• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Prospector's Tool question

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For background, I use the EC and the target by resource macro.

Sometimes I notice when using the prospector's tool that I get a different grade of ore from the spot than what the tool tells me I should get. It may say that dull copper can be mined here but then I may get a hit or two of shadow iron ore from that spot, along with dull copper and regular iron ore.

Is that intended?

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Happens to me too, but I have an Elf miner. I think Elves have random chance to get misc ores.

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Happens to me too, but I have an Elf miner. I think Elves have random chance to get misc ores.
I cant get the prospectors tool to work, do you have to read a book or something? Plus does anyone know where you acquire the knowledge to mine for the normal gems, I heard its in the new gargoyle city, any clue as to where. Perhaps on the jewelers shop? Thx in advance

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I cant get the prospectors tool to work, do you have to read a book or something?
You have to strike the spot with a shovel or pick one time before using the prospector's tool. Give that a try - should work.

M

miss uo

Plus does anyone know where you acquire the knowledge to mine for the normal gems, I heard its in the new gargoyle city, any clue as to where. Perhaps on the jewelers shop? Thx in advance
Can be purchased at the Blacksmith shop in Ter Mur Mining Quality Gems.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Using the prospector tool once, will only affect 1 resource square.

Target by resource will typically find 2-4 different squares that you can mine from where you stand.

The other color ores (and probably some of what you are mining of the main color and iron) are coming from unaltered different squares than the one you hit with the PT.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
if you are using the prospector tool you are better off not using target by resource in my opinion!

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if you are using the prospector tool you are better off not using target by resource in my opinion!
No kidding. I had no idea the prospector's tool and target by resource didn't target the same resource area. Guess I will have to alter my macro!

Thanks for the info Basara! You are the king! :)