• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

problem with runics?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Ok so I just recently started my smith back up he is 105 and climbing
I had lost all my bods and have just started collecting again and decided to fill a couple for the dull copper runics and wanted to see what kind of mods I would get just for fun I was making chain coifs as they are 100 % exceptional
now first I made 2 with normal hammer
they were as follows:
31 total resists each
both exceptional
str 60 each
and 51 and 52 durability
pretty normal so then I make 2 with dc runic and here is what I got
chainmail coif crafted by FLINT exceptional Weight: 7 stones reflect physical damage 4% physical resist 6% fire resist 4% cold resist 10% poison resist 1% energy resist 6% strength requirement 60 durability 44 / 44, Price: --

chainmail coif crafted by FLINT exceptional Weight: 7 stones stamina increase 1 physical resist 7% fire resist 5% cold resist 4% poison resist 2% energy resist 8% strength requirement 60 durability 49 / 49, Price: --

Why are the resist totals way less when crafted with DC runic than a normal hammer if anything they should be the same shouldnt they not lower?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
oh and I used iron for all made

Reinzeld

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, read the FAQ. One of the downsides of using the lower-end runics is that you only get 6% increased resists, as opposed to the 15% you normally get from being gm. (My numbers might not be exactly right, but the concept is what's important--you have to use a higher-end runic in order to counteract the loss of resists.)

I

imported_Kallie Pigeon

Yeah don't make armor with low end runics. Some will say don't make any armor with runics (use barbed sewing kits to make armor). It depends on what you want to do with the results of your hard work. I make armor with my bronze hammers and have made some good pieces but the really good ones are few and far between. However I use the stuff for may own characters since I can't compete with spawn farmers and multi-smith players. So I upgrade all my characters armor when I make stuff and save the good pieces and smelt the rest. With dull copper runics I make slayers and 100% elemental damage weapons for my characters. I am in the process of upgrading my weapons to 40% damage increase weapons (I smelt what I can't put into bods). However there are runic changes promised and you might want to hold on till then.

Reinzeld

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Of course, at this time it's better to use runic sewing kits if you're going to make armor, since metal armor is still sucking hind tit (for some still-unexplained reason).

Most people use runic hammers for weapons. I dunno, I've never had any of the high-end hammers anyway (and am nowhere near having one, either)--but I have burnt a number of DC hammers for fun (back when you could buy 10 or 15 of them for 500 gc each on vendors everywhere).

I

imported_Kallie Pigeon

I am in the process of burning through some dc runics making weapons and I am not sure if I should be happy or sad. Temporarily my item count is going to go up till I figure out what is useful to me. I was making weapons with iron and made several interesting property items although they aren't often 2 or more good properties. The maximum values on properties I got so far include luck 94, hci 14, life leach 54, mana leach 62, ssi 25. I am thinking of making them in gold as per Setnafa's method but I need to mine a bunch of gold elementals first since all my high luck pieces went poof. Oh yeah also damage increase 54