• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Predator and Prey

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In the quiet of the evening I often contemplate the days happenings. Actions of others I have witnessed, the subtle manipulation and movement of pawns. This day however has already proven to be most intriguing and full of surprises.

True my hunting grounds have been pushed far from the Kingdom for obvious reasons, but never had I expected in this day and age tp encounter one of them in such a place. Their kind, their true kind rather, have been gone for what feels an age.

Hunters. Vampire Hunters.

It had been moments after I had finished with a brigand, her blood soothing the thirst for the moment, when I had heard the distinct snapping of a branch underfoot behind me. A metallic clink alerted my mind, a sound which in previous encounters usually meant a crossbow being readied. Always with the crossbows they were, did they not know there were other weapons which were far more useful?

Clearly even now I can remember the way his voice cracked slightly as he spoke out towards myself... So young, too young.

"St..Stay where you are"

And there we had gone again with the cliche vampire hunter aspect...First a crossbow, and then with the speaking instead of taking action. Thirdly, attacking a vampire in the middle of the night the moment after he had fed... Third mistake.

I had ignored him of course, standing up to my full height and turning my gaze upon my would be attacker.
Young had been an understatement.

A mop of oak brown hair (unkept as so usually is the case in the young) with barely any stubble upon his face. 15? 16? A nuisance, not a threat.

Manipulating this child would prove no hard task. Indeed my lips had already formed a smile as my feet carried myself closer step by step.

"And if I do not stay away? What do you plan on doing?"

In my defense, I deserved what followed next for asking such a question. A ringing crack as a shaking finger tightened upon the release trigger for the crossbow, the bolt smacking heavily into my right shoulder.

Mistake 1 for myself. Mistake 4 for him.

Biting back the urge to strike him down, I went about removing the damn bolt while keeping my eyes fully focused. My other senses working to ensure I was not going to be ambushed further. Still I advanced and perhaps this sight was what made him throw the crossbow away, drop to his knees and begin sobbing.

Standing before the weeping form of the boy I gave him several moments, during which he babbled out his reasoning and nearly his whole damn life story. Name of Simon, couple of siblings, lived on the outskirts of Cove, needed coin and thought perhaps killing me would grant him favor enough with some group to get paid for it. Amusing really.

It was nothing personal. Please forgive him. Never do it again. So many phrases pouring forth, enough to finally get patience to break. I recall dragging him to his feet, murmering words just loud enough for him to hear about and then shoving him away to run into the woods.

I had thought at first, before his nonsense came out, that he had been initiated into a group of hunters. I suppose I was wrong, and thankful to be so. The last thing I need is for that profession to become popular once more. Vampire Hunters...a nuisance every so often. No, if they wanted me dead my enemies would come after me themselves.

If nothing else, just for the satisfaction if they managed.

Moments passed by, only after the fifth minute since the boys departure north did had I finally turned my feet that direction as well.

The night was young, I was irritated and the thirst had flared back up after I was shot.

Smiling back on it now... Giving him a five minute headstart had been a nice way to spice up my normal feeding habits.

-Va'lis