• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Production cities going offline? HMMMM

H

hollythor

SOOO, if we can't play half of our sims, and maxis is taking their time with the merge...could be a month or so away, does this mean we only pay half our ea subscription fee? Sounds fair to me. What is it we are paying 9.99 a month for again? Someone pls tell me?

I

imported_CherryBomb

We have a Test Center, and a city which is clearly labeled "Beta." It would take more gall than I have to charge for that.

CherryBomb

edited to add: I know, I know. I have more gall than most.

C

calvinscreeksim

question for a dev...would now be the time to set every single production city sim for move to EA-land? since once the 20th rolls by we can no longer use those sims correct?

G

<blockquote><hr>

question for a dev...would now be the time to set every single production city sim for move to EA-land? since once the 20th rolls by we can no longer use those sims correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a dev, but I can answer that.

If you want your sims to get to EA-Land sooner rather than later, you can choose to move. You will NOT keep your house.

OR

You can just leave your sim, and it will eventually get merged along with the house. A timeline has not been released yet as to when merges will start, my guess is they want to get all of the bugs in the system worked out first.

C

calvinscreeksim

but if I leave any of my sims there I basically cannot play them until they sort out the merge issue right? if they are going to merge at all that is.

H

hollythor

DOesn't seem right does it? THANKS FOR SHARING DEVS on why you are taking the cities offline. NO MERGE, NO SIMS, yet we are paying customers. Sometimes I think they forget that. HELLLOOOO we have the right to know what is going on around here. Real money we pay, not simoleans. Please remember that.

G

<blockquote><hr>

but if I leave any of my sims there I basically cannot play them until they sort out the merge issue right? if they are going to merge at all that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. It's come down to deciding whether playing them immediately, or in the immediate future is more important than retaining whatever property to you, or not. If the properties are more important, then the trade off for getting to keep them is that the sims will be inaccessible until the merge. If you just want to have the sims with the days and locks, like so many others do, then the bullet train is the way to get them in a reasonable timeframe.

They haven't said that there's a possibility that the cities won't move *at all* yet, so I don't know if that's a possibility, but its my bet that if that does become an eventuality then that will be the least of our worries when we're given the final 90 day notice and told that no sims will be available to play, anywhere but in the offline games.

I

Inge Jones

At times like this I am glad to be a Noob and not have to worry about old sims festering in a closed city

G

" if they are going to merge at all "

Seems like a good time to take my accounts off-line too, (voting with my wallet again).

T

turtleface

<blockquote><hr>

We have a Test Center, and a city which is clearly labeled "Beta." It would take more gall than I have to charge for that.

CherryBomb

edited to add: I know, I know. I have more gall than most.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I can't help but agree with this. It seems pretty ridiculous to expect people to keep paying to play in bug infested beta/test places. Onlu EA would do such a thing, lol.
I wish tso was owned by a different company.... if only it had been from the start, i'm sure we'd have better customer service, it would never have been neglected, and by now it's potential as a game would have been fullfilled to a significant degree...It could have been competition for games like second life... things would never have gotten to this point...whine, whine, whine, whine, whine... lol... i complain and whinge too much.

G

Hey ((hugs)) I don't think this is your classic whine and complain moment...they are BETAS and we shouldn't have to PAY for them.. Period. So on the 20th I'm going dark too (thanks to the skill lock discussion that went on for like 10 pages I now know, duh, that I can suspend my accounts for 89 days safely
)

G

Well they could have closed the game and made us wait 2-5 years for EA Land to open, instead we get to take our sims and houses and our stuff along for the ride, even if that ride is delayed. I guess I paid for it all for over 2 years when i wasnt playing, its not much different to me to pay for it now and see what happens next. But then I never could stand to not see what happens next.

I wouldnt want to be unsubscribed on amnesty day and find out that was the only day it would ever happen!

