• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Protecting the Community

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On my agenda is to construct a sticky thread with information that can be used to protect the community, especially new or inexperienced collectors. This can include scam prevention, safety tips etc

Such as...
Current 'false rares'
Detecting hidden before locking/unlocking anything in your home
Etc.

Please keep in mind these are tips, suggestions and things to look out for. Naming certain individuals to avoid is not allowed, however... if we can take away the tools they used to pray on the inexperienced we'll be doing those in the community a lot of good.

What type of information do you feel needs to be included?
What advice would you give your fellow collectors?

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Never follow someone through a red moongate to do a deal.
a. If the seller insists, use a broker

2. Deals 100 mil or under can be done via a vendor. If more than 100 mil, use a broker.

3. Never accept a guild invite from the buyer or seller. Most likely its a scam and that person is a thief who can steal from you.

4. When dealing with lanterns, be extra careful as the owner can double click and return the lantern back to backpack but still leave an image in the trade window.

5. If you are unsure on the worth of an item, USE THIS BOARD for information and price checks.

6. If a deal seems too good to be true 99.9% it is too good to be true.

7. House placement tools can instantly check how much is in your bank account. So if you receive a bag say 80 mil and you are too lazy to check 1 by 1, then put the bag in the bank and use a house placement tool it will tell you instantly how much it is. :)

8. Items that can be dyed, make sure you double check and see if the original item was of a special hue. If not, then the value of the item should be decreased.

9. Be careful not to fall into a bidding war. I know we all have egos to stroke but the one who gets burned is usually the one stuck with the item at the end of the bidding war lol.

T

Trevelyan

Another one Manticore should have put :D

Be careful as to the access level set on house items. If a player can use an item with charges or that can be destroyed through use, before long someone very well may! The same goes for dying containers which are accessible to anyone.

D

DVI

When using a broker insist on using one you know. And trust not one the seller suggests unless its someone well known that you are comfortable dealing with.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Take note of what people are wearing if and when possible.This can come in handy when dealing with impersonators down the road.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Take note of what people are wearing if and when possible.This can come in handy when dealing with impersonators down the road.

Good tip but can get you in trouble at times. It has actually happened in the past but most identity thieves won't be that intricate. However, independently verify using ICQ and/or Stratics account as well.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Can we get an updated "trusted persons" list? I know the one for Catskills is well out of date.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can we get an updated "trusted persons" list? I know the one for Catskills is well out of date.
Are we talking about the one in the UO Trader's Hall? If so, I'll contact the mod for it and see if they can find a way to update that. When you say its out of date, do you mean those listed are inactive or that some of their credibility might be in question? (without naming specific names please)

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Assia to be honest I went back to look and couldn't even find the post anymore!
It was largely inactive and I had posted in that thread that it needed to be updated. Perhaps whoever is mod of the forum it was on just took it down or made it un-sticky? I'm not sure.
It's hard for newer players who don't know who's who to come into this world of ours. I mean we all know each other, but everyone doesn't know us... know what I mean? When I saw that post I thought it was great... until I looked at how old it was and that those people weren't active anymore on my shard.
With the number of new EM event collectibles I was sorta hoping we could get a whole new group of people interested in collecting.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay folks working on that list of exploit items. The red mushrooms that resemble the Miniature Mushrooms in Heartwood CAN still be made. Since I know that is an item that has been referenced rather recently, I wanted to give you all a head's up.