back from Microsoft. We hvae that 60gb backwards compatible model.
Sorry excuse the ignorance, but backwards compatible model? Meaning? Have not gotten a PS3 yet...had been looking into it though.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's the easiest way I can say the techogarble Jamison said up there. The old PS3s will play PS2 games, the new ones cannot.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's the easiest way I can say the techogarble Jamison said up there. The old PS3s will play PS2 games, the new ones cannot.
OMG, wow! I did not know this. And, I was just fixing to get a PS3. Wow, thanks so much for the information. I'm going to have to look into this. Is there any way to know right off? I'm assuming any bought now would only play the new PS3 games?

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You'll have to do research, as I'm not positive anymore about the way to differentiate. I BELIEVE the only the 60 gb hard drives are backwards compatible, but I am probably wrong.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You'll have to do research, as I'm not positive anymore about the way to differentiate. I BELIEVE the only the 60 gb hard drives are backwards compatible, but I am probably wrong.
Yeah you are correct. I looked at a good answer on yahoo answers. The person that had the good answer stated basically that only the new ones have 2 ports and DON'T play the older games. The ones that have 4 ports ARE able to. Sorry to say I can't remember which of the threads it was. It was a pretty detailed answer though.

J

jamison

Technogarble! I love it!!

Anyhow

Old 80GB drive (MGS4 game bundle but not the decorated PS3 version)
Old 20GB drive (This one actually has the PS2 hardware AND the PS3 hardware)

Newer 80gb+ PS3 will not play PS2 games.

Now for more fun, the older PS3's can play PSone games as well.

Not every game works though. Not long ago, I found the following link. If you have an older PS3, then you can use the following link to find out if your game as known issues or if it'll work great!

Check Game compatibility on your PS3

You'll be happy to know that Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, FINAL FANTASY IX, FINAL FANTASY X, and FINAL FANTASY XII work great on a PS3. FINAL FANTASY X-2 does not show the subtitles in FMV sequences and FFVII... The classic, the one that changed console RPG's forever... The one that made us all Chocobo Breeders and introduced us to Sephiroth is COMPATIBLE!!! WOOHOO!!

The only Caviate is to make sure that your PS3 is up-to-date. You can either connect via the network, wireless or bluetooth connection or download the update from the Playstation website to a memory card.

You've got to love this game!