T

Tristan Lewis

89 days but the way i understand it Daddy will be running when the merge happens so any inactive acct weather it 1 day or 900 days at the time of the merge will be poof sims gone!!!!!!

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I think posters just want some 'reassurances' that the merges are going to actually happen and I don't blame them.

Personally I wonder if I should take the gamble and keep my sims in MF so that I may save my house or should I send them on to EAland. All or nothing yanno? (Are the trains even running now? My sim in DG was set to move awhile ago but she's still there. She has some very valuable cargo on her and I wouldn't want her stuck in production for months and months while they 'figure' things out.)

Maybe the team just needs us out of the production cities so they can prep them and then just take the whole game down for a day and get it done the way 'other' games do?

Everyone just wants a bit more info to be release especially since it appears the cities are closing in less then a week.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Hey ((hugs)) I don't think this is your classic whine and complain moment...they are BETAS and we shouldn't have to PAY for them.. Period. So on the 20th I'm going dark too (thanks to the skill lock discussion that went on for like 10 pages <u>I now know, duh, that I can suspend my accounts for 89 days safely
)</u>

[/ QUOTE ]
Assuming that the devs have not changed that little feature as some suggested.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I wouldnt want to be unsubscribed on amnesty day and find out that was the only day it would ever happen!

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely!
I can hear the bitchin' now: "They should have SAID something!" [cry]

To quit now, after all the waiting, all the anticipation, all the anxiety - doesn't make much sense. We're on the verge of finalizing the opening of EA Land and the associated merge. When this is finally finished, the devs can concentrate on aspects of the GAME rather than the merge. Improvements should come along at a faster rate.

I

imported_SimTripps

So true - Donovan, you rock! lol...
I'm sure the devs are fed up with the problems and delays with the merge just as much as we are lol..

And Dutch - don't lose Freddy!!!! rofl..

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

So true - Donovan, you rock! lol...
I'm sure the devs are fed up with the problems and delays with the merge just as much as we are lol..

And Dutch - don't lose Freddy!!!! rofl..

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be beyond devastated if I lost Mr. Mercury.
...and I would also lose 2 of my favorite sims that happen to be parked there.

Now I'm getting really really nervous.....hope the devs say something to sooth us really nervous people.....bbl....gotta go get some more coffee....

F

Flaming Beaver

WARNING: This is NOT a pro-EALand post.

<blockquote><hr>

To quit now, after all the waiting, all the anticipation, all the anxiety - doesn't make much sense. We're on the verge of finalizing the opening of EA Land and the associated merge. When this is finally finished, the devs can concentrate on aspects of the GAME rather than the merge. Improvements should come along at a faster rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect Donovan, something similar was said about the game back when TSO was in beta. It didnt happen, alot stayed in the game for friends and I was one of those. My friends and I worked together, we worked hard, we made money (yes the old fashioned way). A group of friends that consisted of at one time 30+ accounts. By the time the talk of EALand started most of the friends had given up and accounts had gone down to around 20. Still, in the production cities we had money, each other and fun. Since EALand has begun those 20 accounts have gone to 10 and fast going down to 0, if things dont change.

Our sims are old, we have worked hard in the last 5 years. Now everything we have worked for has been taken away with the exception of items and possibly property IF the merge ever happens and we are forced to go to a city where we have to begin again. Sorry, but this is like telling your 80yo grandma that she is out of a home and has to get out and find a job.

We were told by Lee that this was to make a better economy and to add things to the game. Ok, I see custom content and 8 sims per account. The custom content is great for those that want to make and add things to their game. Eight sims per account is one I dont understand but Im sure its great for some. But a better economy? I dont see it. I see pay outs on job items at next to nothing, not even enough to come close to purchasing a lot in a weeks time unless you play TSO most of your rl day OR better yet go buy money. Sorry, but buying money isnt an option for some people and others refuse to buy it. So those that can will buy money and be rich little simmies, and those that cant/wont will struggle just to be able to buy a lot and build. I realize that the reduced payouts were to combat bots but explain to me how. The bots will just keep on jamming, doing pizza, whatever it is they do and make money just not as much. I just dont see how any of this is balancing the economy.

