• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Protection spell...

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Do many of you fellow mages use this spell? I do and not a fan of the resist spells penalty(-35)... how good is casting focus at max?

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Casting focus cap is 12% with gm inscription providing an additional 5% overcap. CF is cool, but not something you can necessarily rely on for getting heals in, even at 17%. If you're using a spellbook w/out anat/eval or wrest, throw on a mage weapon when things get hairy first. You can go back to the slayer/sdi spellbook when it's time to stack damage and you're not so focused on surviving. If you still can't get heals in due to enemy casters, poison, etc then hit Prot until you're safe again.

To me the worst thing about prot is the FC delay, which will absolutely kill your dps on a caster. It also makes GHeals take an age to cast. Lord GOD is right in that you don't want to run it all the time, as if you become reliant on that, you're basically forgetting how to play your class. It is very good for getting that invis in, though, when shtt really hits the fan!

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Playing in prot all the time usually just gets you killed to poison cycling as you can't cure then heal fast enough without the FC.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
If you find yourself falling in the habit of staying in prot, turn it off for a change and amaze yourself with how big a difference FC makes. I tend to do this myself quite bit, as keeping protection on all the time makes sense with some characters. My tag-along mystic bard stays in prot and stone form all the time, which makes it easier to jump over and pop a RC or a cleansing winds on my main. Stone form means he can't be poison cycled, and the extra resists (along with bard masteries) makes him very easy to put in park and forget about.

When I go back to playing my main mage, it's tempting to put protection on immediately when I get interrupted. I can only speak for pvm, but seriously put on a mage wep and tell me how much trouble you have with interruptions. And if it's poison consider FC2 giving you a nearly instant-cast lesser cure, or a GCure that seems to cast as fast as lesser in prot.

There are times when I do *always* have protection on, like spawning. Wither spamming as many toe-to-toe enemies as possible means prot is good for the timely invis+heal, and I use it a lot on spawns with a lot of casters. It's comfortable having protection on knowing you can always get that invis or heal in, but don't let it become a crutch! Try living on the EDGE and going without! lmao

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
If you find yourself falling in the habit of staying in prot, turn it off for a change and amaze yourself with how big a difference FC makes. I tend to do this myself quite bit, as keeping protection on all the time makes sense with some characters. My tag-along mystic bard stays in prot and stone form all the time, which makes it easier to jump over and pop a RC or a cleansing winds on my main. Stone form means he can't be poison cycled, and the extra resists (along with bard masteries) makes him very easy to put in park and forget about.

When I go back to playing my main mage, it's tempting to put protection on immediately when I get interrupted. I can only speak for pvm, but seriously put on a mage wep and tell me how much trouble you have with interruptions. And if it's poison consider FC2 giving you a nearly instant-cast lesser cure, or a GCure that seems to cast as fast as lesser in prot.

There are times when I do *always* have protection on, like spawning. Wither spamming as many toe-to-toe enemies as possible means prot is good for the timely invis+heal, and I use it a lot on spawns with a lot of casters. It's comfortable having protection on knowing you can always get that invis or heal in, but don't let it become a crutch! Try living on the EDGE and going without! lmao
Very nice info! What does the mage-0 or -20 weapon do for interruption? Does it diminish the chance of interruption? That would be awesome! TY for info!
Also : Are there in the game any one hand GARG mage -0 weapons? TY!

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Mage Weapons use your Magery skill (after the adjustment of any pluses or minuses) as a Wrestling defence check against melee/Archery/Throwing attacks.

If a monster and you have 120 Wrestling there is a 50% chance they will miss. This is then extended further by DCI.

If you had Magery 120, with a -0 Mage Weapon, that is the same as having 120 Wrestling/weapon skill.

I believe there are two -0 Mage Weapon artifacts in the game. I think one has a Gargoyle version and the other can be converted.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Yeah, you'll still be interrupted by enemy spellcasters, but for me anyway that's not the biggest problem when playing a mage pvm. Having the mage wep will allow you to run through the hordes of monsters in your way and still get that timely heal/cure/invis in, and honestly you'll find yourself needing to heal a *whole* lot less, anyway.

If you're the type who likes to hold a spellbook, but don't have room on temp for wrestling//anat, give that mage weapon a try. You will find it's easier to out-maneuver the casters line of sight than it is to only cast when you have no adjacent mobs attacking.

I'm just saying don't let protection be a crutch, not that you shouldn't use it at all. It's a very handy spell when shtt hits the fan, but running prot all the time may cause you to forget FC2 is pretty darn handy, too!

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Plus Prot and no Mage Weapon still means you're getting hit 100% of the time, so even though you're not getting interrupted, you're frozen for longer and getting hit all through the cast, and still afterwards which often can negate the heal you got off.