• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Power, Vanq, Mystic a Retrospective.

G

I am going to explain the Power, Vanquishing, and Mystic weapons. To do that we will need to take a journey back into the good old days of the game and work our way forward.

Long ago in a time before mouse over properties and AOS attributes. Before insurance and colored ore. Before ITEM DECAY lol. We had to identify any weapons or armor we found to reveal the properties contained on them.

Back in those days the power vanq and mystic weapons were a bit different than we know them now. You also had additional properties on weapons and they would read something like:

Supremely Accurate Longbow of Vanquishing

And so on. Supremely Accurate would equate to high HCI in AOS attributes. Vanquishing if memory serves me correctly would equate to medium Damage Increase in AOS attributes.

But those days are long gone and the old weapons of Power, Vanquishing and Mystic strength lost the special names they once had but kept the attributes converted into today's equivalent for AOS attributes.

Skip ahead a few years to the Britain invasion spring of 2005. It was at this particular event that the Power, Vanquishing, and Mystic weapon names were seen once again. This time they were different. Durring the invasion of 05 deep green colored monsters would spawn called Generals. These particular monsters when defeated had a chance to drop the new weapons with the Power, Vanq, Mystic names.

At the time the weapons were nothing more than replicas of the old weapons but with the name to match. However later we would have a use for these weapons specifically.

Moving on to the Ophidian invasion of 2006. It was at this event that we saw a special version of the P.V.M (Ironic Isn't It!) weapons. These came in a few forms such as the sceptre and bardiche. They had names like "Mystic Ophidian Bardiche" These weapons were used against the Ophidian Berserker to deal hidden damage that would penetrate the special defenses of these creatures. This was the first time a "Berserker" creature was seen and would not be the last.

Forward once more to the Demon Invasion in Magincia 2007. This would be the last time anyone would lay eyes on magincia as a town lively and bustling with daily activity. It was during this event that we would see a use for the P.V.M weapons both from the Britain Invasion and from the current Demon Invasion in Magincia. Some of the demons would drop the P.V.M weapons on their corpse during this event and we would need either those or previously gathered P.V.Ms from 05 to battle the Daemon Berserkers that would spawn around the gate for this event.

You could also use your Ophidian P.V.Ms to deal the needed damage and it worked as it did on the Ophidian Berserkers.

NOTE:
The Ophidian Berserker would drop a "Berserker Bardiche"
The Daemon Berserker drops the "Berserker Scythe"

Now that we have a history of events and the P.V.M weapons role in said history let us move forward one last time to the current time.

The Blackrock Locator in moonglow failed as we saw and lead us into "The Rift" a time shifted version of moonglow that is perpetually stuck one day prior to the machine failing.

It is here that the P.V.M weapons play their part once more. In the Rift are the Daemon Berserkers perhapse remnants from magincia perhapse they are simply back for more one can only speculate. But what we do know is that there is only one weapon for the job a P.V.M! Preferably the M...

And so this concludes my history into the past events and the role of the Power, Vanquishing, Mystic weapons.

I

imported_xStrikerx

Now they just need a P, V, or M version of a spellbook so mages can do something against them.

G

in the old days the order from weakest to strongest was in this order.
force, power, mystic, and vanq.
now there is no force and they swapped the mystic and vanq around.
kind of makes me sad that they changed the way the old legacy weapons was.

G

Never knew there was a Mystic in the old Wep days.... Only knew of these with these mods - Vanq + 9, Power +7, Force + 5, Might +3, Ruin +1. As far as I can remember the Mystic was never a part of weapons class til the Britt Invasion that I can recall.

B

BadManiac

There was no Mystic weapon back then, top end was Vanquishing.

G

Obviously Doomsday Dragon is trying to appear to be a Vet, when he's not. Either that or his memory is WAY off.

Mystic did not exist back in the day, and we did have Item Decay, ALOT of it. One reason why the Blacksmiths at Brit Forge were always busy, people were constantly losing their Armor/Weps to looting and breakage. Macers in particular were REALLY nasty on Armor, within the first 4 hits they were almost guaranteed to bust some piece of someone's armor, most likely their Shield.

In order from worst to best in terms of Weapon Damage, it went Ruin, Might, Force, Power, Vanquishing. Exceptional Weps made by a GM Smith were equivalent to Might.
In terms of Weapon Accuracy enchantments, it went Accurate, Surpassingly Accurate, Eminently Accurate, Exceedingly Accurate, Supremely Accurate. They gave +Wep Skill or +Tact, depending on whether it was a Melee or Archery wep.
In terms of Wep/Armor Durability Enchantments, it went Durable, Substantial, Massive, Fortified, Indestructable.
In terms of Armor Defense, it went Defense, Guarding, Hardening, Fortification, Invulnerability.