Now to make matters worse, we are told that production cites will go offline permanently before the merge ever happens. With the way things have gone with this "new" game, no one can really blame us for fearing that in a months time EA will post something that says, "So sorry but due to technical difficulties the merge will not happen. We will move your sims to EALand as quickly as possible but unfortunately all properties will be lost." There are people with rare lots, roofs, and houses that have sentimental value and those people dont want to lose them.

I realize at this point, Im probably rambling and making little to no sense but my frustration with this "new" game is at an all time high and I dont see it changing. I started the game when it was in beta and never left. I once loved logging into TSO daily but now the only reason I log in is to see if friends are on, which usually they are not since EALand opened. I will stay and wait to see what happens by the end of the month but sadly there is a good possibility that at that point I will be going.

Flame if you want I think I can take the heat with a name like mine

Flaming Beaver

D

DGLita

Is a property so important? The devs just dont know how long this will take, and we dont know what their priorities are until they tell us. Your sim coud be in a closed city for a week, or it could be in a closed city for a month or more.

If EA had any sense they would drop the price of property in EAland for a few days to let people move over and restart. Get people moved on the bullet train and they they wont have to merge the cities.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

Is a property so important? The devs just dont know how long this will take, and we dont know what their priorities are until they tell us. Your sim coud be in a closed city for a week, or it could be in a closed city for a month or more.

If EA had any sense they would drop the price of property in EAland for a few days to let people move over and restart. Get people moved on the bullet train and they they wont have to merge the cities.

[/ QUOTE ]

If all the citizens of one city do choose to move out, then and only then will that city become available on the EA-Land map without a merge.

The odds of every sim in a city moving out is very low, but it could happen.

The whole point of merging cities is having more than one area on the global map to live instead of us all being crammed into the one.

F

Flaming Beaver

<blockquote><hr>

Is a property so important?

[/ QUOTE ]

For some, yes it is. It could be for sentimental reasons or it could be because they own a rare lot like an island. My friends and I have an island in BF that we dont want to lose, not only because it is a rare lot but because it was given to us by someone that has now left the game. I also have a lot in AV that was built by another friend that has left. Others may have lots that they worked very hard to build and have finally gotten them perfect. So for those of us who refuse to part with lots that are special to us, we have to leave sims to sit and be unuseable for who knows how long.

I have to agree with Gracie here, it is highly unlikely that every sim in a city would move to EALand. There will be at least one lonely soul in all cities waiting to come back to life.

Flaming Beaver

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Well....there will be 3 lonely souls in AV and a bunch in MF.....

Though I do own all 4 lots on an island in BF....and I have some pretty sweet houses in DG....but I'm not really attached to those so I may seriously consider letting them go and placing all those sims on the train.

G

<blockquote><hr>

89 days but the way i understand it Daddy will be running when the merge happens so any inactive acct weather it 1 day or 900 days at the time of the merge will be poof sims gone!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see where the source of this came from....It doesn't seem totally impossible, but it does seem really unfair when the policy has been 90 days before deletion. Those sims missing out on the amnesty and not getting their locks based on entitlement days if they're not registered on March 8th, yes I can go for that, but if I was gone and came back on say March 10th to find that not only did I not get my gifts reissued and my locks converted to entitlement days, not only that but my sims wiped too if I had only been gone 6 weeks or so.....yeah....mad puppy!

G

<blockquote><hr>

I think posters just want some 'reassurances' that the merges are going to actually happen and I don't blame them.

Personally I wonder if I should take the gamble and keep my sims in MF so that I may save my house or should I send them on to EAland. All or nothing yanno? (Are the trains even running now? My sim in DG was set to move awhile ago but she's still there. She has some very valuable cargo on her and I wouldn't want her stuck in production for months and months while they 'figure' things out.)

