• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] Provocation targeting

S

Spogfrawn

Provocation is one of the most powerful PvM skills in UO -- and one of my favourite!

But I have no idea how to get this skill to work with the new targeting system. I've been dragging health bars again and using those like in the old client. Anybody have any better solutions on how to manage provoking one monster onto another by using the new targeting system and maybe a macro or two?

PS Give me highres! I want highres! I neeeed highres! *Foams at the mouth*

S

Spogfrawn

Well, I guess nobody has thought of a better way to do this. I had a fiddle with a few ideas and found one that works...

Make a provocation cursor icon on your hotbar. Then place a "target current" icon next to it. Then press tab to select the first monster. Click the provo icon, then the target current. Then press tab again to get the next monster. Finally press target current. It seems kinda laborious, but it does work.

I thought about making a macro to target nearest enemy etc, but I need to choose which monster to provo, since it is often best to target the easiest monster first so if it attacks you its better than the stronger one =) Also, some monsters can only be provoked onto and cannot be provoked to attack...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's a macro for it, I've seen it. Have you looked in the sticky thread?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
There's a macro for it, I've seen it. Have you looked in the sticky thread?
this is the one greyghost posted and it is in the sticky
Macro is now

Target Nearest Enemy
Provoke
Wait for target
Target Next Enemy
Cursor Target Current

S

Spogfrawn

this is the one greyghost posted and it is in the sticky
Macro is now

Target Nearest Enemy
Provoke
Wait for target
Target Next Enemy
Cursor Target Current
This is great. However, it doesn't give me the option of choosing which monster to provo first or even which monster to provo. If I'm at Gauntlet for example, I want to be provoking the Lich Lords and Rotting Corpses onto the Dark father not onto each other, or onto a skeleton. I don't know how to solve this problem with a macro =(

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
This is great. However, it doesn't give me the option of choosing which monster to provo first or even which monster to provo. If I'm at Gauntlet for example, I want to be provoking the Lich Lords and Rotting Corpses onto the Dark father not onto each other, or onto a skeleton. I don't know how to solve this problem with a macro =(
you could try this

cursor target current
provo
wait for target
cursor target next enemy
cursor target current

this will allow you to provo whatever you have targeted onto next enemy not exactly what you want but a little more control

the other thing is you could try changing cursor target next enemy and change it to cursor target stored and make the stored target the DF i am not sure if the target would have to be resored for every DF or not
but this would provo whatever you have targeted on df

F

Fink

Some good ideas here. I have a 4x120 Bard, so I'm keen to see what macros come out of this discussion.

In practice, day-to-day playing, I'm still using the Legacy method of either cursor targeting the mobiles directly or targeting hp bars. I find I have greater control this way, but perhaps it's just a matter of practice. I've been trialling other methods as the new targeting system is just too good to ignore. I'll post anything useful I discover.

D

Diggity

I find that using current target for the 1st provoke target then leave the cursor for manual targeting for the 2nd. For the 2nd, either use current target or manually apply the target - mostly for stuff like df's. Provoking is a lot easier now that you can use the target actions.

Since target switching is a big part of provo and other UO actions in general, I think what is missing is a way to ad hoc store and recall specific target, eg the dark fathers.

It seems like it would be possible to use a command script to store the current target id into some variable. This could be hotkeyed. Call it A.

Then a second command script to recall the stored target id into the target window. This could also be hotkeyed. Call it B.

As an example in doom, find DF, press A. The df is now a stored target.

Wait for suitable spawn, set it to current target. Then a one key macro to provoke current target onto the stored target.

1. Provoke current target
2. wait for cursor
3. B - command script macro recalls the DF set by A
4. cursor target current

If the command scripts will work like this to store and recall targets on the fly, this could be a pretty compelling reason to use SA style targeting. No reason multiple targets could not be stored for future use as well.