• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Project: Gorgon Official News] What’s New This Week

Project: Gorgon News Feed

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Just a quick update about where things are at. The Legends of Etherell guys are cranking out awesome character artwork for Project: Gorgon. As I mentioned a while back, we’re going to do something like an art-for-server-tech swap.
If you’re interested in their progress, you might want to check Will Barry’s scrapbook web page every day or two. (Unfortunately it doesn’t have an RSS, and the pictures come and go, so checking it periodically is the only way to see everything. Artists! Whimsical.)
Here’s the current version of the third race, the Rakshasa (click to see big), in one of their armors:

The Rakshasa have a leather motif in their armor, whereas Humans are more about plate armor, and Elves are more about nature motifs, magical clothing, and exposed flesh. But any race can wear any other races’ armor, so if you want to be a plate-armored elf, that will work fine. Each armor style will have slightly different game mechanics (for instance, elven armor is less effective against being stabbed, but protects better against magical lightning), but thanks to the random-treasure system, it’s likely you’ll end up mixing and matching styles based on what you find. At least while you’re leveling up.
Here’s an early elf male, showing off one of their clothing styles. (The armor’s finalized here, but the face and hair are placeholders.)

(You can also see lots of other stuff, in various stages of completion, on Will’s site. I especially like the Wood Spirit.)
I’m jazzed to see the Rakshasa in the game. They’ve always been a part of the backstory, but I didn’t expect to have them playable at launch. Actually I’m pretty excited to see all this stuff coming together — three custom races, plus faces and skin tones for each, plus several interchangeable armor suits for each, plus new monsters… it’s a lot of art! And it looks great!
So I’ve changed plans for pre-alpha 3, and I’m focusing on getting this art into the game as soon as possible. It’s important to locate any kinks in the art pipeline ASAP, so this has to take priority over other stuff, like new content and game systems.
And in fact I’ve already hit a major flaw in my tech. It can’t accomodate multiple downloaded materials in a single piece of equipment, and that’s necessary if we want to let flesh poke through the armor (e.g. in the elven armor where you see the torso exposed under the armor). In the stock artwork I’d been using, that just never happened, they were all full-body armor suits. So I didn’t think about it. But there are actually a bunch of weaknesses in how I stream character assets. It needs to be a lot more flexible.
So I’m neck-deep in a rewrite of the asset-management system. Not a fun task at all, because the game is unplayable while I do this rewrite, and it involves a lot of cursing and late nights of coding. But in the end it will mean I can handle almost any sort of avatar artwork.
I doubt I’ll hit the January deadline for pre-alpha 3 now, but the delay should be worth it: there will be lots of new avatar options and, I’m sure, tons of hilarious bugs to find!
Death Penalty Coding: Done!
Before I forget: I finished up the “Hardcore” death penalty system. There’s a sign in the newbie town called the “Hardcore Declaration Board” where you can announce that you’re hardcore, effectively switching your death penalty to the harsher one. If people examine you, they’ll see “Hardcore” in your list of active challenge bages. (Along with any other voluntary challenges, like Vegetarian or Lycanthrope.)
You can switch between normal and hardcore at will, and right now I’m not sure that ever will need to change. However, I do need to avoid one scenario: people leveling up to max level in Normal, and then switching to Hardcore and pretending they were always Hardcore. That seems like it would take away from the prestige too much.
So maybe I’ll record the number of levels you’ve been Hardcore for, and display that… damn, I don’t have character levels! Maybe I’ll record the amount of XP you’ve earned, or something, as a Hardcore player, and show that to people. (You should still be able to level up on Normal and then switch to Hardcore… I just don’t want that to look identical to someone who leveled up on Hardcore from day 1.)
Item “Lost”? Out. Item “Broken”? In.
I’ve also implemented ANOTHER of Matt’s ideas for Hardcore mode. Instead of the items dropping on your corpse when you die, the items “break”, and “a piece of the item” remains on your corpse, rendering the item useless. (This looks pretty weird when you find something like a bottle of water has been broken… there aren’t really any “pieces” of that to break off. But hopefully players can roll with that and it won’t make things too weird.)
If you go back to your tombstone and click it, all your broken items are fixed and you’re back to normal. If your tombstone fades away, there’s an alternate way to repair your items: you can right-click any broken item and it will guide you toward where its missing part is. When you’re standing in the right spot, right-clicking the item repairs it.
So there’s no longer any chance of permanent item loss. And I like that for the convenience of it: lots of us have lives that don’t allow us to stay up all night searching for their corpse before their items melt. However, I’m a little afraid that this takes too much oomph out of the death penalty, because there’s never any real danger of losing your item forever. What do you think?
There are lots of benefits to this approach, though, which is why I picked it. First, you can hand those broken items to other players, and then can go repair them for you. Or hell, you can sell your broken junk to people and they can go repair the items and keep them! It also simplifies inventory management, because the items never disappear from your inventory, they just change state. That made it a lot easier to code, too.
This is likely the last update on Hardcore mode for this pre-alpha iteration, because I’ve moved on to other stuff. But we’ll re-evaluate after the next play test, and of course I’m always interested in hearing your ideas now! (Even if I don’t act on them.) And again, thanks Matt! And thank-you to several others whose names I’ve forgot!
Elder Game is sponsored by:

Continue reading...