Maybe the team just needs us out of the production cities so they can prep them and then just take the whole game down for a day and get it done the way 'other' games do?

Everyone just wants a bit more info to be release especially since it appears the cities are closing in less then a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

The trouble is, they can't give those reassurances now....because of past history. If they made the promise, which is almost just like a reassurance that it was gonna have, and then something went fubar and it turned out it couldn't happen, surely you as well as I can already see the "SEE?!?!? EA IS A BUNCH OF LIARS!!!!111111" posts. Not making promises one way or another keeps us in sort of a limbo, but it's alot better than building a house on sand and then watching the whole thing crumble. Bottom line is even with all the uncertainty they need our support to keep it going, they need everyone that can to stick it out and be as patient and tolerant as possible.

The one thing I do hope is that we find out the date that the bullet train will be leaving between now and the 20th, because we were told that there would be one, and that's information that I am almost 100% sure we'll get because they KNOW that answer.....the rest is as up in the air for them as it is for us.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I realize that the reduced payouts were to combat bots but explain to me how. The bots will just keep on jamming, doing pizza, whatever it is they do and make money just not as much. I just dont see how any of this is balancing the economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You nailed it on the head yourself....yes, they are still making money but not as much so they are putting illegal simoleans into the economy, but at a slower rate. In a perfect EAL word bots will be demolished, and the big time botters banned.....IP ban would be best. So the economy isnt perfect, but its alot *more* balanced than it was before. If you want to be angry about the payouts that's justifiable, but be angry at the people who are trying to make things top heavy by botting, not EA for trying to combat those botters.

You have to look at it from a non-selfish standpoint, and realize that this is all for the greater good....no, it isn't right that the 'innocent' have to suffer for the guilty, but in truth in the old world none of us were really innocent. Even those who didn't bot.....if you bought simoleans from a botter, or took a payout from someone who bought simoleans from a botter (someone's about to say that they couldn't have known the person did that, but there is a suspension of disbelief problem with that alibi when you're handed 25k-50k per jam case where in the Sam Hill did you thik the simoleans came from LOL), or even accepted a large gift from someone who did those things. And I include myself in this group because I did some of those things myself....that's why I say WE all are guilty.

In this new world we have the opportunity not to be guilty though. You can choose not to buy simoleans from an individual selling them trying to undercut EA because it's obvious those simoleans were produced by botting. You can choose not to go to a payout house once they pop up. If you're a newbie and someone offers you a large sum of simoleans, be suspicious of where they come from.....if in doubt you don't have to accept them, or you can accept a lower more reasonable amount. We have the oppportunity to literally start our sim lives anew with a clean slate....what individuals choose to do with this chance is up to them, but when you choose, just be aware that your choice is not only affecting you, it trickles down now and has an effect on the community as a whole.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not even necessary for them to lower the prices, since having a house is not essential to gameplay. It will probably be a very long time before I have a house, so my sim will be homeless and will visit other lots to meet the needs I have. If people that are very attached to their sims and their sims' posessions, they could do the same thing....as far as roof art goes, I know there are still some talented people in that area here, and I don't know what their rates would be in the new economy system, but I certainly hope they wouldn't be what they were in the production cities.....they couldn't be otherwise there would be no customers cuz not even botters can afford the 200k-300k rates at this time. So you could probably take a screenie of your roof and see if you can find one of those artist that might just be able to recreate it for you.....if not exactly then maybe pretty close, or maybe you can find a design you like even better.

L

Lucky Lisa

what's the difference between mass simolans botters and atm users?

botting unfair .. rockstar kids with large credit card limits, less than 500 bucks is pocket money, just as unfair.. ?

(i'm not any of em... second i wish) but trying to control economy by stopping mass simolean printing by botting and then putting out atms .. well, just dont fit... if you try to make it a whole economy thing.

they could easily adjust economy round botters as atm users.