"Supremely Accurate Longbow of Vanquishing"
Longbows didn't exist. There were only 3 types of Archery Weapons. Bow, Crossbow and Heavy Crossbow. Repeating Crossbows and Composite Bows were not introduced until AoS. Yumis were not introduced until SE. Magical Shortbows and Elven Composite Longbows weren't introduced until ML.

G

Hi there,

there was no mystic and if Im not totally lost you missed ruin and might.

Order from weakest to best:
Ruin,Might,Force,Power,Vanquishing

Edit:Didnt see that several poster already have stated this.

Regards
The Scandinavian

angelus aconitum

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The most powerful weapon against the berserkers is the Berserkers Bardiche, which I got from an Ophidian Berserker during the Invasion of Vesper.

It does much much more damage than my Mystic Weapon or my Berserker Scythe.

I compared it several times on the Berserkers and watched the health bar, how much it drops with one hit, with 5 hits, how long it takes to take him to 3/4 health, ........ it's always the berserkers bardich which does the most damage.

The Mystic Weapon also does a good amount and I would say that the Berserker Scythe is like a Mystic Weapon.

G

Hi,

I triedd for a very long time to get the indestructable invulnerability suit....and managed to complete it just a few months before the news came out about the new system that was about to be inplemented.

Regards
The Scandinavian

G

Yeah. I had gotten a full Ind/Invuln Plate Suit by killing Orc Brutes when they came out for like a month and a half. I went through a ****LOAD of ID Wands/Staffs. Orc Brutes ALWAYS had a piece of Magic Platemail and a Magic Warmace. Got my Macer a Ind/Exceedingly Acc/Vanq War Mace that way too, only way it could of been better is if was Supremely Accurate and Silver.

With the Ind/Invuln Plate Suit, a Fortified/Invuln Metal Kite Shield and Arch Protect cast, my Macer had a AR of 95. Non-Magical attacks really didn't do crap to him when he was in it, and he had 80s - 90s Resist at the time so Magic wasn't too much of a problem either (Magic Resist actually worked back then and could lessen the damage of any magical attack, including direct damage spells like E-Bolt). With my Macer wearing it and wielding that War Mace, he was like a heavily armored tank that hit like a ton of bricks and busted people's armor all the time. I only tested it against other people a few times, because if i got ganked, it could be looted off me (No Insurance back then).

G

Mystic is equivalent to what we once called "runic." The first runic weapons would have 40 DI, whereas Vanq was translated to 35 DI, in the AOS system.

Ruin - 15
Might/GM - 20
Force - 25
Power - 30
Vanq - 35
Mystic/Runic - 40

Later, GM was upgraded from 20 standard to 35 standard, and now, with Arms Lore, 40 standard. When Mystic came out, it was during the early stages of weapon specials, if my memory serves me right, which, were RNG based. Mystic level weapons were a hot commodity when they came out, but eventually became limited due to the lack of high end runic hammers, changes to standard damage from blacksmithy weps, and the availability of high end mods off of loot.

5% Luck

No one remembers the Invuln bug with the 4th lvl treasure chests? Well for a while there, there was a treasure hunting bug where all the items in a "4th" lvl chest(dug up) was either invul or vanq! I must of sold 50 suits that month. That was my 1st mill gold(well quite a few actually) I made ever!

I

imported_Skrag

Epic fail. There was never a "mystic" weapon in UO prior to 2005. The term is a reference to the Mystic Sword and (I think) Mystic Armor you could get in Ultima IV.

G

There were no mystic weapons in UO before the britt invasion.

There were only ruin,might,force,power,vanq.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Obviously Doomsday Dragon is trying to appear to be a Vet, when he's not. Either that or his memory is WAY off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just bad memory because it was so long ago. I have been around since day one not beta but from the time the game was released until now. But I was like 15 when I started playing I am 26 now and it has been so long that I forgot about some of the other types like ruin and such until they were mentioned.

Anyhow the point was not to cover 100% the old versions but to give players who were not around for that an idea where this stuff originated and what it has become today.

Hell I can't fully remember the details surrounding the 05 invasion most but some I can't.

K

Karthcove

<blockquote><hr>

Never knew there was a Mystic in the old Wep days.... Only knew of these with these mods - Vanq + 9, Power +7, Force + 5, Might +3, Ruin +1. As far as I can remember the Mystic was never a part of weapons class til the Britt Invasion that I can recall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup - don't recall a mystic either. And weps could also have "charges" like feeblemind and stuff.

