• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Priorities

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was just posting over on the KR forum about some difficulties I was having with that client. After deciding what I really need is a new computer, and salivating over the one I want that costs 3500+, I decided to make a list of things I could spend that money on and then prioritize it. This is the list so far, in no particular order:

1. New computer, monitor and etc. $3500.

2. New kitchen range and granite counter tops (not my suggestion).

3. Install french doors out to the patio and replace several leaky double pane windows.

4. Convert my car to run on natural gas.

5. Paint my tennis court.

6. Get a decent new entertainment center.

7. Help my grown kids to avoid bankruptcy.

8. Save in bank till election is over to cover possible taxes next year.

9. Repair septic tank and dig new leach lines.

10. Buy new set of golf clubs to replace 40 year old ones I am using now.

11. Take my wife on a second honeymoon on our upcoming 30th. anniversary.

12. Replace living room furniture which is starting to embarrass even me.

Well you get the point... I have been playing UO for 11 years now and really would like to get up to date on graphics and all especially before SA arrives. I am leaning towards putting the computer at the top of the list.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I think the fact you have a tennis court to paint makes buying a new system that can run KR/SA a non-issue.

The BIGGEST two things you need for KR to run nice and smooth are about 2gig of PC3200 DDR RAM and a 256 Meg AGP or PCIe video card, neither of which cost all that much (unless you're still running a P2 in which case you'll need a new mobo, chip, RAM< etc).

O

Old Man of UO

Just what Dermott said...

I just built this two weekends ago, and it runs KR great.
AMD 9950BE
awesome Asus motherboard w/built in wireless
Zalman 9700 cooler (CPU runs about 33 deg)
Coolmax 700 watt power supply
Rosewill tooless tower case
8 GB ram (running Vista to use it all... XP can only use 3 GB)
500 GB harddrive
Asus 4850 512MB video, factory overclocked
DVD w/Litescribe
and several other nice add-ons
$982 at newegg...
22" Samsung monitor $199
and just mailed in several rebates so the monitor is half price...

You can build a very nice system for about $500 that will run KR just fine, too. RAM is cheap right now, about $12/GB and several $50-$75 video cards will run KR good enough.

I think for $3500, you must be looking at a laptop.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think number 8 is the most important on the list.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Even a laptop that will run KR nice and smooth will cost less than $1600 (just look for 256 - 512 of DEDICATED video RAM).

My laptop is almost 2 years old and runs a GeForce Go 7600 256 Meg video system in it and KR runs just as smooth on it as it does the desktop with a 7950 GT 512 Meg card.

$3500, I can only guess the guy is trying to buy a top-end Mac... at retail.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Even a laptop that will run KR nice and smooth will cost less than $1600 (just look for 256 - 512 of DEDICATED video RAM).

My laptop is almost 2 years old and runs a GeForce Go 7600 256 Meg video system in it and KR runs just as smooth on it as it does the desktop with a 7950 GT 512 Meg card.

$3500, I can only guess the guy is trying to buy a top-end Mac... at retail.
I'm running a $400 budget PC that I went and dropped 4g/b of RAM into and added a Nvidia 8000 series PCIe x16 graphic card with 1g/b of Graphics Memory. Add the 22" monitor I bought separate and I'm out about $850

Runs KR rather Smoothly....

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I was just posting over on the KR forum about some difficulties I was having with that client. After deciding what I really need is a new computer, and salivating over the one I want that costs 3500+, I decided to make a list of things I could spend that money on and then prioritize it. This is the list so far, in no particular order:

2. New kitchen range and granite counter tops (not my suggestion).

3. Install french doors out to the patio and replace several leaky double pane windows.

4. Convert my car to run on natural gas.

5. Paint my tennis court.

6. Get a decent new entertainment center.

7. Help my grown kids to avoid bankruptcy.

8. Save in bank till election is over to cover possible taxes next year.

9. Repair septic tank and dig new leach lines.

10. Buy new set of golf clubs to replace 40 year old ones I am using now.

11. Take my wife on a second honeymoon on our upcoming 30th. anniversary.

12. Replace living room furniture which is starting to embarrass even me.

Well you get the point... I have been playing UO for 11 years now and really would like to get up to date on graphics and all especially before SA arrives. I am leaning towards putting the computer at the top of the list.
There's no firm date on SA and the client for it is going to be a good bit different from the KR Client from what they were saying. I think they said the system requirements were even lower...so if it was me? I'd focus on #7 so they don't wind up living with you.....

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sweet jesus... what are you spending all that money on? You can build a pretty great computer for like 1.2 or less.