I

imported_SimTripps

I don't plan on moving all my sims to one city, although I've been wanting to move out of mafia-infested BF for a long time lol... I have a feeling once the merge happens, people will go and explore, and different cities will go in and out of being trendy to live in. There are a few cities that I have never visited - DC and DG in particular - and would LOVE to go romp around them, visiting the cool houses there. It'll be great - it'll be kinda like travelling the world from your computer chair, sim style rofl...

N

nobuttkisser

<font color="red">
DOesn't seem right does it? THANKS FOR SHARING DEVS on why you are taking the cities offline. NO MERGE, NO SIMS, yet we are paying customers. Sometimes I think they forget that. HELLLOOOO we have the right to know what is going on around here. Real money we pay, not simoleans. Please remember that.

Post Extras:

CBrewton5
Grand Poobah

Reged: 06/29/04
Re: Production cities going offline? HMMMM [Re: calvinscreeksim]
#699985 - 02/13/08 11:49 PM

</font>

<font color="orange"> no its not that they "don't" forget, because it sounds like to me anyway, that most of the users/gameplayers want it all at the same time and I bet, as soon as Beta becomes retail and EA Land becomes a reality for every production city, the SAME USERS will find something to b****, moan, and groan about. NEVER SATISFIED . there is a nice "trait" that people need to acquire and practice. it's called PAITENCE... I mean this is only a game, why get uptight about it. when the game is ready to go compleately public, you will know it and you will be able to play YOUR game unless you go in with the express purpose to find something wrong and start the process of complaining again....
</font>

I

imported_SimTripps

I would understand if the cities were down for weeks - if this was the case, then the, 'I'm a paying customer and deserve better', rant might be appropriate... But once they closed the production cities next week, I doubt they'll be offline for more than a day or two. The devs are smarter than that - the last thing they want is to piss people off more than they already are by having them offline for any longer lol... And if by chance they WERE offline any longer, you'd probably find a gnome in your inventory as compensation after the merge lol.. Nope, the merge will happen soon after Feb. 20th, or soon after the prod. cities officially close. The merge will not be without problems, but they won't be critical ones - they'll just fix them one by one as they come along..

G

<blockquote><hr>

I would understand if the cities were down for weeks - if this was the case, then the, 'I'm a paying customer and deserve better', rant might be appropriate... But once they closed the production cities next week, I doubt they'll be offline for more than a day or two. The devs are smarter than that - the last thing they want is to piss people off more than they already are by having them offline for any longer lol... And if by chance they WERE offline any longer, you'd probably find a gnome in your inventory as compensation after the merge lol.. Nope, the merge will happen soon after Feb. 20th, or soon after the prod. cities officially close. The merge will not be without problems, but they won't be critical ones - they'll just fix them one by one as they come along..

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not assume/hope for any of that. I would imagine the merges to take longer than that. I would imagine that we are going to be expected to understand the fact that they are doing their best to fix the game. Overall, it might mean week to month we aren't able to play our production sims. But <u>we all have access to EA-Land </u>, so we really should not be complaining.

We all pay $10/month. We all have access to EA-Land. Seems pretty fair to me considering we all agreed to the term that gameplay may change at any time without warning.

I am not going to assume that just because our access to part of the game has been temporarily restricted that we will be rewarded in any way.

<font color="red">Reading this to myself I realize I come off as a little rude. If you notice the same, please do not be offended because I don't mean to come off that way. I just do.</font>

I

imported_SimTripps

I'm a paying customer and deserver better...

j/k Strike lol... Nah, I hear what you're saying... I sounded a bit too certain and presumptuous... Guess it's because I'm hoping it won't take any longer than a couple days after the closing... If we were talking months, well... then they better get prepared for ALOT of account cancellations... Mine included...

G

Oh, I'm sure we're all hoping the same thing.

Here's to (hopefully realistically) hoping.

Now let's just <u>hope</u> the devs make our hopes come true.

Just kidding, devs, you know...about the whole whip thing.