K

Karthcove

<blockquote><hr>

Mystic is equivalent to what we once called "runic." The first runic weapons would have 40 DI, whereas Vanq was translated to 35 DI, in the AOS system.

Ruin - 15
Might/GM - 20
Force - 25
Power - 30
Vanq - 35
Mystic/Runic - 40

Later, GM was upgraded from 20 standard to 35 standard, and now, with Arms Lore, 40 standard. When Mystic came out, it was during the early stages of weapon specials, if my memory serves me right, which, were RNG based. Mystic level weapons were a hot commodity when they came out, but eventually became limited due to the lack of high end runic hammers, changes to standard damage from blacksmithy weps, and the availability of high end mods off of loot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still have a double slayer (Dragon/Ogre) halberd I made with a bronze runic back when bods first started - it has 20% damage...

G

You know I never said mystic existed back in the old days...

All I said was that to better understand these weapons we would need to go back to when power and vanquishing existed and the reason that I even mentioned it was because some of us still remember owning vanq weapons.

I remember when the introduced the 3 in 05 under the AOS attributes system and many people thought they were directly bringing back the old weps. While that was only true partially I also saw some people referring to the current versions and mistaking them for the ones from long ago.

I simply wanted to show the distinction between them and give a bit of explanation.

This is not some historically correct look back at the weapons we once had just a quick look at where the current weapons came from and what they are now used for.

D

Draken-Korin

Well Doomsday at least you got one thing right, this is not an historically correct trip down memory lane. You may be a vet but your a vet with a bad memory, young or not.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The Ophidians ALSO dropped the same Power, Vanq &amp; Mystic weapons as the 2005 invasion - I have a nice display of them from each invasion.

What the difference was, is that people knew of the "SPECIAL" Ophidian Staff (a sceptre, actually) &amp; Ophidian Bardiche, that came in all of the 3 forms off of the spellcasters and warrior types, and the Berzerker's bardiche (and the occasional Doom Arti, and Invalis' ultra-rare drop), that they never bothered to look at the other loot, and see that those that didn't drop the "Ophidian" p/v/m weapons dropping the same event weapons as the 2005 Despise officers.

G

Right I mean I wanted this to be historically correct in a sense but was to lazy to research it at all lol.

Seriously though its been a long time. I remember quite a few things from the early years of the game but when it comes to details forget it because it was so long ago. Looking back there are a lot of things I was there for and remember but if you actually look it up it was different from the way you remember it.

G

Maybe there was confusion between Mystic and Might. But that is the order I recall as well.

Mavar

P.S. I feel a need to stir-up the item-based game debate. I've said elswhere that we have had a item based game since the first Supremely Accurate Scythe of Vanquishing spawned.

G

we have had a item based game since the first Supremely Accurate Scythe of Vanquishing spawned.

This is true.

G

Wasn't the introduction of scythes after the move away from that system? :p

I

imported_Cysphruo

invul armor was pointless when people got the idea to make hybrid chars, the right mage/dexer would own anyone in 2 hits

T

telmigakdov

seems like you all forgot about my fave wep from the old days, A silver ANYTHING [sword, mace, whatever] that was effective against undead:]

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

i stand corrected!
. i new there was more then then just the force power and vanq, i forgot the might and ruin and slipped in the mystic by mistake trying to fill in the gap i guess. sorry i was half way asleep when posting! lol

G

<blockquote><hr>

You know I never said mystic existed back in the old days...

All I said was that to better understand these weapons we would need to go back to when power and vanquishing existed and the reason that I even mentioned it was because some of us still remember owning vanq weapons.

I remember when the introduced the 3 in 05 under the AOS attributes system and many people thought they were directly bringing back the old weps. While that was only true partially I also saw some people referring to the current versions and mistaking them for the ones from long ago.

I simply wanted to show the distinction between them and give a bit of explanation.

This is not some historically correct look back at the weapons we once had just a quick look at where the current weapons came from and what they are now used for.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep that was me and my faulty memory! lol sorry
was just trying to add a little more info to your post and goofed it up!

G

<blockquote><hr>

seems like you all forgot about my fave wep from the old days, A silver ANYTHING [sword, mace, whatever] that was effective against undead:]

[/ QUOTE ]

silver was posted a few post before yours where some one said a weapon they got and the only way it could have been better if it was silver and something else was missing off of it

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you seem to have a faulty short term memory and cant remember who posted saying what that ya should have just read a min ago. Last time i heard it was better to have a good short term memory then long term. 99% of the population do forget some details that has happened during 5 or more years ago. So i think ya owe Doomsday a hey im sorry! but by the time ya finished reading this you would have already forgot to do that!