• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Magery] Protection or No Protection

TaldarinZPhoenix

Adventurer
Essentially, I feel like I must always be running protection, because I am constantly fizzling due to interruption. The only times I feel like I can “get away” without it are against 1-2 enemies against which a summon is tanking.
I always need it during champ spawns and any of the mini champ spawns in the abyss.
Do any mages (mystic, spellweavers, Necros too) do the same thing?

Is relying on protection a “crutch” and I simply need to improve my skills as a mage?

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Event with Scribe and Max casting focus you'll have a hard time casting high level spells against anything that casts back at you. So you either need a summon/pet tanking or you'll need to rock protection.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Event with Scribe and Max casting focus you'll have a hard time casting high level spells against anything that casts back at you. So you either need a summon/pet tanking or you'll need to rock protection.
“Rock protection”? Does that mean keep it on?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You could try using a mage weapon. I like the shaman staff that is -0 so you don't need to counter it by having +magery skill.

TaldarinZPhoenix

Adventurer
I have used blades of prosperity in the past as a mage weapon as part of my luck suit, but it doesnt help at lets say at almost any point in the semidar spawn, or against balrons, etc. and since I wont have a slayer spellbook, I am effectivly doing 1/3 the damage.
In addition, as a human with 120 eval and JoAT 20 anatomy, I have effectivly “80” wrestling. With 45% DCI I am only hit 48% of the time by a mob with 120 wrestle, (a bit less with JoAT 20 parry, i usually have a chaos shield vesper replica on). Hard to justify cutting my damage to 1/3 for ~10% less chance of being hit.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Is relying on protection a “crutch” and I simply need to improve my skills as a mage?
Short answer, yes.

With 2/6 casting, melee defense and dci on your character your should be able to cast. You'll always fizzle if you cast into incoming damage, and some spells are instant and can't be timed against. You can also bolster your character with casting focus on items and/or from scribe for a small bit of help, but in general you need to learn to just deal with it as being in prot puts you at several disadvantages. Chiefly getting poison cycled to death, and damage output from lack of combos.

JBOlsen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im using 4/6 FC/FCR on my Necromage/SW/tamer duing champs, ill invis and let the mobs target my pet/summon and then start with a essence of wind followed by thunderstorm. This gives the mobs a slower casting/recovery time, and gives me the time to cast slower spells.
Im not using defensive wrestle or mage wep. due to my tight template and imbued jewels.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
You learn something every day. Did not know that mage weapon offers benefits similar to protection.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Very nice.. can you elaborate this a little bit? Thanks..
Mage weapon converts your magery skill into weapon skill, for the purpose of hit/miss calculations. A "Mage Weapon -0" with 120 magery will essentially give you 120 weapon skill for the purpose of hit/miss (so against a mob with 120 wresting, 50% miss rate).

Mage Weapon -20 will give you a weapon skill equivalent of 100, etc.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Mage weapon converts your magery skill into weapon skill, for the purpose of hit/miss calculations. A "Mage Weapon -0" with 120 magery will essentially give you 120 weapon skill for the purpose of hit/miss (so against a mob with 120 wresting, 50% miss rate).

Thanks for info..

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you can also make up for the -20 magery by having +20 magery on your jewellery

the same goes for the mystic weapon mysicism mastery spell by the way

Naxatilor Feluka

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everyone you encounter that says "you should always run protection" or "you should never run protection" is wrong. Those are people you do NOT trust when asking questions. The truth is you will get the most benefit out of your mage chars by having a macro for protection, and by default have it off, and when you get into a sticky situation you put it on until you are once again in control of the situation.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Personal choice really... I agree there is no "one deal fits all"..

for me as a general rule.. PvM - Protection On PvP - Protection Off